Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech using Stock internals etc...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Drock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech using Stock internals etc...

Hey whats up...

it was just a matter of time before I found myself thinking to go SuperCharged..LOL..

its something Im still pretty hesitant to do...

Before getting burnt by someone.. I did a search on my question, but nothing really came up..

Ive been told that if you install a Vortech system, with a proper tune on a stock engine, with NO work done at all, other then what the kit comes with and run at 7psi, it is fine. Meaning you can run the car.. daily, push it here and there, and the engine will be able to handle it and not "eventually" break down, or weaken..?

if I thats the case.. then id more comfortable to get one....

but its tough to have confidence in that.. when my friend who is a Nissan mechanic, is highly against it... and stresses, that no matter what.. when you go SC or turbo... without a full engine build, the stock engine will eventually give up and burn.. and with almost certainty run into problems..!

its such BS.. when all the companies state "direct bolt-on"... ya right, direct bolt-on = Burnt engine lol...

so the way I see it... is unless I spend a few extra grand to strengthen the engine its not worth it..!

please provide some feedback...!

thanks
Tony...
Old 11-03-2007, 02:07 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most nissan mechanics think even an aftermarket intake or exhaust will ruin your engine...or at least if they didn't put it on. They'll find some way to justify the ECU messing up and the car exploding or something along those lines

the vortech will run fine. With stock boost and good tune, there might be a possibility that instead of getting say 200k miles out of the engine, you might get 195k instead - it's really really hard to say because no one does scientific testing on things like that. I would agree with saying the vortech will cause extra wear that wouldn't occur if you stayed stock, but it's almost impossible to say to what extent.

you just never know. Stock cars have managed to blow their engine too for whatever other reasons

there's a couple guys with over 60k miles on their car with their vortech with 3.12 pulley and 80-90k miles total on the car if that means anything

Last edited by sentry65; 11-03-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Drock

hi... thanks for the reply.. actually it was your thread that I read before posting..! I learnt alot just from that..! thanks

I know what you mean about a dealer mechanic.. but he's not a by the book guy.. he's installed my current natural mods...etc.. and he has nicely modified G35 sedan.... he was more cautionning on the idea of going FI without a good engine build..

sorry.. what do you mean "stock boost"..? is that 7psi ?

Generally.. I dont drive my car hard hard.. to beginning with.. to buy the vortech for me, is more the hobby/ personal satisfaction to build up my Z.... so its not like im going to start riping up the roads cause now im SC'd...

with my curent mods... INjen intake, MD spacer, Ichiba y-pipe, custom 3" exhaust.. the car is faster then i'll ever need.. anyways!

with my mods... minus the intake of course and a good tune.... what kind of power do you think is possible... using the 3.12 pulley and 7psi.. ? the vortech is advertised to go from 287hp to 412hp... so im assuming thats on a stock engine...
Old 11-03-2007, 03:13 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Hey i ran a stillen s/c for 26,000 miles with not a problem and am now running greddy twins on it with no problems for 5,000 miles.You will be fine with the vortech even running it at a higher boost level.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:17 PM
sentry65
the burninator

you'd probably be around 360-380whp with the 3.12 pulley and stock cats, but it's going to depend on your tune and how well your custom 3" exhaust will flow.

I'd have to say though, if you generally don't drive your car hard, you're probably not going to get the most fun out of the vortech which lives for being driven hard up high in the upper rpms. Of course you'll notice the difference though. Even at low rpms, the car will be much more responsive than NA.

either way, the guys who've damaged their engine with their vortech have done so because they're either pushing the limits and going for really high power, or weren't tuned quite right and ran hard anyway, or previously did a lot of NA or nitrous abuse before adding their vortech, or missed a shift which reved the engine to over 8500 rpms, or they regularly reved 400-500 rpms above their stock redline

So if you're not going to push the car really hard or try to break stock block power records, I wouldn't think you'd have much to be worried about IMO. I'd say the same thing would apply to running a turbo too.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Drock

hi, wicked man... i appreciate the replies..

that helps alot... and because i'll never abuse it.. i should not have problems..!

so the 380whp.... probably converts to around the advertised 412hp right..

