Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Put A Connecting Rod Through My BLock

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006 | 03:16 PM
bigbri

Sorry to hear man....
Old 06-19-2006 | 03:46 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
This is a very good point. A basic easily 600whp safe shortblock is about $3600. Engine removal/Replacement/accessory swap is about $2500...around $6000-$6500 complete.
If he is reffering to a short block, meaning no heads, then the motor needs to be dissasembled and reasembled.This is what is the most time consuming on a VQ motor.Look how much darn silicone they put on the front timing and engine covers..Takes about 3-5 hours alone to get the front of the motor apart and cleaned up nice..I would add about $500-1000 to your estimate for engine assembly.
Old 06-19-2006 | 03:54 PM
PumpedVA

plus there are just things you should do/add while the motor is apart, No need for some but why take the chance? Would allways suck to pay for the motor to be pulled twice
Old 06-19-2006 | 04:59 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
If he is reffering to a short block, meaning no heads, then the motor needs to be dissasembled and reasembled.This is what is the most time consuming on a VQ motor.Look how much darn silicone they put on the front timing and engine covers..Takes about 3-5 hours alone to get the front of the motor apart and cleaned up nice..I would add about $500-1000 to your estimate for engine assembly.

So I am guessing that the best idea is to 100% finish my house down to the last piece of china and silverware, and then wait until I can do the longblock, turbo and the whole bunch of stuff at once. Hopefully by then the full 5AT build-up kit wil be out.
In the mean time I will play with little bolt-ons.
I think that this would be the smartest way. Some would say that you can sleep in a car, but not drive a house, but I don't subscribe to that opinion...

Anyway, once again, off-topic, but does anyone know of a way one can finance the mods?

Last edited by Oleg; 06-19-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2006 | 06:01 PM
Peking

Or that could be the price Sharif would charge
Old 06-20-2006 | 06:54 PM
JETPILOT

Hi Guys,

The motor blew on my way to Miami for a flight. Really bad timing for that to happen. I am in Costa Rica now, and returning tomorrow. I am borowing this computer quickly to respond so no one thinks I'm ignoring them. I'll post tomorrow and answer all the questions. 350zdcalb. I will give you a call, as well as you Shariff. I think it was just time for the connecting rod to go. Nothing to do with the tune. Shariff.... you still available for tuning?

Til Tomorrow.... Buenas Noches

Respect
JET
Old 06-21-2006 | 02:18 AM
BrokeZ

Every time i hear a blown motor story, I baby my car even more. Maybe I wont wait until its too late to build my motor and get the discount on the core exchange.
Old 06-21-2006 | 05:21 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Hi Guys,

The motor blew on my way to Miami for a flight. Really bad timing for that to happen. I am in Costa Rica now, and returning tomorrow. I am borowing this computer quickly to respond so no one thinks I'm ignoring them. I'll post tomorrow and answer all the questions. 350zdcalb. I will give you a call, as well as you Shariff. I think it was just time for the connecting rod to go. Nothing to do with the tune. Shariff.... you still available for tuning?

Til Tomorrow.... Buenas Noches

Respect
JET
We are in the new shop in Marietta, GA...not sure if you know..we've moved! I am ready when you are.

Buzz some treetops for me.
Old 06-21-2006 | 08:42 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Peking
Or that could be the price Sharif would charge
Could be, but if he has any sort of overhead such as rent/mortgage,Dyno payment,payroll ect and pays a mechanic and machinist to do the assembly then he is cutting himself very short. A good mechanic gets between $25-40 per hour around our neck of the woods.
Anaverage TT install in our area is running $2200-2500 all inclusive with the motor out of the car, to tear down the motor and reassemble would be a bit more on top of that..I dont think Sharif works for free and I think with his new location you will see his prices rise to be on par with the rest of the shops with major overhead.
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:37 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Could be, but if he has any sort of overhead such as rent/mortgage,Dyno payment,payroll ect and pays a mechanic and machinist to do the assembly then he is cutting himself very short. A good mechanic gets between $25-40 per hour around our neck of the woods.
Anaverage TT install in our area is running $2200-2500 all inclusive with the motor out of the car, to tear down the motor and reassemble would be a bit more on top of that..I dont think Sharif works for free and I think with his new location you will see his prices rise to be on par with the rest of the shops with major overhead.
I appreciate your concern for my business, Julian...everything is well under control.

