Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Advice concerning cooling with FI

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:31 AM
SilverSpear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice concerning cooling with FI

Here it goes... a friend of mine is thinking of installing either an S/C or a TT in his Z. But the issue over here (Qatar) is high temperature (up to 55* Celsius) with extreme humidity. What system do you recommend? and what is the ultimate cooling system which should be followed for either option.

I personally advised him to go with the TT. But what is the "already ready" cooling system that should be bought in this context... if existing!

Thanks in advance
Old 08-28-2007, 03:50 AM
Dubai

For cooling,

koyo radiator
nismo thermostat
oil cooler
samco hoses

with all of the above my car still overheats nowadays when i drive it hard no matter what. I never drive my car during day light. humidity here sucks big time. i think a supercharger would be ideal for our countries since it wont generate the stress and heat a turbo'ed car would make.

Last edited by Dubai; 08-28-2007 at 03:53 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:58 AM
qxz9027mkii

I can feel you, the same here in UAE one of my friends have the Jim Wolf Kit added a 3 row koyo radiator + 2 Fans between the rad and the engine, the temperature is absolutely normal even cruising at highways at 200 KMH or driving in city at noon when its C, we chose Jim wolf because there turbos are water cooled APS is water cooled but we wanted something different, water cooled turbos proved there durability on our land cruisers and Nissan patrols in our region,,,
Old 08-28-2007, 04:16 AM
Dubai

Originally Posted by qxz9027mkii
I can feel you, the same here in UAE one of my friends have the Jim Wolf Kit added a 3 row koyo radiator + 2 Fans between the rad and the engine, the temperature is absolutely normal even cruising at highways at 200 KMH or driving in city at noon when its C, we chose Jim wolf because there turbos are water cooled APS is water cooled but we wanted something different, water cooled turbos proved there durability on our land cruisers and Nissan patrols in our region,,,

how much boost is your friend making and is he facing any overheat when he's racing or driving it hard?

I assume the 2 fans are custom made. mind telling where he did them?
Old 08-28-2007, 04:20 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai
how much boost is your friend making and is he facing any overheat when he's racing or driving it hard?

GTM has a new fan setup
Old 08-28-2007, 04:40 AM
TENGAI

For cooling,

koyo radiator
nismo thermostat
oil cooler
samco hoses

with all of the above my car still overheats nowadays when i drive it hard no matter what. I never drive my car during day light. humidity here sucks big time. i think a supercharger would be ideal for our countries since it wont generate the stress and heat a turbo'ed car would make.
Try running a high temp waterless coolant too. Evans NPG-R may be the ticket for you guys. Also, are you running the thin or thick core rad?
Old 08-28-2007, 04:43 AM
TENGAI

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
GTM has a new fan setup
+1. GTM and Forged Performance are both offering new fan/shroud setups that should help with heat issues...
Old 08-28-2007, 04:44 AM
qxz9027mkii

he is running the same boost set by the KIT, he did them here in Abudhabi by Nashad in Evotechnic.

actually he is not an aggresive driver but he drives much between ALAin and AD,,,
Old 08-28-2007, 05:43 AM
Dubai

Originally Posted by TENGAI
Try running a high temp waterless coolant too. Evans NPG-R may be the ticket for you guys. Also, are you running the thin or thick core rad?

I have the thin 36mm koyo. I'll switch to the 53mm and see if there is any difference.

anyone know if the thick koyo rad will fit with APS TT?

Originally Posted by qxz9027mkii
he is running the same boost set by the KIT, he did them here in Abudhabi by Nashad in Evotechnic.

that explains it, JWT's stock boost is ~6 psi. try to up it to 10-11 psi and see if there is any difference in coolant temp.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:25 AM
SilverSpear

Ok guys... this forum is so huge and diversified in information that I cannot keep track of all the details behind a TT setup... please can someone detail the required parts for me with possibly the links for purchase? (the best prices?)

Pleassssssssse??????
Old 08-28-2007, 06:32 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the thin 36mm koyo. I'll switch to the 53mm and see if there is any difference.

that explains it, JWT's stock boost is ~6 psi. try to up it to 10-11 psi and see if there is any difference in coolant temp.
It will fit but you'll need to do some trimming. I wouldn't if I were you since you already have the 36mm. Not really worth it. Get a tstat
Old 08-28-2007, 07:18 AM
qxz9027mkii

IMO its how fast + the volume of the coolant you cool down.

larger radiator helps cooling more volume of coolant but with the same area or lets say with same amount of air that goes through the radiator it will take more time without the aid of fans,,

Fans will pass more air through the radiator which will cool down the coolant more significantly specially if you have a small radiator and if you usually race at lower gears being at high rpms most of the time, your koyo i think will be fine,

try fans first and see what happens,,,

Last edited by qxz9027mkii; 08-28-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Here it goes... a friend of mine is thinking of installing either an S/C or a TT in his Z. But the issue over here (Qatar) is high temperature (up to 55* Celsius) with extreme humidity. What system do you recommend? and what is the ultimate cooling system which should be followed for either option.

I personally advised him to go with the TT. But what is the "already ready" cooling system that should be bought in this context... if existing!

Thanks in advance

keep your stock undertray on.
get a vented hood that has holes near the front of the hood to vent out radiator heat.
ARC radiator (or Power Enterprise), super efficient dual row radiator.
large oil cooler
remove all the plastic shroud that is next to wiper blades, i noticed a 5-7*C drop in water temps when i did that on the freeway.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:15 PM
fklentz

I have the AMS radiator, jwt tt running boost at 11 psi. I have no over temp issues at all, today the 85mph 70 mile drive home was around 90F to 105F as it has been the last month, my thermostat sits were it always does, not a hint of problems at all.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:37 PM
DMK

For cooling,

koyo radiator
nismo thermostat
oil cooler
samco hoses

Maybe you should think about getting those huge fans that GTM or FP sells.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dubai, i am thinking you might have some other issues happening with your car. At idle and cruise, the car should not be overheating...even in very hot weather with your setup.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Dubai

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Dubai, i am thinking you might have some other issues happening with your car. At idle and cruise, the car should not be overheating...even in very hot weather with your setup.

At idle and when cruising the temp is normal. it only overheats when I push it hard for quite sometime, it doesnt reach a dangerous level but still overheats, then it goes back to normal temp when I let of the gas. this been happening to me for over 9 months now. I dont believe its a headlift, no air in the cooling system and i did a compression test, all good. guess I'm gonna try those huge fans kits and see if it makes any difference.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:26 PM
xav_350z

^ +1

Dany !! gotchaaa
well even in lebanon my car is overheating in summer ( a little bit)
what about Water/Meth Injection ? im sure this setup can help too
Old 08-29-2007, 09:59 PM
SilverSpear

Originally Posted by xav_350z
^ +1

Dany !! gotchaaa
well even in lebanon my car is overheating in summer ( a little bit)
what about Water/Meth Injection ? im sure this setup can help too
Yo Xav!! Been here for quite a while bro... where have you been?

Anyways... Dubai... try those fans and feedback the results...
Old 08-30-2007, 02:17 PM
xav_350z

dan!
bro is there any TT setup for sale in Qatar ? :P

Quick Reply: Advice concerning cooling with FI