I listened to some videos on youtube etc... and like you said.. the vortech sounds like broken machine all clanking at idle. but I guess this is normal.. and with the tuning to bring up the idle should stop it..

I live in Montreal.. so soon the Z will be stored away... but the vortech will definitely be something to do in the spring... that would be awsome...!

heres a pic of my Z....

Last edited by Drock; 11-03-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:37 PM
BornSlippyZ

I do not have the vortech installed on my Z but my wife has it on her Scion TC...It makes a little noise @ idle but you cannot here it from the inside of the car...I just installed a 9 PSI pulley and the car is pretty quick.maybe 205 @ tires...we have no reliablity problems...BTW my wife drives about 100+ miles a day...When I have the cash to mod the Z the Vortech will probably be my choice.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Drock

so now, my next delema is wether to spend 6-7k on setting up my Z with the Vortech in the spring... OR spend the same cash on on a set of D implants that my girlfriend has been wanting...........! LOL...

thats a tough one... LOL.. what would you do..?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:14 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drock
so now, my next delema is wether to spend 6-7k on setting up my Z with the Vortech in the spring... OR spend the same cash on on a set of D implants that my girlfriend has been wanting...........! LOL...

NEVER....I SAID NEVER.....buy implants for a girl friend !

when she leaves you...your chit out of luck .

A Vortech SC isnt going any where
Old 11-04-2007, 08:23 AM
eltness350
The Untouchable

+1000000000000000000000000000000000
Old 11-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Drock

Originally Posted by booger
NEVER....I SAID NEVER.....buy implants for a girl friend !

when she leaves you...your chit out of luck .

A Vortech SC isnt going any where

ya I know what you mean... but we are practically married, we are together for 9 1/2 years... besides 50% of the reason she wants to do it.. is for me..

im not that stupid... I would never do that for a girl who I was only with for 1 or 2 years...

anyways its stilll a tough call ! LOL.. Vortech or implants..
Old 11-04-2007, 09:02 AM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to ask, you're not making that decision anyway. But if I had $7K to use on FI, I would find a way to add 3K more and get twins installed.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:33 AM
xav_350z

^+1
thats the best u can do if ur really looking for more then 500 bhp...

i have a vortech s/c on my z ( 9.5 psi) , and im happy with it.
i might switch to Twins but im still confused!
Old 11-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Z33steve

Good thread for a potential vortech buyer. I myself am set on getting the vortech. I am about 2 months out from buying it so I am trying to read up as much as possible.

I am curious about the stock "kit" A/R tune. Is the kit tuned really rich out of the box?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:36 PM
athenG

hi, wicked man... i appreciate the replies..

that helps alot... and because i'll never abuse it.. i should not have problems..!

so the 380whp.... probably converts to around the advertised 412hp right..

I listened to some videos on youtube etc... and like you said.. the vortech sounds like broken machine all clanking at idle. but I guess this is normal.. and with the tuning to bring up the idle should stop it..

I live in Montreal.. so soon the Z will be stored away... but the vortech will definitely be something to do in the spring... that would be awsome...!

heres a pic of my Z....

Nice Z! Now can we get a front view of the Girl!!!!
Old 11-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by Z33steve
Good thread for a potential vortech buyer. I myself am set on getting the vortech. I am about 2 months out from buying it so I am trying to read up as much as possible.

I am curious about the stock "kit" A/R tune. Is the kit tuned really rich out of the box?
Yes, the full Vortech kit is tuned to be pig rich out of the box for safety reasons.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:24 AM
xav_350z

u definitely need a Tune...
Old 11-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Zridder19

Go F/I, her **** can wait
Old 11-05-2007, 03:16 PM
iyah

BRO! I'm in the same boat!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Drock

Originally Posted by iyah
BRO! I'm in the same boat!
shi t man.. thats hilarious..! one or the other is truly a tough one.... it could be a great debate..! as they would both provide great enjoyment..

but concerning the car... I have it setup pretty good... engine wise.. Ive done the basic N/A mods.. plenum, intake, y-pipe, exhaust.... and well, headers ( install is stupid), test pipes ( illegal in my area), chip ( ridiculous).. are not worth the money... so I figured if I put any more money into the car.... the only thing that would be worth it is to go F/I.

Quick Reply: Vortech using Stock internals etc...