Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

2nd DEAD UTEC

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 03:48 PM
BobaFettm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd DEAD UTEC

1st issue... tuner goes to tune the car... after just doing a lot of work... car starts and runs fine... move it around to a different spot at the shop and then turn the car off. Try to start it again and the car wont rev past idle... UTEC is dead and they pull it out put it in a different Z and it starts fine in that one. Replace the UTEC with a new one in mine and it works... the shop leaves the utec unbolted in the car and wait to put the dash in... Car runs fine for a week and a half like this...

2nd Issue... I take it to the shop to put the UTEC back up cause the car is running great. NEVER unplugged the UTEC or anything just push it back into the car and guess what? That UTEC then does the same thing... Nothing with the throttle pushed down...

Now this happened to D350z car there too but they upgraded the firmware and it started up okay... Right now I have the updated software and it wont allow the UTEC to be updated again... just erroring on the PC and cancelling the install.

So anything dead UTEC... The shop called up TurboXS and they say there is this issue with the Z's UTEC's and its being worked on and its been happening a few times... anyone else have had this trouble? It seems like XS knows it is and is not really telling people about it though unless they have the issue...

Either way the car is fudged till a new management system... the shop says they can get me AEM Engine Management and I said overnight it if they can... But I look online and I cant find any availible... is it really out yet? Or am I gonna get fudged and have to go to the Greddy E-manage Ultimate????
Old 06-17-2006, 04:00 PM
BobaFettm

Just talked to TF and Jeff over there definately has me the AEM management on its way for install
Old 06-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Yancy

Since the UTEC is a very widely used system among us built 350z guys, I'd like to know how many other people with the UTEC are having issues? I have this too and when my car gets up and running, this is not an issue I want to face.

I'd like to see everyone else that is using the UTEC chime in here to let us know if they are having any issues with their UTECs and if they did have an issues, how was it resolved?
Old 06-17-2006, 04:35 PM
BobaFettm

I used the search button... and I found a few posts about this issue... so it seems like its something that can happen...

****ing sucks doesnt it Yancy... I dont wanna dish out anything else but kinda have to now... at least we can count on AEM... they really do the best of the best!
Old 06-17-2006, 05:13 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

No issues with my UTEC. Did you talk to Jermaine? I'd give him a call.
But since it was working for a week and then failed after you bolted it in, it almost sounds like something got shorted.

GL with the AEM and please post up how it works out. I've yet to hear from anyone having installed it on the Z yet.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:30 PM
BobaFettm

XS actually told TF that this issue has been happening... so it sounds pretty common
Old 06-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Z PHAT Z

I know another person on this board that had the same problem with 2 brand new Utec. He upgraded the firmware and it works fine. As for myself and another guy in my town, we went thru 3 Utec. Our problem is different though. Our tuner said that it would pull variable from different places randomly. I do not know if its the Utec fault or my tuner fault. He is experience with the Utec in the Subaru car though.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:17 PM
wtf no turbo

AEM ecu is available for the z now?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:11 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have actually heard of a few shorted out UTEC's now. There's a local guy near me who's had his short circuit too
Old 06-17-2006, 10:22 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

No problems like that here, UTEC since end of Dec 2005.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by gringott
No problems like that here, UTEC since end of Dec 2005.
+1 I've had mine since Dec 2005 as well install and tuned by AAM.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:00 AM
BobaFettm

from what I heard the AEM is possible to buy right now... I have one on the way for the Z

it seems the UTEC will work GREAT for some... but there are troubled UTEC's that just will come broken or will randomly die. Its sad cuz I liked the UTEC for its price but they will need to work out the bugs more for the Z
Old 06-18-2006, 05:06 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by sentry65
There's a local guy near me who's had his short circuit too

"Disassemble Dead...Johnny 5 is alive!"

Sorry, couldn't resist...I have a UTEC still sitting in the box, haven't hooked it up yet
Old 06-18-2006, 05:20 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i know someone who got two bad utecs, he actually just had to flash the TPS flash into the utec and it worked fine after that.

i didnt even know there was a seperate flash for the TPS cause they dont usually include it with the software.

his car would kinda start but the gas wouldnt do anything and it idled really really bad.

i would have jermaine email you that flash and see if that helps your problem, my friend actually got a utec, installed it, didnt work right, mailed it back, got the new one, then it did the same thing.. so he tried it in another Z and it did the same thing. we were like WTF, what are the odds of TWO bad utecs doing the exact same thing

i have had a utec NA and N20 for a while now with no problems, i have a fully built sleeved motor sitting here about to go in, hope i dont run into any new problems...
Old 06-18-2006, 09:48 AM
BobaFettm

wow... then this UTEC thing isnt just a small problem anymore... it seems pretty common with this many people saying lots of dead utec's.... I'm glad im switching to AEM then even if it costs more...

I just dont want my UTEC dieing on me when im in the middle of Detroit street racing in the hood... Yancy can vouch for me that the Detroit street races are not the place you want your UTEC to die at
Old 06-18-2006, 10:06 AM
AZ350Z

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
Just talked to TF and Jeff over there definately has me the AEM management on its way for install
Where can we get more info on this? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:39 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

wow... then this UTEC thing isnt just a small problem anymore... it seems pretty common with this many people saying lots of dead utec's.... I'm glad im switching to AEM then even if it costs more...

I just dont want my UTEC dieing on me when im in the middle of Detroit street racing in the hood... Yancy can vouch for me that the Detroit street races are not the place you want your UTEC to die at
I think its more like they work or they don't. I have not heard of anyone having it just quit on them like that. Let's not start spreading misinformation about it.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:20 PM
aalzuhair

Some AEM units also are faulty from the box
Old 06-18-2006, 02:51 PM
BobaFettm

mine worked... I drove it to the shop and it was running great... then went to turn it back on and it didnt...

Mine WORKED when they drove it to the dyno a few weeks back... then they moved it for a second while working on it... and it stopped...

D350Z's WORKED till they took it off the lift and it stopped... then they reflashed and it works again...

I'm not spreading ****... im tell people the truth about a product I paid GOOD money for...
Old 06-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested to see how the AEM works.

Quick Reply: 2nd DEAD UTEC