Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

5AT: A detailed look at the trans used on 5AT Zs/Gs

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:34 AM
ajcool2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marques1
oh ok cool well hopefully we can do this to the z im very interested in this. Well this cause you to run better 1/4 mile times because of crisper shifts or would you not notice the difference. I will check my pm for the launching techniques and thank you very much.
I think I did try to see the difference in my track times with it on and off and it was a little faster with the switch on. It wasnt by much but it was faster.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:04 AM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like you might have to start another thread to see if this mod can be done to the z because it doesn't look like this thread is getting to much attention what do you think. By the way thank you for the launching techniques i will try them next time im out at the track.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:10 AM
DanielW
Banned

When I got my VB upgrade done with SGP they told me that the debris that they saw indicated that the clutch packs were experiencing some wear. So am I correct that this http://www.transmissioncenter.net/Nissan_RE5R05A.htm would fix that issue? And how hard/time consuming would it be for a shop to replace these if this is indeed what they were referring to?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:04 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danielwebb
When I got my VB upgrade done with SGP they told me that the debris that they saw indicated that the clutch packs were experiencing some wear. So am I correct that this http://www.transmissioncenter.net/Nissan_RE5R05A.htm would fix that issue? And how hard/time consuming would it be for a shop to replace these if this is indeed what they were referring to?
Daniel its a complete trans rebuild so it aint gonna be cheap.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:24 PM
DanielW
Banned

137 bux for parts on a complete trans rebuild? I thought this was just the clutch packs
Old 09-28-2007, 04:48 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by danielwebb
137 bux for parts on a complete trans rebuild? I thought this was just the clutch packs
I am also interested in this issue. Does anyone have a definitive answer on whether this clutch pack kit from Alto will not only fix damaged parts, but also improve performance/longevity by any appreciable margin?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:13 AM
DanielW
Banned

yeah I don't see how 137 bux worth of parts would necessetate a full tranny rebuild
Old 09-28-2007, 08:23 AM
MardiGrasMax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need both sets of packs, input and direct, so its ~$250 of parts. To do it you need to tear down the trans to its core. These are the parts you replace to do a rebuild usually, they are the wear items in the trans. Figure full R&R plus the rebuild. Id imagine AAMCO or any decent trans shop could do this for you, the parts are OE spec just better material. I have a set in my garage, I plan do DIY once I find a beater car to drive.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:35 AM
coachk
Banned

I remember awhile back the clutch pack issue was brought up. IIRC the Alto clutch packs that are on that website^^, are not the heavy duty clutch packs that Alto was supposed to be putting out. They are similiar to the OEM ones, maybe a tad better. Try to search this topic I know it was discussed
Old 09-28-2007, 10:35 AM
MardiGrasMax

Those are the Red Eagle and Kolene performance packs. Ive talks to them about it, they claim that if a stock trans with an upgraded valve body can hold 450whp reliably then a trans with the Red Eagle and Kolene parts and a valve body upgrade should handle 650whp no problem.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:31 PM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Those are the Red Eagle and Kolene performance packs. Ive talks to them about it, they claim that if a stock trans with an upgraded valve body can hold 450whp reliably then a trans with the Red Eagle and Kolene parts and a valve body upgrade should handle 650whp no problem.
Thanks for the info.....do you remember what packs Alto was putting out before the Red Eagles.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:37 PM
DanielW
Banned

so anyone have any ideas on what kind of labor hours this project would take a shop to complete?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:14 PM
MardiGrasMax

"Alto Standard" were the first ones made, they are OE quality.

No idea on the hours for a shop, it will take me "weeks"
Old 11-08-2007, 01:31 PM
1G'

any new info on this? anyone get the red eagle and Kolene parts installed? if yes how much did you pay for labor??
Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 AM
roneski

Originally Posted by 1G'
any new info on this? anyone get the red eagle and Kolene parts installed? if yes how much did you pay for labor??
I was quoted by a very good local tranny shop $2800 parts and labor included. I'm definitely gonna pull the trigger but it may not be until after the holiday season.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:28 PM
1G'

2800 isn't too bad. It could be a lot better but....

Anyway whats the name of the shop??
Old 11-16-2007, 01:58 PM
roneski

Originally Posted by 1G'
2800 isn't too bad. It could be a lot better but....

Anyway whats the name of the shop??
Dudley's Transmission. Don't let the name fool ya, they are something of a speed shop and have a very good rep with just about everyone I've talked to at LVMS. Best local shop I've found.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:10 AM
MardiGrasMax

I put the Alto Power Pack Red Eagle/Kolene input and direct pack parts in and it the trans and it was MUCH easier than I thought. Pretty much goes as the FSM and Alto instructions say except I had to double up the bottom kolene steel on the direct pack to get the propper clearence in my G's version of the trans. No special tools needed, just sockets, screw drivers, patience and some skill. Roy with Alto USA in Alabama is was a big help with this install.

Since my trans has only 36k miles of mostly highway NA driving I didnt do a full over haul, just changed the direct and input packs. My break band looked worn so I am changing that part becasue its easy and right their.

The hardest part of this was taking the trans out the car. I pulled the trans and engine as one piece out of the front of the car. I couldnt see why a trans shop would charge you more than 1 or 2 hours of labor on top of the R&R for the trans to just install the Alto Power Pack parts in your working transmission. A full rebuild would of course be much more.

I'm also adding a ProTorque converter on top of the SGP VB I already have. Also a B&M trans cooler and B&M external filter. Redline D4 ATF now meets J Matic specs and I will be using this fluid, I am a big fan of Redline fluids. I should have my DIY motor build and Greddy TT install done and everything back together by February. I'll update after I put the trans to the test.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:48 AM
coachk
Banned

[QUOTE=MardiGrasMax]I put the Alto Power Pack Red Eagle/Kolene input and direct pack parts in and it the trans and it was MUCH easier than I thought. Pretty much goes as the FSM and Alto instructions say except I had to double up the bottom kolene steel on the direct pack to get the propper clearence in my G's version of the trans. No special tools needed, just sockets, screw drivers, patience and some skill. Roy with Alto USA in Alabama is was a big help with this install.

Thanks fot the info....would you know if the alto power pack red eagle/kolene are the same parts that SGP and GTM use when they do the tranny upgrade.
I already have the VB and TQ conv in my car so the only thing I need to upgrade my tranny is the clutch packs and bands.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2007, 10:39 AM
MardiGrasMax

I don't know for sure what direct/input clutch packs SGP or GTM use. I don't know of any other true high performance clutch packs for this trans. Alto and Raybestos make "OE Improvement" parts, but from what I know they are not "Performance" parts. I would also be sure that SGP and the others dont just change the input and direct packs, they for sure do a full rebuild replacing all the other packs, seals, o-rings etc.

What I do know from talking to Kyle and Thomas at SGP, (who have been a big help, even to a DIY'r like me) is that SGP also does a modification to the direct and/or input clutch pack "apply piston" that evolves machining certain parts of the trans case and adding different parts to enlarge the apply piston so it applies more pressure per square inch to the packs. Roy from Alto mentioned this same thing to me, so I believe it is something that can offer additional holding power. If what I have done wont hold then I will send the whole trans to SGP and let them do their thing.

Quick Reply: 5AT: A detailed look at the trans used on 5AT Zs/Gs