Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech, going on #4

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:12 PM
jksstar

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Vortech, going on #4

I'm not posting this to bash on or talk bad about Vortech

Back in the end of Oct. I had my Vortech installed and tuned at Performance Factory, heres the thread https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/310369-you-vortech-guys-missing-that-tq.html
I drove the car home from Orlando, FL to Al. about 480 miles, got home and the next day wanted to take the car to the track and the Vortech ate itself, heres what it looked like http://media.putfile.com/locked-up-vortech-sc

On Oct. 29th I sent it 2nd day air to Vortech (cost me $52) they had it about 3 days then they sent it back 2nd day air (cost $50 something) got the unit back Nov. 7th.

Before I installed #2 I made sure there was no issues with the oil feed line or return line. So with the feed line unhooked from the Vortech I started the motor, oil shot about 10-15ft out of the feed line so I know the Vortech is getting oil. With the return I dumped about 2 qts of oil down it and no issues at all with it going down the return line. So after that I know for sure there is nothing wrong with the oil for the Vortech.

So now I'm on #2, I got it put back on the same day I got it back and everything seemed fine. I drove the car Thur., Fri., Sat. and on Sunday I called Jeremy (Performance Factory) to give him the bad news. around 180 or so miles #2 had went out, same issue as before you could see where the blades were rubbing the housing.

On Nov. 13th I sent the unit back to Vortech (they payed for shipping) they had it for a day or 2 and then sent it back to me. I got #3 on Nov. 20th but I had alot going on with work and thanksgiving and I was not able to get it back on untill Fri. the 23rd.

Same as last time I made sure the oil lines were fine before reinstalling.

Now as soon as I started the car the S/C did not sound right so I looked over everything and it all seemed fine. Took the car for a ride and it seemed good. Today drove the car to work and it was getting louder as I drove, went to lunch and when I was waiting it started getting louder and louder got back to work and parked it.
On my way home the car was running good got on it alittle and it all seemed fine just very loud, pulled up to the house and before I was even parked my wife came out and asked why it was so loud (now she could hear the S/C inside the house with all the windows and door shut ). I opened the hood with the car running and it was so high pitched it hurt my ears, I shut the car off and took off the air filter.................... you can see a line where the blades are already rubbing the housing

I only have around 50 miles on it !!!!!

So to get to the point I have had 3 S/Cs go out and I don't even have 1000 miles on the kit yet

Vortech has been easy to work with on getting them fixed and I'm sure they will get this one taken care of as well.
Now I hope they can get the issues with the units fixed soon
Old 11-26-2007, 04:17 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn that just sucks man, sorry to hear that - especially since you have such an awesome setup

there's just no excuse for 4 blowers to be bad. I mean, did they lose some of their techs and have a bunch of new guys or something?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:19 PM
DMK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't pay for shipping to them anymore.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 980 Likes on 743 Posts

does the 2.87 over rev the blower? have you taken it to redline? Did you spray with each new blower?

sucks to hear that. Sounds like all three had bearing failures. Vortech told me a possible cause was over spinning the blower ( not the cause of my failure, im still on the 3.33 pulley)
Old 11-26-2007, 04:21 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that.. Just tell them you need a TTrim
Old 11-26-2007, 04:27 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I've wondered if a T-trim would be more durable since it uses race bearings etc and is an overall more expensive blower.

I just updated the vortech faq warning people that vortech's quality control lately has been awful. I kept hoping it was just some bad batch, but they seem to still be cranking out crap
Old 11-26-2007, 04:38 PM
jksstar

Originally Posted by sentry65
I just updated the vortech faq warning people that vortech's quality control lately has been awful. I kept hoping it was just some bad batch, but they seem to still be cranking out crap
Thank you I still think the Vortech is a good kit that can make good power and run fast times but people really need to have a heads up with whats going on.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Zridder19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to see this.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:41 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet, with all the new Vortechs crapping out, the value of used Vortech SC should go up now... Anyone want mine
Old 11-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

this sux, right now as much as i love my vortech kit, i wouldnt recommend it to anyone until this crap has been fixed. i guess i lucked out buying a used kit. OP, i hope vortech can get this right for you.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:44 PM
jksstar

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
does the 2.87 over rev the blower? have you taken it to redline? Did you spray with each new blower?

