Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Open Dumps or Recirculating?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:45 PM
BootieMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Dumps or Recirculating?

I would like to get people's opinion on open dumps (venting to atmosphere). I plan on getting open dumps, but have been told they are very loud. Now I know there are videos of members car's here with open dumps, but it's still hard to tell exactly how loud it really is unless one is there in person.

So my question is: To the people who have an open dump system. If you had a choice, would you keep your setup or get a recirculating system that's a bit quieter?

I personally love the hiss and blow sounds that an open dump system makes, but would also like to hear other people's feedback on theirs.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love mine. When I drive the car a few miles with minimal boosting (dumps not open yet) then I hit it into full boost its like hell on earth. I personally love the loudness, the raspiness, the rawness, the pops, the crackles. IMO for most they would likely get tired of it, but I enjoy having a loud car, and the beast sound of the OD. I also understand many think its ratty or dislike it, but its not their car Vids in my sig to give you an idea of what its like. Ask anybody on these forums that have been in my car its 10X louder in person, it resonates through your body....
Old 01-03-2007, 06:56 PM
BootieMAN

Originally Posted by Alberto
I love mine. When I drive the car a few miles with minimal boosting (dumps not open yet) then I hit it into full boost its like hell on earth. I personally love the loudness, the raspiness, the rawness, the pops, the crackles. IMO for most they would likely get tired of it, but I enjoy having a loud car, and the beast sound of the OD. I also understand many think its ratty or dislike it, but its not their car Vids in my sig to give you an idea of what its like. Ask anybody on these forums that have been in my car its 10X louder in person, it resonates through your body....
WOW! That's got to be loud then. They were loud in your vids. If I'm not mistaken, you have the Forged open dumps? Are they still prototypes? I'd love to get a set of those.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:55 PM
supra crazy

Well I have them on mine and they get a little annoying after awhile. There cool when you want to floor it racing, but just driving and your passing someone hitting boost it seems obnoxious and annoying. I saw go with recirulating or get dumps with a flange on them and the exhaust so you can disconnect them if you get annoyed after awhile.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:38 PM
sugarspunZ

Received 665 Likes on 524 Posts

performance wise is an open dump better or does it really matter?

i am really curious. i will going to an external wastegate on my aps st set up and am debating getting the aps external wastegate with internal dump or fabricating some sort of external dump set up.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:12 AM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the greddy kits we have seen gains up to 40rwhp with the external dumps, and no other changes. i love 'em. i run a manual boost controller too, so mine start creeping open as low as 10psi. it gives me a kind of signal to my boost level without having to look at my gauge, lol.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by BootieMAN
WOW! That's got to be loud then. They were loud in your vids. If I'm not mistaken, you have the Forged open dumps? Are they still prototypes? I'd love to get a set of those.
Mine are the only sets on a Z right now, but very shortly Sharif will be releasing 3" recirculating and open dump downpipes to the public. Quality is top notch and they quickly transition into 3" piping. The loudness is only explained by being in the car. +1 on what zealous said-if Im just 3/4 throttle accelerating and Im starting to build boost-when I hear them open I know Ive built over 10psi...in that case I did wish I could just hear the sweetness of the APS TD, but at WOT nothing beats the nastiness (in a good way) of the dumps IMO.

Last edited by Alberto; 01-04-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 AM
BlackTuner

I do know that Mark @ SGP Racing has the External Dump kits in stock for the Greddy Kit. You may want to give him a call. I have seen them they are top notch parts.

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com
Old 01-04-2007, 08:24 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love mine... but I understand that when I go blowing by people at WOT, they get a little pissed...
It was initially sold to me with the understanding they are somewhat safer then recalculating, and gave some additional HP, but I am not sure that was the truth. I think really it is personal preference and for people like Berto and me Open Dumps sounds awesome.. But I guess being a little quieter would be good to keep the cops attention down.. LOL
Old 01-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

Like Brent said. Dave and I toyed with the idea of trying to do an open dump for the tnetics, but after having enough tickets in the last year just for my exhaust I decided to keep it on the down low. Cops in my area SUCK!

Also, I have been in Berts and Brent's car's and they are crazy loud! I love it, but the video(s) don't do it justice.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:37 AM
roncfpz

I didn't think I would like open dumps as much as I do now. They definitely add a rawness to the car now. However, my car is not a daily driver and perhaps it would become annoying to some over time. They are very loud at WOT and not too bad otherwise.

I've seen Sharif's prototype and they are high quality pieces.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Dirty Dave

Is it just me or would'nt you have to worry about other tickets if your dumps open seeings that you would be in boost and most likely be speeding ??? I know whenever im in boost my car is going over the speed limit or very close. These open dumps are only loud when the wastegates start to open correct ?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:00 PM
sugarspunZ

does anyone have a video or a sound clip of these open dumps? i am curious to hear them.

there is an STI that drives by my house every night. about 10 seconds before he shifts there is a loud SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sound. he then shifts and you hear the BOV. is that loud SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH an open dump.
i have no idea what his mods are, but his car is smoken fast and far from stock.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by sugarspunZ
does anyone have a video or a sound clip of these open dumps? i am curious to hear them.
In my original reply above-read again...any of the 3 will do.

Originally Posted by Alberto
Vids in my sig to give you an idea of what its like
Old 01-04-2007, 12:11 PM
roncfpz

The best example is to click on Alberto's videos in his signature and turn up the volume to get a good idea. It's the best example I've heard yet online.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

The vids do not the open dumps justice. You have to drive it to experience it...it still scares me...to this day...LOL.

Performance wise, there will be no difference between our open dumps, and recirculating FP Downpipes. It's just personal preference, as others have mentioned. Like Alberto said, when you cruise around, the car is no louder than normal. But then nail the gas, and all hell break loose.

Our first batch will be recirculating, and if the demand is there, we can easily adapt them to open dumps.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:48 PM
TruBluZ

I love the open dumps on my car. I would not go back. And I agree with everyone when they say that you need to experience it in person to get the full effect.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:56 PM
sugarspunZ

would it be just as loud with a single turbo?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by sugarspunZ
would it be just as loud with a single turbo?
just as loud.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:28 PM
sugarspunZ

sorry for all the questions... but i want to try to get a feel for what it really sounds like in person. CA cops love loud cars and are a total pain in the ***. i dont know anyone in the area with an open dump wastegated Z.

so would it be comparable to an EVO or STI with an open dump wastegate? a buddy of mine has an EVO with an open dump wastegate and it sounds sick.

Quick Reply: Open Dumps or Recirculating?