Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Forced Induction and Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 04:04 PM
mmocam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced Induction and Reliability?

Hi all,

Been doing a lot of reading on the forum the past week or so and I see where a lot of folks are really excited about Forced Induction on the 350z and I also see where some folks have blown their motor.

I'm curious as to how many of you out there are running succesfully with FI currently and how many of you have attempted, but blown your motor.

If you would post if you are currently running FI I'd appreciate. it Please include how much boost your running and if your motor is "built" or not. I'd also be interested in how many miles you have on the boosted motor.

I'm just trying to gauge if its something the avg Joe like myself would consider. I don't yet have a 350z, but the wife and I are looking for a "fun" car to take out when we get a sitter etc. It'll be a third car so it doesn't have to be bullet proof, but I don't want a time bomb either. I just want a 100hp or so more over stock to make things fun.

Also to those that have blown a motor please post that as well and give some of the same details. ie what was the detonation pt.

If this has already been asked feel free to flame away and reply with a good thread.

Sorry for the long post and thanks if you made it this far,

Cam
Old 02-26-2007, 04:07 PM
350Z_LEE

this exact question was asked, and a thread was started. Searched and can't find it myself but I think the moral of the story is get a good tune and you will be ok.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:08 PM
streetracer

what was your question again. lost it after all that...
Old 02-26-2007, 04:09 PM
streetracer

oh, i remember; boost, right. Yeah, go for it! the VQ is the engine for the skyline stroked to 3700cc, in case you didn't know that.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

your first post was well written so I take it that you're some what intelligent, maybe even smart. unfortunately just because one is intelligent doesn't mean he or she cannot be ignorant, or lacking common sense. so before, you get totally flammed, i will give you a guiding hand.

USE THE FREAKING SEARCH BUTTON!!

thank you and goodnight.

Last edited by Nexx; 02-26-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:45 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

TUNE TUNE TUNE....people have pushed the stock block to 520rwhp on a great tune...u want more?? FORGED BOTTOM END....hey noobie...u know what that 1ST post means?? no posts for a month!!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:18 AM
THE TECH

Here kitty kitty...
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Devil Z

Wow people here are angry.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:13 AM
TENGAI

This is a harsh environment for vague questions. Search is your friend to an extent... 400whp has been done time and time again on stock blocks for thousands of miles. Anything less is "child's play" on this forum as we've seen 500whp+ on stock blocks. BUT - those limits have all reached a boil over point and have gone to the dark side (i.e. Blown Motor).

Recommend that you stick with a SC or ST setup and keep things at stock boost levels if you're looking for a "reliable" 100whp gain.

As always, just my
Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 AM
mmocam

I have searched quite a bit and I see where a list of folks running FI is stickied, but I haven't come across a list of those with blown motors. I think that list might actually be more interesting.

I guess the more you read it just all becomes convoluted as to who experienced what and how relevant one persons situation really is based on how well they tuned etc.

Anyways thanks for the replies on a somewhat generic question.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:55 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reading through everyone's F/I experience there's no such thing as 100% reliable. That being said, the majority of guys that have blown their stock VQ have done it severals ways:

1. Raised their REV limiter.
2. Raised their stock boost (not just a few psi)
3. Used a crappy EMS to control a/f, boost, etc.
4. Had a bad tune or no tune
5. Had just plain old bad luck.

1-4 are usually the norm, haven't heard scenario 5 but anything can happen.

When you say you want 100 hp over stock? Do you mean 100 hp at the wheels or 100 hp at the crank. Most guys in hear deal with rear wheel hp not brake hp.

Either way if you get your setup done right at stock boost you should be good to go. There's a member here that's had over 80k with his Greddy TT at stock boost with no major problems.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:12 AM
sam30540

Here is my suggestion... Go and buy a z. Drive it till you get used to it. Wait for another 8 weeks before you post a question, just follow the forums. This comes up all the time. Seriously when are the mods going to start the 1 month waiting period?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:15 AM
350Z_LEE

we were all noobs once.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:19 AM
mmocam

You guys beat anything I've seen from an elitist perspective. My advice... enjoy the 350z community while its thriving.

I mean I bet every other thread I've read on this forum is filled with the obligitory.. let me get my post count to a thousand so here is another "use the search button noob" comment. Been using different forums for different subject matter for years and its just become cliche' to make these comments. Its the nature of any forum to get the same questions over and over so I'd suggest getting use to it.

If you already new everything you needed to know about FI Reliability.. then skip my thread...

Last edited by mmocam; 02-27-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmocam
You guys beat anything I've seen from an elitist perspective. My advice... enjoy the 350z community while its thriving.

I mean I bet every other thread I've read on this forum is filled with the obligitory.. let me get my post count to a thousand so here is another "use the search button noob" comment. Been using different forums for different subject matter for years and its just become cliche' to make these comments. Its the nature of any forum to get the same questions over and over so I'd suggest getting use to it.

If you already new everything you needed to know about FI Reliability.. then skip my thread...
word....take it easy guys....you're scaring off new members. As for reliability....putting FI on a NA designed car is a bit of a gamble. Some pop the motor in 2k miles....others 80k miles. It comes down to install and tune. Find the right guys to do your work or do it yourself. Things do happen and you can't always predict what comes next....but you can prepare yourself. If you plan on adding a turbo setup to the Z. Have some cake stacked away for the day you blow your motor. Be warned...parts for this car are EXPENSIVE. You can easily make a mustang just as fast or even faster for far less money. Just something to consider when buying this car.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:44 AM
streetracer

well said. true.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:51 AM
clemlover15

reliability is a hard thing to get **** can happen to the best set-ups the only you can do is minimize bad **** from happen (ie, good fuel return, ECU, internals, super tune, super instal)
even then **** can go wrong but the chances are less, spend you $ wisely and have peace of mind.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Old School
word....take it easy guys....you're scaring off new members. As for reliability....putting FI on a NA designed car is a bit of a gamble. Some pop the motor in 2k miles....others 80k miles. It comes down to install and tune. Find the right guys to do your work or do it yourself. Things do happen and you can't always predict what comes next....but you can prepare yourself. If you plan on adding a turbo setup to the Z. Have some cake stacked away for the day you blow your motor. Be warned...parts for this car are EXPENSIVE. You can easily make a mustang just as fast or even faster for far less money. Just something to consider when buying this car.
Good advice overall here from Sentry-but I disagree what I bolded, even when those 2 are right on, there is a chance.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Good advice overall here from Sentry-but I disagree what I bolded, even when those 2 are right on, there is a chance.
Somehow, everytime you quote me....Old School always translates into Sentry when it get to your screen. lol. Weird. Selective reading bert? lol.

Anyhow....yea...read down a couple more lines....."Things do happen and you can't always predict what comes next....but you can prepare yourself." But I get what you're saying....