sucks to hear that. Sounds like all three had bearing failures. Vortech told me a possible cause was over spinning the blower ( not the cause of my failure, im still on the 3.33 pulley)
I would not think it would be over spinning, I have yet to take any of the 3 to red line (7000rpms for me) only time any of them seen 7000rpms was on the dyno (#1). I shift at 6500-6600 rpms and #3 did not go over 6000 rpms.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:46 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by Nexx
this sux, right now as much as i love my vortech kit, i wouldnt recommend it to anyone until this crap has been fixed. i guess i lucked out buying a used kit. OP, i hope vortech can get this right for you.
+1
so much for the vortech being one of the more generally reliable kits - unless you count your car sitting in the garage waiting for a fixed blower "reliable" as far as not blowing up the engine

I wore out my jackshaft bearing after about 5000 miles. It was simple enough to replace according to my mechanic. I'm not sure if it has to do with the pulley or how often the car gets redlined, or how much power you're running, or just luck of the draw
Old 11-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 980 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by jksstar
I would not think it would be over spinning, I have yet to take any of the 3 to red line (7000rpms for me) only time any of them seen 7000rpms was on the dyno (#1). I shift at 6500-6600 rpms and #3 did not go over 6000 rpms.

theres a rpm calculator on the vortech site: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...d%20Calculator

calculate what rpm the impeller hits at your shift points. I dont know the specs off hand but heres some ballparks:

crank: 5"
jackshaft" 32
supercharger: 28
your pulley: 2.87

feel free to correct those. I think the v2 is good to 50,000rpm
Old 11-26-2007, 05:11 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I just emailed vortech on their customer support online email thing here http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...t.php?thanks=1 and also to info@vortechsuperchargers.com

here's what I said:
Just thought I'd let you know, the 350Z and G35 communities have been having an unacceptable high amount of new vortech kits with defective blowers in them.

I currently have a FAQ on the my350z.com forums that contains a lot of useful information about the 350Z/G35 vortech kits to help educate and promote the vortech superchargers.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/270770-vortech-faq-read-this-before-asking-vortech-questions.html

...and as you can see from the first sentence on the page, I can no longer recommend the vortech kit to people. I've been reading about too many blowers being defective for the past few months to let it slide any longer. On that website, g35driver.com, *********, 350zmotoring.com, and others, I'm known as one of the big vortech supporters. There's people who have had four blowers defective in a row not even lasting 50 miles in somes cases. It's gotten out of hand.

Anyway, when the day comes that there aren't so many defective V-2 SQ SC-trim blowers being sold with brand new kits, then I'll retract my opening couple sentences from that page and go back to recommending vortech kits to people.
if enough people email them ASAP all at once, maybe they'll take notice that people are not happy

Last edited by sentry65; 11-26-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:21 PM
jksstar

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
theres a rpm calculator on the vortech site: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...d%20Calculator

calculate what rpm the impeller hits at your shift points. I dont know the specs off hand but heres some ballparks:

crank: 5"
jackshaft" 32
supercharger: 28
your pulley: 2.87

feel free to correct those. I think the v2 is good to 50,000rpm
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...p=6&cat_key=17
Maximum impeller speed: 53,000 RPM

is 5" right for the crank pulley? It looks like its around 5 3/4" but its hard to tell with it on the car
Old 11-26-2007, 05:22 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sentry65
if enough people email them ASAP all at once, maybe they'll take notice that people are not happy
QFT, you guys that have had failures (especially multiple failures) need to be screaming your heads off to Vortech. 3 failures in a row?! That is absurd.

They should be on this forum explaining themselves at this point.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:27 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Justin. You have got to be kidding me. You are now going on # 4.

Chad
Old 11-26-2007, 06:06 PM
jonnylaw

This is why I'll never buy a Vortech
Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 PM
jksstar

Originally Posted by cdoxp800
Justin. You have got to be kidding me. You are now going on # 4.

Chad
wish I was kidding, I can say I'm getting very good at taking the S/C off and putting the new one back in

Yes after I get one back it will be #4.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Sean

if you are saying the fan blades are digging into the sides of the housing, it could be the same thing that the fan blades of jet engines are susseptable to.

the engine heats, all things expand, but if the area around the blades cools too fast before the blades do, you end up with blades scraping the housing.

usually this is caused by not allowing a cooldown after running the engine.
running it at idel for 5 minutes before shutiing the engine off might be what you can do to prevent this.

Quick Reply: Vortech, going on #4