Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

BamBam "brents" car let go again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
I believe it was built by AAM, overheated repeatedly, then Sharif did the rebuild, retune with the Fcon...Overheated and lost compression a week later..My money is on a sunken sleeve..Which is more likely than the headstud scenario..
Julian, when have no idea what happened, you should not post speculation, IMHO.

Since Brent has already posted on it....here is the cliff notes version of it, and Brent can chime in if he wishes.

Engine was built and tuned at AAM and arrived at our shop overheating and shooting coolant everywhere.

We tore it down and discovered the blown head gasket, and discovered crooked stud with 1/16th inch runout. Brent had a ralley to attend, and he made the decision to do an in-house fix of the gasket. Normally, in this situation, we'd recommend sending the block out, and having the whole thing replaced, and new studs installed. At the time, that was not an option since Brent had to get back on the road quickly. We did everything possible to get his car running within 2 days, but all along, we both knew there were risks involved with this approach.

Tuning went really well, and the car made strong power, but still less than I expected. I kept Brent informed all the way through this process.

Sooooooo we thought we were out of the woods. 666whp on my dyno 742whp on the dynojet, and no overheating or anything else.

We let the car sit for a week or so, then fired it up. Immediately, I could tell it was missing a cylinder, and then it overheated while idling. Compression check uncovered very low compression in cylinder #1. This was the cylinder with the crooked STUD!! Our fix held for dyno tuning, but the cool down properly shifted something slightly around the stud, and that was that.

Julian, Darton sleeves cannot physically sink. If you look at how they are designed, machined, and installed they are completly different from AEBS sleeves. Sinking is not possible, unless your entire block cracks. I am too tired to explain why.

Goodnight.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

who did the sleeves??
Old 11-08-2006, 06:16 PM
wtf no turbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edited post I wont comment....anyway brent all the best man in whatever you decide. Just one question though in that last post he said you guys replace the heads with gt motorsports.

Last edited by wtf no turbo; 11-08-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:28 PM
wtf no turbo

Originally Posted by Alberto
I know the scoop but wont post Brents info as Im not sure if he wants to publically annouce it yet. I feel so sorry for him, he didnt even get to feel the nastiness of what 666whp would provide him I wish somebody at AAM would have noticed the improperly installed 1/2" head studs (as they claim they didnt machine it-but they did build it!) and had it redone correctly instead of putting it together and setting the motor up for later destruction, unfortunately Sharif/Forged did what they could but the damage was done already. I do know this, Brent posted in the Mid-A forums he was thinking about selling, that would be a huge shame considering the time, $$$$, effort he's put into that car. Im sure he'll chime in soon enough.....

wtf no turbo-this has nothing to do with the power level (over 500whp) it has to do with quality control of a machine shop and the shop in question. Brent's motor was more than capable of handling these power levels if everything had been done correctly from the start, he doesnt skimp on things.
Didnt say he skimped on anything but i would not have tuned a car ***** out 650hp with a crooked headstud.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:32 PM
bbs350z

damn it seems like w/ all the 600+ hp z's, they seem 2 hav a ****oad of problems, then again, when u upgrade, u sacrifice reliability.

they only have 2 gears, fast as ****, or broke.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by wtf no turbo
Didnt say he skimped on anything but i would not have tuned a car ***** out 650hp with a crooked headstud.
Just a hunch, but I don't think he was aware of the head stud issue at the time.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
damn it seems like w/ all the 600+ hp z's, they seem 2 hav a ****oad of problems, then again, when u upgrade, u sacrifice reliability.

Welcome to the world of highly modified cars.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:40 PM
z33GReddytt

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z

My Z has close to 600hp. Dynod 541whp on Sharif's Dyno Dynamics. Not had one single problem out of it yet except the small battery went dead once, because it sat for too long in a cold garage .Got it recharged and its been fine since. i dont drive my Z every day but I have fun with it any time I can. Ive gotten over 2000 miles on it since the build and it runs just as smooth as day one. So for almost two months the Z has been good to me. And sorry to hear about your car Bam Bam. I remember when I picked mine up they were talking about how hard they were working with it.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:44 PM
roncfpz

I spoke with Brent on Monday and he is really bummed out about this but realizes it was a gamble. It just seems like the whole engine build was a cluster f##k and was poorly supervised/managed by AAM.

Last edited by roncfpz; 11-08-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wtf no turbo
Brent knew that it was a coin toss on whether or not it would hold up. I personally agree with you but I can most definetely see Brents side of things-having just spent an a$$ load of $$$, and time, he had an issue, then he took it to Sharif and he wanted the car back for his rally. We dont always think things through when it comes to our cars/money pits but everything is 20/20 in hindsight.

