Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

VQ35 to Chevy Tranny adapter....thought somebody might like this

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:20 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If ur hell bent on an Auto --and have a Monster----I repeat ----- The Cast Iron PowerGlide would be the way to go----They can be built to handle 1000 HP + and have 2 speeds, Off the line and infinity. Plus smaller and lighter
Old 11-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zexy
Alberto, why don't you consider somebody custom making an adapter plate and all the fabrication for a Supra Getrag gearbox onto the Z?

If you want to stay manual and drag race with big power, that's the only RWD gearbox i would definately choose over anything. My Z tranny already went to **** and i'm still NA(Already been replaced)
This is one of the many options Im researching as we speak. Im waiting to hear back from a company who already makes dogboxes/gearsets for the Z-and it isnt GTM. <----dont ask for info cuz I wont tell...yet
Old 11-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Nealoc187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who all has broken the MRA70 manual transmission in the Z33? I can only recall three posts on here about it. Alberto, one of those PR guys, and I think G352nv? Are there significantly more that I don't know about?

Obviously the MRA70 is not the strongest manual transmission out there, but it's not THAT weak. A few guys out of the tons of guys that are running these cars in the 550-650hp range? I don't know anything about G352NVs driving habits, nor do I recall if it was ever actually determined what the mode of failure was. I do know something about Alberto's driving habits, and let's be frank, he is probably the most abusive manual transmission driver I've ever seen. He was NO LIFT SHIFTING a 550whp car, and had previously no lift shifted that same transmission hundreds of times... what the hell do people think is going to happen when you put that type of abuse through a transmission with a rated torque capacity of 310ft-lb? Same goes with the PR guys, I'm sure they are probably just as abusive as alberto was. If alberto had not been powershifting that transmission since the day it was installed, and especially doing so at 550tq or whatever his car made - I am willing to bet that transmission would still be just fine. There are lots of guys on this board and probably more who AREN'T on this board making just as much or more power still running the stock transmission without breaking them -. 550ish tq is not the "breaking point" of the transmission - it is the breaking point of the transmission when subjected to inordinate and ridiculous amounts of abuse.

Alberto - in your research on the fs5r30a in the Z32, have you happened to come across anything indicating who manufactured that transmission. I spent an hour or two one evening trying to find a manufacturer for it, and I wasn't able to. I have a hunch that it is the R30A listed on Aichi Machine Industry's website. They typically shorten the transmission code used by nissan - they did this for the sentra, stanza, the maxima (both 5 and 6spds), even for the celica GT-S and Tiburon 6spd. If the R30A listed on Aichi's website is indeed the FS5R30A used in the Z32, it is actually rated at slightly less torque than the MRA70 which is in the Z33. Maybe it's not the same transmission though.

Last edited by Nealoc187; 11-22-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I didnt mean to imply that my tranny exploding wasnt my fault, it certainly is, but I can guarantee you even lifting it wont last long. BTW it only took 1 run/2 shifts (the 2nd powershift ever on this set-up) for the tranny to give up. I know I could lift and maybe not have issues, but then I wouldnt be running the times Im running now given the relatively avg 60ft's I pull. In all honesty, I havent researched the Z32 5-speed Im looing into other stuff....Im open to any suggestions, if you find anything you may find worthwhile by all means share
Old 11-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Alberto
I didnt mean to imply that my tranny exploding wasnt my fault, it certainly is, but I can guarantee you even lifting it wont last long. BTW it only took 1 run/2 shifts (the 2nd powershift ever on this set-up) for the tranny to give up. I know I could lift and maybe not have issues, but then I wouldnt be running the times Im running now given the relatively avg 60ft's I pull. In all honesty, I havent researched the Z32 5-speed Im looing into other stuff....Im open to any suggestions, if you find anything you may find worthwhile by all means share
Did you notice prior to it exploding that it was a bit hard to get into gear?Cause we found that my synchros on one tranny went from the clutch engagement being set to low.A simple adjustment of the clutch pedal did wonders for the shifting.It seems as if the clutch was dragging and not fully disengaging the gears prior.
Either way, Performance Motorsports ran 10.30s on the 6mt but would blow one up almost every other run.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:07 PM
G352NV

My point is look at all the trans problems with the 350 and G35. Why is it so hard for Nissan to get it right? All you have to do is do a search on this or any G or Z site and you'll see a TON of tranny's reaplaced.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:14 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I wonder what tranny they will use in the skyline
Old 11-22-2006, 01:41 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by G352NV
My point is look at all the trans problems with the 350 and G35. Why is it so hard for Nissan to get it right? All you have to do is do a search on this or any G or Z site and you'll see a TON of tranny's reaplaced.
Because renault probly made them out source the entire design, who knows if Aichi Machine Industry just builds them or did everything.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Did you notice prior to it exploding that it was a bit hard to get into gear?Cause we found that my synchros on one tranny went from the clutch engagement being set to low.A simple adjustment of the clutch pedal did wonders for the shifting.It seems as if the clutch was dragging and not fully disengaging the gears prior.
Either way, Performance Motorsports ran 10.30s on the 6mt but would blow one up almost every other run.
All the gears were smooth except 5th, which even with a semi-spirited shift would be very notchy. It then developed into a grind 1/2 the time, even if I pushed the clutch to the ground and shifted after it would grind. I've always had 5th gear notchiness issues. How is your tranny holding up Julian? And do you know the version you have? The one coming out of my car was the 004.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:22 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

