Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Japtrix APS TT in Dubai

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 07:23 PM
DXB350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Japtrix APS TT in Dubai

hey gentlemen

Buying a ’04 350Z with an APSTT/APS plenum/APS 2.5” exhaust system at stock boost level ~8.5psi..car has less than 18,000miles on it…~5500 miles boosted..the previous owner is my friend and I knew he did not rape the car…he drove it hard but did not abuse it. The car was built and tuned at Japtrix, Florida..however he brought it back with him when he finished college so its here in dubai now.
The car includes a lot of other nice mods such as Stoptechs BBK front and rears as well as a beautiful set of TE37s…

I have gotten over 350Zs along time ago and have been working on my evo IX..however…this car is in immaculate shape…I cannot resist its sexiness..really its unbelievable…also the deal I am getting is a “stupid if you pass on this” kinda thing…so..i am considering getting back into the GAME!!

Got a couple of questions:
- how good are japtrix…do they tend to build reliable Z’s?
- how reliable is a Z with an APS TT on stock boost level (my butt-dyno tells me somewhere around the 390whp territory)
- what should I look at before buying it.

thanks in advance…also I will post pics of it if/when I get it…

respect,
Moose
Old 12-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Dubai

Moose,

Japtrix is a pretty good shop. westpak works there and on this forum... 8.5psi with APS plenum and exhaust I'd say its in the ~400whp with a conservative tune.

reliability of a boosted Z depends on how well the car is maintained and how hard you push it. with only 5500 miles boosted and 18k total I'd say the engine is still fine (assuming the tune is good and the car havent been abused much)

when buying a boosted Z I'd look into the following:

- do a compression / leakdown test
- put the car on the dyno to check its A/F ratio
- check if there is any smoke coming out of the exhaust
- check the temp after a couple of WOT runs and at idle

APS TT kit is the most reliable kit (out of the box) since its the most complete kit, speaking on stock block!!
Old 12-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Japtrix set up an 06' that runs at my track with an APS TT ("extreme"?) kit. It puts over 500HP to the wheels, (Dyno verified) and has ran with no complaints from the owner. He runs in HPDE and our autocross venue for more than a year now. That car gets driven hard too.

Japtrix also installed my Quaife LSD a little over a year ago with no problems there either.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:55 PM
DXB350Z

Originally Posted by Dubai

when buying a boosted Z I'd look into the following:

- do a compression / leakdown test Will DO
- put the car on the dyno to check its A/F ratio Will DO
- check if there is any smoke coming out of the exhaust DONE
- check the temp after a couple of WOT runs and at idle DONE

thanks

anything else people?
Old 12-24-2007, 08:23 PM
maximumsportZ

Japtrix is a top notch shop. They installed my APS TT kit on my stock block motor, I drove it out of their shop with no problems. Roger is a dead on tuner when it comes to Z's.

20k miles later on my stock block no problems, never went back to their shop for any issues. I wouldn't be too worried.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Zridder19

Japtrix is a good shop for sure. No worries. Just check out the car before you buy, just incase
Old 12-25-2007, 12:52 AM
DXB350Z

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
Japtrix is a top notch shop. They installed my APS TT kit on my stock block motor, I drove it out of their shop with no problems. Roger is a dead on tuner when it comes to Z's.

20k miles later on my stock block no problems, never went back to their shop for any issues. I wouldn't be too worried.
what pushed your to build your block maximumsport? is it the mod bug or the genetic disorder of WANTING MORE SPEEED??

thanks
Old 12-25-2007, 02:25 AM
xav_350z

i say do like Dubai just told you and ur good to go
Dubai u have a PM !
Old 12-25-2007, 02:52 AM
DXB350Z

also..i noticed one thing about the car...the bov is not blowing..it has the APS BOV that came with the kit..i had that on my evo and it sounds different...it also sounds different than DUBAI's car which is running the same setup...do you guys think it needs oiling?or reservicing?

DUBAI...is your BOV vented to atmosphere or is it recirculating?

i am thinking of venting to atmo....would this affect anything with the a/f ratios...i doubt because i noticed that the BOV is mounted prior to the MAF sensor..smart move on APS's side

i cant wait to get the car!!
Old 12-25-2007, 02:56 AM
DXB350Z

i also have a BLITZ Dual Drive BOV laying around that came off the evo..which sounds incredible..sounds just like an external wastegate..i might throw that on to see how it works..

what i am worried about is the impact of venting to atmos. on the tune and A/F ratios
Old 12-25-2007, 03:41 AM
Dubai

venting the APS bov wont affect the afr nor the tune. in fact you might get a better idle by doing so. many ppl on this forum have it vented to atmos with no problem...

i no longer have the APS bov since I decided to be more ricey and got the SSQV!
Old 12-25-2007, 03:46 AM
DXB350Z

no worries DUBAI..you have always been a rice queen...hahahahah

thanks for the responses
Old 12-25-2007, 04:46 AM
captj3

You should have no problems with the work Japtrix does. They are a great shop and roger is a great tuner. He installed my aps tt 2yrs ago. I have over 30k on the kit alone on a stock block. Like everyone else said have the car checked out just to make sure everything is ok.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:26 AM
zcon
Banned

ive herd nothing but horror stories from jap trix they seem to not really give 100% to your car due to their massive flow of custoemrs and their pricing is like 120$/hour for labor...

ive had no bad expeirences withthem but i know several people who have gone to see their z's being tuned and people were goofing off and screwing around not really paying any attention to the car.... thats what i hear
Old 12-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by zcon
ive herd nothing but horror stories from jap trix they seem to not really give 100% to your car due to their massive flow of custoemrs and their pricing is like 120$/hour for labor...

ive had no bad expeirences withthem but i know several people who have gone to see their z's being tuned and people were goofing off and screwing around not really paying any attention to the car.... thats what i hear
Since the work has already been done, the $$$/hour doesn't matter. The quality of the work is the question. They did good work on my Z, and on the APS TT Z that runs at my track. I have no complaints, and I have heard no complaints.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:59 AM
IslandZavage

Originally Posted by zcon

I can say that everytime i been there i havent seen what your talking about all. They installed my plenum spacer and i bought a few parts from them for my FI setup w/o any probs what so ever. Did a few dyno pulls there too and went to a BBQ event and had a great time.. I cant even begin to imagine Gus or Roger(x2) goofing off. Completely not in their character, i call B/S on that.... thats what i KNOW
Old 12-25-2007, 11:17 AM
DXB350Z

thanks guys...i really appreciate the input...drove the car again today and i am falling in love more with it everytime i see it and ride in it.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:35 PM
zcon
Banned

i found it odd too because both of them are real stand up fellows. ive just herd from like 3 people
Old 12-25-2007, 12:43 PM
DXB350Z

hmm...are they vendors on this site?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:44 PM
IslandZavage

yes they are Vendors on the site..

Quick Reply: Japtrix APS TT in Dubai