I wouldnt put blame on Brent or Forged for this they simply made the best of what they were given. Im sure if the stud/head had been reworked the car would run strong for a long time with Sharif's nasty tune -well the motor at least, then you gotta worry about other things. My motor like the guy above also did 541whp on Sharif's dyno (580whp on Dynojet), and Ive had zero issues with it, my tranny on the other hand that was my bad-----> you pay to play....
Old 11-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Julian, when have no idea what happened, you should not post speculation, IMHO.
Honestly, I really dont give a rats A s s about your opinion at all..I actually think youve been a bit cocky lately and are extremely overrated...I think perhaps you need to be humbled a bit...

I am too tired to explain why.

Goodnight.
Late night at the Blue Oyster??
Old 11-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Audible, we checked the head and block in about 50 different spots, and it was perfectly flat....less than .001 with spec being .004. The block and head were straight after we took it apart. I am not sure where the sleeves where installed, but there was no sinking or issue with the sleeve.

The issue was the crooked stud. And let me tell you....it was a biatch to get the head off his block when we tore it down, due to the run out on the stud.

In regards to reliabilty, we have done a half dozen builds at about the 600whp DJ range....and many more more mainstream power levels. All running very strong after thousands of miles. The only reason this engine failed, was the stud, IMPO.

Alberto summed it up nicely. Hindsight is 20/20. The most disspointing thing about this whole episode, is that we thought we were 100% out of the woods.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Honestly, I really dont give a rats A s s about your opinion at all..I actually think youve been a bit cocky lately and are extremely overrated...I think perhaps you need to be humbled a bit...

I am sorry you feel that way Julian.

I am humbled every single day....I am here at least 14hr/day. I work with some of the best technicians in the business, terrific suppliers, and GREAT customers. Working on the 350Z is a total passion of mine, and it kicks us in the butt from time to time. You cant get complacent in this business. Nobody is perfect.

And what is the Blue Oyster?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:21 PM
roncfpz

^ Sounds like jealousy to me, aside from being completely unprofessional.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:23 PM
bbs350z

wooohsaahhhh!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I am sorry you feel that way Julian.

I am humbled every single day....I am here at least 14hr/day. I work with some of the best technicians in the business, terrific suppliers, and GREAT customers. Working on the 350Z is a total passion of mine, and it kicks us in the butt from time to time. You cant get complacent in this business. Nobody is perfect.

And what is the Blue Oyster?
I work 2 jobs and average about 4 hours sleep a night and have 6 month old, I feel the same way...I am simply upset that this was your 2nd condensending post in my direction in less than a week, when all I was doing was giving my professional opinion of a possible cause..I was unaware that the head stud was not 100% fixed the 2nd time around and given the symptoms, and the headstud taken out of the equasion, a sinking sleeve could be a culprit..would you not say so?
Also I was unaware of the type of sleeves he used, but anytime you sleeve a block you do loose integrity of the block itself..And it does prone the block to flex and possibly warp...Performance Motorsports was actually experiencing this on their street tire car, in the motormount area, until they resolved the cause, which will rear its ugly head at the 800whp mark
I too share a passion for the 350Z and I hate to see anyone have this happen to them, especially twice..But like you said, sometimes these things happen... Perhaps in the future you could be a bit less hostile towards me, since I do detect a slight bit of hostility towards me in the past few weeks, and I myself am growing agitated at it.. We all have our off days, but please do not disrespect me again on the boards, when I am just giving some insight..
I honestly hope Everthing works out for BAM BAM, as he has been through a tough time with this car...And I would like to see him stick with it and not give up on the build, Im sure the stud can be fixed..
Old 11-08-2006, 07:27 PM
tig488

theres no reason to be a rude! sharif was respectful and in no way offensive in his post.

theres a good reason hes cocky, hes the best at what he does.

Last edited by tig488; 11-08-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by roncfpz
^ Sounds like jealousy to me, aside from being completely unprofessional.
LOL, Im not jealous nor unprofessional....As per you signature I can see who's nuts your swinging on, so please dont start something between me and Sharif, let us handle it on our own..
Old 11-08-2006, 07:38 PM
roncfpz

LOL, Im not jealous nor unprofessional....As per you signature I can see who's nuts your swinging on, so please dont start something between me and Sharif, let us handle it on our own..
Dude, don't give me your internet bravado bullsh$t. I don't swing from anyones nuts, but it looks like you do from that avatar of yours. And after what you posted to him you've got the nerve to say I'm starting something. If you were professional you would have just PMed him your professional response.

Last edited by roncfpz; 11-08-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:41 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

would everyone quit being ****...making a 245rwhp car into a 800rwhp beast isnt easy and will have its trouble, i have learned this from building my old intgera 6 times, it sucks that this happend to bam bam, but the 350z was never meant to put out this kind of power, and unlike a honda, these parts cost a grip load of money. I have a bunch of friends in the 600+ club and they all went through a few engines (built), this car is still uncharted territory, 500 IMO is safe and can be driven all day, wanna go past that...well get ready for issues. MRC and Sharif do great work, but were trying to make 3-4 times the normal stock HP, shlt happends...and im not trying to be rude, but your going full race, and full hardcore...problems arrive.

Quick Reply: BamBam "brents" car let go again?