All the gears were smooth except 5th, which even with a semi-spirited shift would be very notchy. It then developed into a grind 1/2 the time, even if I pushed the clutch to the ground and shifted after it would grind. I've always had 5th gear notchiness issues. How is your tranny holding up Julian? And do you know the version you have? The one coming out of my car was the 004.

thats what my 008 tranny was doing... only 5th gear... now my 009 is doing it now.. i just shift slower and it shifts smoothly.. hopefully i can preserve it till next year.. I am really wondering if its me .. because everyone usually blows 3rd gear.. and i keep blowing 5th.. i am wondering if i just fck up everytime i shift to 5th or something
Old 11-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I had 2 trannies in my car, and the thrid was out of Jasons car that he wrecked, it was his 3rd tranny and was done in early 2004. It also grinds in 5th a bit. Try adjusting the clutch pedal, so that it engages higher.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by doug
I wonder what tranny they will use in the skyline
I don't think that it would help us much, being AWD...
Old 11-22-2006, 08:06 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
well, it is a three speed and shifts way way faster than anyone can shift using a clutch, its instant.

the main reason is that you can sit and build boost very easily off the line. my friend here with a 2JZ in his 72 Z can build 15 psi just sitting there. he pulls high 1.3s with hit setup on his street car. plus the stock trannys are breaking when you hit high 500s

i plan on going way way past 500 so i just want something that will work, i love shifting just as much as alberto and all you guys. believe me, i used to make fun of auto sports cars.... BUT there is a point where the autos take back over and help you to run faster.

if they made a tranny that was bulletproof and still a 6 speed that didnt cost a million dollars, i would gladly do that, but my options are limited here..
+1 i do like manuals in sports cars, but once you pass a certain hp number, the autos will easily surpass manuals in terms of performance for street drivability and acceleration. once you get into superlight flywheels and harsh disks, your street driving comfort goes out the door. auto's take one more variable out of the equation to go fast.
i have done all sorts of racing from 1/4, road course, and autoX. manuals will work best in road course and autoX to help be smoother by rev matching abilities. but 1/4, an auto will always win in a high hp car.
i have built both high hp manual and auto cars, and i gotta say, i like the autos better. but, that is with high hp, lower hp (>500hp) is funner with the manual and still comfortable to go on long trips.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:09 PM
overZealous1

when my trans was replaced, i had a tough time putting it into 5th. i swapped the trans fluid for redline, and it instantly cleared it up. it is obviously an inherant design flaw with the forks.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah man, i feel ya, i made my last passes on my stock tranny tonight, i posted my results in the drag section,

i hate clutches!!! but my stock axles will pull 1.5s and my tranny is just fine.... hehehe
Old 11-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Nealoc187

Originally Posted by doug
thats what my 008 tranny was doing... only 5th gear... now my 009 is doing it now.. i just shift slower and it shifts smoothly.. hopefully i can preserve it till next year.. I am really wondering if its me .. because everyone usually blows 3rd gear.. and i keep blowing 5th.. i am wondering if i just fck up everytime i shift to 5th or something

The synchro problems you and most people have are totally unrelated to what I'm talking about. Breaking the teeth off off the gear and having problems with the synchros causing grinding, shift blocking, and rough shifts are not the same. Synchros have nothing to do with the torque capacity of the gear, which is what I was talking about when I mentioned people "blowing" gears up.

edit: this is what I mean when I'm talking about guys blowing up gears (see how there are no teeth left on the top gear heh).

Last edited by Nealoc187; 11-24-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Nealoc187

Originally Posted by overZealous1
when my trans was replaced, i had a tough time putting it into 5th. i swapped the trans fluid for redline, and it instantly cleared it up. it is obviously an inherant design flaw with the forks.

It has nothing to do with shift forks. All the shift fork does is slide the sleeve over the hub and mesh the teeth on the synchro which allows (or is supposed to allow) smooth engagement of the engagement teeth on the gear. It would be a problem with the sleeve, hub, synchronizer, or some combination thereof. The synchronizer is what they keep changing with each of their updates to the transmission, so it's a safe bet that it's a synchro problem. The fact that you changed fluid and the issue improved is further evidence that it has to do with the synchronizers.

Last edited by Nealoc187; 11-24-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:16 PM
G352NV

Does it matter if its a synchro problem or power problem? The Tranny is Junk! If the synchro's dont last then it doesnt matter how much power it can handle!
Old 11-24-2006, 04:03 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
It has nothing to do with shift forks. All the shift fork does is slide the sleeve over the hub and mesh the teeth on the synchro which allows (or is supposed to allow) smooth engagement of the engagement teeth on the gear. It would be a problem with the sleeve, hub, synchronizer, or some combination thereof. The synchronizer is what they keep changing with each of their updates to the transmission, so it's a safe bet that it's a synchro problem. The fact that you changed fluid and the issue improved is further evidence that it has to do with the synchronizers.
i understand what you are saying, but if the fork is not engageing them at the optimum angle, they will not engage smoothly. hence, the reason i suspect just changing to a better fluid fixed a slight misalignment prob.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Nealoc187

Originally Posted by G352NV
Does it matter if its a synchro problem or power problem? The Tranny is Junk! If the synchro's dont last then it doesnt matter how much power it can handle!

Except that some people have no synchro problems - so the powerhandling ability of the trans is the concern for them and they probably could care less about the synchro problems that some others are having.

Quick Reply: VQ35 to Chevy Tranny adapter....thought somebody might like this