Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Staggered Turbos?????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007 | 07:15 PM
widerisbetter

Default Staggered Turbos?????????

I was just wandering if anyone has thought of doing a staggered twin turbo setup for the VQ? I have seen alot of Supras that use a small turbo like a GT28 too boost from idle to around 4k and than a larger turbo like the t88 to take over and hit the topend. I was just wandering if anyone has done this? I know it would be a plumbing nightmare but It would be nice to boost from 8psi at 2k to about 20 or so on the topend. Another thing I think is neat is when they use I large turbo that hits like a hammer at 5k.
I know this really has nothing to do with anything, It late and my wife and I are fighting so I just need to get away for awhile
Old 07-23-2007 | 07:20 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

sumter eh! bet your a fan of the *****?
Old 07-23-2007 | 07:20 PM
Cannysage

Originally Posted by widerisbetter
I was just wandering if anyone has thought of doing a staggered twin turbo setup for the VQ? I have seen alot of Supras that use a small turbo like a GT28 too boost from idle to around 4k and than a larger turbo like the t88 to take over and hit the topend. I was just wandering if anyone has done this? I know it would be a plumbing nightmare but It would be nice to boost from 8psi at 2k to about 20 or so on the topend. Another thing I think is neat is when they use I large turbo that hits like a hammer at 5k.
I know this really has nothing to do with anything, It late and my wife and I are fighting so I just need to get away for awhile
no
Old 07-23-2007 | 07:29 PM
taurran

MkIV Supras came with sequential turbos stock. There's really no reason to do this on a Z as response with the TT kits on the market it almost instant. If you're complaining about lag on this car, you've never driven a turbo 350z.

Also, good luck fitting anything like that anywhere on the car. There's no room for much larger than a standard gt35r without making some custom modifications to other components. Good luck fitting a huge t88 turbo in there with a smaller turbo...
Old 07-23-2007 | 07:37 PM
BornSlippyZ

Taurran is right, plus the 2jz is an in-line six and sequential TT systems are two overly complicated systems. 92 up FD's and Mk iv turbo supras are cars that came stock with sequential systems. Most guys uncomplicate the turbo system by going to one monster turbo.

Old 07-24-2007 | 06:16 AM
QuadCam

about the only lag you'll have with a TT VQ35 is if you are punching the car from 1000 rpms in 6th gear.
Old 07-24-2007 | 06:18 AM
doug

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
Old 07-24-2007 | 06:25 AM
fast kiwi

cant imagine this will work too well but what the hell.. give it a try show us some install pic's and let us all know how long your new install works.. i say G/L to you..
Old 07-24-2007 | 07:20 AM
widerisbetter

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
Im stationed at Shaw AFB, So im not from around here. But it sure is fun to say "I like to watch the ***** every saturday" and see peoples expresions
Old 07-24-2007 | 07:22 AM
widerisbetter

Oh trust me, Ill never take on a project like this. I was just looking for a conversation topic since I havent heard any mention of it being done before.
Old 07-24-2007 | 07:25 AM
THE TECH

I was just wandering if anyone has thought of doing a staggered twin turbo setup for the VQ? I have seen alot of Supras that use a small turbo like a GT28 too boost from idle to around 4k and than a larger turbo like the t88 to take over and hit the topend.
Never heard of such a thing. I owned an MKIV for 5 years and never came across anything like that. The stock turbos do work like that, but you cannot adapt some aftermarket turbos to do that.
Old 07-24-2007 | 11:07 AM
SouthernG35

I love the GAMECOCKS!!! Season ticket holder for years!! See ya in ATL.
in January.
Old 07-24-2007 | 11:40 AM
warmmilk

I have seen alot of Supras that use a small turbo like a GT28 too boost from idle to around 4k and than a larger turbo like the t88 to take over and hit the topend.
please provide an example of at least one supra like that

i know sound performance was working on something like that for the supra, but i don't know what turbo's they used and if they are still working on it or if they gave up, but i'm pretty sure its not in production yet

is there anybody besided sp working on something like that or already accoplished something like that?
Old 07-24-2007 | 05:43 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器
Premier Member

+1 about it being extremely difficult to fit a sequential turbo system on a Z or a G.

Isn't it easier to just run nitrous to help the power curve when running a huge laggy turbo? Isn't that what a lot of the Supra guys do?
Old 07-25-2007 | 02:09 PM
coreapoc

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Isn't it easier to just run nitrous to help the power curve when running a huge laggy turbo? Isn't that what a lot of the Supra guys do?

For a lot of MK4 owners, its sort of an insult to suggest the use of nitrous.

The reason for the turbo setup in the MK4 is the much lower compression. Granted a lot of guys go to big singles, but its not to uncomplicate the process. Its for sheer power. Granted in a race a 350 would get out of the gate quicker but around 90-120 it would be over.
Old 07-25-2007 | 02:19 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by coreapoc
For a lot of MK4 owners, its sort of an insult to suggest the use of nitrous.

The reason for the turbo setup in the MK4 is the much lower compression. Granted a lot of guys go to big singles, but its not to uncomplicate the process. Its for sheer power. Granted in a race a 350 would get out of the gate quicker but around 90-120 it would be over.
Really? That's interesting because I know a lot of them that run it, and even more that run race gas consistently (unlike most boosted Z owners).

If both cars have equal traction, full weight interior, and the *same peak power*, the Z wins, period. (bottom end power, more efficient motor, lighter)

Anyway, there's no reason to start a boosted Z vs supra debate. Anyone who knows anything about what makes a fast car will understand the differences.
Old 07-25-2007 | 02:23 PM
coreapoc

Originally Posted by taurran
Really? That's interesting because I know a lot of them that run it, and even more that run race gas consistently (unlike most boosted Z owners).

Ive actually seen people get pissy because someone asked them how larger of a shot they were using.. As far as race fuel, well thats still fuel - plus mapping for that is a bit safer, as far as performance. As far as Z owners running it, Im assuming its due to them either being iffy about it, or the stock fuel system is still in place.

Anyway, there's no reason to start a boosted Z vs supra debate. Anyone who knows anything about what makes a fast car will understand the differences.
Very true. But it also depends if the person in the supra brake boosts

Last edited by coreapoc; 07-25-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2007 | 02:27 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by coreapoc
Ive actually seen people get pissy because someone asked them how larger of a shot they were using.. As far as race fuel, well thats still fuel - plus mapping for that is a bit safer, as far as performance. As far as Z owners running it, Im assuming its due to them either being iffy about it, or the stock fuel system is still in place.
Not really. It seems two different worlds when it comes to big power. The Z crowd seems to be more of a practical type while supra owners tend to be more radical to the point of being secretive about their setups and not opening their hood or talking about what they've got.

I personally want a solid number on pump gas with my build, a race gas number is just an afterthought. I think most Z owners are this way.
Old 07-25-2007 | 02:29 PM
coreapoc

I personally want a solid number on pump gas with my build, a race gas number is just an afterthought. I think most Z owners are this way.
Personally I dont see myself ever going to race fuel. I prefer a daily driver.
Old 08-08-2007 | 05:13 PM
warmmilk

well the thing about *high* (800+) hp supra owners is that to most of them its their second or third (or more) car, they drive in once a week, if that. so running nothing but race gas in it is like putting in race gas in ur car once a week or whenever u go to the track. plus, the average *high* hp supra owner is usually pretty well off in the financial department. building a car of that magnitude is not cheap, or even reasonably priced.

ps.
love that sig coreapoc

Quick Reply: Staggered Turbos?????????