We too, charge between $2500-$2700 for TT installs.

This customer was asking what a typical shortblock and installation would cost. Assuming the shortblock is $3500, installation and transfer of accesories puts us at roughly $6500. $2500-$3000 of labor is JUST for the engine removal/replacement/teardown/reassembly. That works out to just under 29hours of labor at our shop rate of $88/hour. Very fair in my book. If you ask around, GRD, and others are right in this ballpark.

Once a turbo kit is installed, it does not cost another 25 hours to put it back in, since you are just removing portions of the kit.

In regards to pricing, we have always been very fair, and do not engage in price wars. We charge fair market prices for our products..always have..and always will. Our customers appreciate the super-high level of customer service, and expertise we provide.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 06-21-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:02 PM
GMZ

Why is this stuff sounding more and more affordable to me all the time?
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:05 PM
roncfpz

I appreciate your concern for my business, Julian...everything is well under control.

This customer was asking what a typical shortblock and installation would cost. Assuming the shortblock is $3500, installation and transfer of accesories puts us at roughly $6500. $2500-$3000 of labor is JUST for the engine removal/replacement/teardown/reassembly. That works out to just under 29hours of labor at our shop rate of $88/hour. Very fair in my book. If you ask around, GRD, and others are right in this ballpark.

Once a turbo kit is installed, it does not cost another 25 hours to put it back in, since you are just removing portions of the kit.

In regards to pricing, we have always been very fair, and do not engage in price wars. We charge fair market prices for our products..always have..and always will. Our customers appreciate the super-high level of customer service, and expertise we provide.
.......and by far the most professional on this forum.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:11 PM
Oleg

Just an innocent joke, but doesn't the contrast between the 2 shop owners' avatars look a bit funny? Especially when they are right on top of each other?

One has the company's logo, from the other one there is a gun muzzle pointed right at you...

-"...welcome to Forged Performance..."
-"...PAY UP, SUCKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:18 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by GMZ
Wishful thinking taking over as the initial sticker shock wears off....
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:37 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by GMZ

$60K total expenditure for a supercar-destroying-power is a bargain, IMHO. $29K for a basic 350Z, and the rest in mods, puts the 350Z in a class to destroy 98% of the supercars on the road...all of which run well into the 6 figures. To me, thats a bargain. Coupled with the fact, that a highly modified 350Z gets more looks, and jaw drops then a Porsche 911 Turbo....makes this one of the most excited high performance platforms around.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:42 PM
BrianLG35C

$60K total expenditure for a supercar-destroying-power is a bargain, IMHO. $29K for a basic 350Z, and the rest in mods, puts the 350Z in a class to destroy 98% of the supercars on the road...all of which run well into the 6 figures. To me, thats a bargain. Coupled with the fact, that a highly modified 350Z gets more looks, and jaw drops then a Porsche 911 Turbo....makes this one of the most excited high performance platforms around.
Hey, don't forget the G!
Old 06-22-2006 | 01:51 PM
majik16106

hey.. just called shariff.. didnt realize they had moved into my backyard. good.. now i have a place to run too when im ready for boost so i dont blow up my motor.. or atleast.. not blow it up right away.
Old 06-22-2006 | 02:01 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

well said.. king of linguistics
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:32 AM
Peking

Exactly why we love ya so much
Old 06-26-2006 | 10:08 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

From these costs I wonder if it makes sense for people that have not blown their motor to do a built longblock instead of a shortblock. Since a lot of the accessories don't have to be moved I would think you could save a lot on the install/swap making the additional cost of the motor a wash?

Quick Reply: Put A Connecting Rod Through My BLock