Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

exhaust for 500hp+ folks

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Nismo350ZRT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How could the HKS be too small? It has 60mm (2.36") piping which is only .14" smaller than the APS 2.5" dual exhaust. Unless somebody proves otherwise, I would assume the HKS can flow between 500-550whp.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Single or twin turbo?

JET
I don't think you can produce that much power with a single
TT.. then again.. I've heard somebody running around 500whp with a supercharger.

Originally Posted by Nismo350ZRT
How could the HKS be too small? It has 60mm (2.36") piping which is only .14" smaller than the APS 2.5" dual exhaust. Unless somebody proves otherwise, I would assume the HKS can flow between 500-550whp.
that'll be cool and da gang.. I need to cut corners and salvage as much parts as I can. but I may go all the way to mid 600.. I'm ready to eat top ramen for rest of my life.

Last edited by Cannysage; 10-25-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:51 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Cannysage
Yes you can. It's been done on custom setups already, just not with many of the present "kits" as the turbos are designed for quick spool up and sub 500whp numbers. You can make as much power as needed on a single turbo, the only difference is that the turbo sizing is much more critical than a TT setup.

I think this stigma is going to be changing very soon, however.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran

I think this stigma is going to be changing very soon, however.
With the twin turbo offerings we have, I doubt that very much. Can 500+ be done on a single? Definitely. That said, I doubt very much we will see more than a handful of legitimate 500+ singles
Old 10-25-2006, 10:59 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Zivman
With the twin turbo offerings we have, I doubt that very much. Can 500+ be done on a single? Definitely. That said, I doubt very much we will see more than a handful of legitimate 500+ singles
What does that have anything? (consider that a rhetorical question) I know of no less than 5 people on these forums that are going to be doing a high hp ST build as soon as the option becomes available.

Anyway, I don't want to argue here. Im just saying that there will be more opitons in the near future.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:44 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I vote for APS, cuz its the meanest exhaust Cant wait to see the powerband on these high hp singles...
Old 10-26-2006, 04:57 AM
baptist

APS 3" has my vote, lovely build quality, and noise to boot.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:38 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by thawk408
Do you think the borla true dual would be any good at 500? thats what i have now and was thinking about just seeing how it does when i build the motor.

maybe.. injen SES manages to get up to 450 on a APS twin..... so with cams youll get to 500s

You won't be running singles to 500+. 500 will most likely be the limit most will attempt on singles
that is BS, supras can easily(but not cheaply) get over 600whp with their turbos and runnign single exhausts....

the current limitation of 500 whp on teh Z is not related to the exhaust but in the turbo kits(piping, wastegate etc) set up i'm sure.that will change with stage2 on the tn kit for example.....some other custom single turbos out there have ran in the 550 range already on the z

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-26-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:22 AM
DSport G35

TT.. then again.. I've heard somebody running around 500whp with a supercharger.
Thats me...508hp on a Vortech T-Trim. I'm running a custom true dual 3in. with Apexi 3in N-1 Turbo Mufflers and two Magnaflow Resonators, no cats.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII

that is BS, supras can easily(but not cheaply) get over 600whp with their turbos and runnign single exhausts....

the current limitation of 500 whp on teh Z is not related to the exhaust but in the turbo kits(piping, wastegate etc) set up i'm sure.that will change with stage2 on the tn kit for example.....some other custom single turbos out there have ran in the 550 range already on the z
Ummmm.........OK????

Compare the V6 in the Z to the inline 6 of the supra and tell me our singles are comparble??????

I said it can be done, but the vast majority will be using twin setups on the Z to run bigger power (500+)
Old 10-26-2006, 08:48 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Ummmm.........OK????

Compare the V6 in the Z to the inline 6 of the supra and tell me our singles are comparble??????

I said it can be done, but the vast majority will be using twin setups on the Z to run bigger power (500+)
your comment was related to the single exhaust... which is what this thread is all about... there are way way lots of thread about the turbos and all, and basically current single kits are not designed to be pushed for over 500whp so thats the end of argument...most going for more do twins cause that is what is currently prooven for that power, TN stage 2 will be desined for high whp on a single so it will start to be a lil more comom to see singles over 500s way more often now... you know this already
Old 10-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Zivman

your comment was related to the single exhaust... which is what this thread is all about..
Well...........after rereading everything I read correctly the first time, I am pretty confident that we were all talking about about dual exhausts and twin turbos in relation to the OP question.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Oleg

maybe.. injen SES manages to get up to 450 on a APS twin..... so with cams youll get to 500s

Risking to face the wrath of taurran, I will still be a troll and try to give a bit of my own input on this.
Supra is a horrible example in here. Ideal exhaust is a straight through with minimal bends (for turbos at least, they seem to like zero backpressure). Our cars have vees (no ****). So far most of 500+whp VQ's were running TT setups (don't know how will it be in future, so TN camp, stuff it). So, dual banks, dual turbos, dual exhausts.
Supras are completey different. Single bank, single turbo, single pipe. Ideal 500whp ST Z exhaust would be a sinlgle huge pipe as well.
The thing that I want to point out to quicksilver, is that the modifications are not purely function driven.
The "traditional" Supra rear end incorporates a huge titanium tipped canister cocked to the side, while Z/G's are "expected" to have dual tips.Another good example, the TD system for the 2004 GTO includes 2 pipes that exit at same point next to each other, so it may look like a signle. The ## of exhaust tips does not mean anything about what's underneath the car.
At least I think so...
Old 10-26-2006, 10:27 AM
SaadSindhu

APS 3" sounds great man! and it will support your power too..its really nice and rasby, sounds great when u get on it. Especially if half way through your rpm range you here your tubros spool and kick in..On a built motor..insane..
Old 10-26-2006, 11:48 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Oleg
Risking to face the wrath of taurran, .......

Old 10-26-2006, 02:41 PM
taurran

Ummmm.........OK????

Your original statement had a little different meaning behind it than this. I can agree with you here.

But, whether its a I or V motor doesn't mean that a single large turbo can't be effective in both cases. As Quicksilver said, its not the turbo configuration that's the limiting factor here, its the components of the kits that are currently on the market.

Not bothering responding to Oleg here, he basically took a paragraph to explain what you put in one sentence...
Old 10-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by taurran
Not bothering responding to Oleg here, he basically took a paragraph to explain what you put in one sentence...
The wrath of taurran is unavoidable.
If you read the full "paragraph", you'd see that what I was driving at, is that when it comes to exhausts, the form is NOT set by function, at least not purely.
P.S. You ARE bothering to respond. It's rather amusing, you seem to be so bothered by my posts, yet you can't put me on your ignore list. But I understand, I love you too, my cantankerous darling...

Last edited by Oleg; 10-26-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:10 PM
IIQuickSilverII

blah blah blah blah

jic can, hks can, greddy can... fighting...

comment on this can

Old 10-28-2006, 05:53 AM
silver nismo

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
the greddy evo tt is a little less expensive solution to any exhaust problems as well. 2.75 inch true duals, plus there are plenty of nice $$ 3 inch exhausts out there...
Thats for when he said 500 whp + but how much plus 275" is for sure a good choice for 500 whp + meaning 510" and u will b squeesing it realy hard....
3" now thats what u call a well done job, cause his intentions is 600 whp as he mentioned later on and its not poss. without 3"....
Old 10-28-2006, 05:56 AM
silver nismo

so I can keep my hks with a, let's say, a 600whp+ setup?
man thats for sure a big NOOOOO u wont b able to boost any way to reach that # with 2.75"..... 3" once and for all...

Quick Reply: exhaust for 500hp+ folks