Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Headers on turbonetics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:41 AM
smxtmpr34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers on turbonetics?

Hey guys im looking to put a turbonetics kit on in the near future. Im wondering if my headers will be more of a problem than help with the install and performance of the kit.. and if i were to get a kit for the non revup for my revup how much changing is nessary..... Thanks

Last edited by smxtmpr34; 03-18-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:56 AM
invazn

Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol you have a lot to learn
Old 03-18-2008, 08:26 AM
smxtmpr34

i know i do. ive never delt with a turbo car before let alone putting one on a car that doesnt come with one
Old 03-18-2008, 08:29 AM
taurran

Take them off and put the stock manifolds back on.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 AM
smxtmpr34

Im starting the think my bad luck with all the exhaust fitment ive been having that past year is being caused by the headers not being exactly like stock. My Y pipe right now had to be forced up over the brace to get the mid pipe to fit and is now pushing down on the brace.... im not sure what the deal is but i deff dont want any turbo piping to be under that much stress...
Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by smxtmpr34
Im starting the think my bad luck with all the exhaust fitment ive been having that past year is being caused by the headers not being exactly like stock. My Y pipe right now had to be forced up over the brace to get the mid pipe to fit and is now pushing down on the brace.... im not sure what the deal is but i deff dont want any turbo piping to be under that much stress...
Strup headers?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:36 AM
smxtmpr34

megan
Old 03-18-2008, 09:12 AM
BBS
Banned

Hey guys im looking to put a turbonetics kit on in the near future. Im wondering if my headers will be more of a problem than help with the install and performance of the kit.. and if i were to get a kit for the non revup for my revup how much changing is nessary..... Thanks
open hood.

insert head.

close hood.

Cheers,
Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,270 Likes on 1,017 Posts

To all you guys being asshats... do you actually know anything about the T-Netics kits? The kit doesn't come with manifolds, unlike most kits. Most turbo kits, headers would be a complete waste because they get replaced by the turbo manifolds that come in the kit. The T-Netics kit reuses the stock manifolds.

"Smxtmpr34", since you already bought headers, and the Z manifolds aren't heavy cast iron, normally I'd suggest wrapping them in fiberglass header wrap to retain heat (heat spools the turbo, not exhaust velocity), rather than re-installing the stock manifolds. However, I wouldn't trust Megan headers to take that kind of heat without cracking. Plus, it seems you're having fitment issues. In your case, I'd suggest swapping back to stock when you install the kit.

As for the other part of your question... The T-Netics kit relies on a re-flashed ECU for tuning. You therefore can't use a non-Rev-Up kit on a Rev-up car. You could get a tuner kit without the tuning and tune it yourself with either a UTEC of Hal-Tech. With this route, you'd still have to deal with making a new downpipe to go around the steering rack, if your car is an '06. The '06 rack is different than the earlier rack.

Attn asshats... this is the proper way to respond to a technical question. If you need any further tutoring on forum etiquette, PM me.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Zridder19

Old 03-18-2008, 11:28 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by i8acobra
To all you guys being asshats... do you actually know anything about the T-Netics kits? The kit doesn't come with manifolds, unlike most kits. Most turbo kits, headers would be a complete waste because they get replaced by the turbo manifolds that come in the kit. The T-Netics kit reuses the stock manifolds.

"Smxtmpr34", since you already bought headers, and the Z manifolds aren't heavy cast iron, normally I'd suggest wrapping them in fiberglass header wrap to retain heat (heat spools the turbo, not exhaust velocity), rather than re-installing the stock manifolds. However, I wouldn't trust Megan headers to take that kind of heat without cracking. Plus, it seems you're having fitment issues. In your case, I'd suggest swapping back to stock when you install the kit.

As for the other part of your question... The T-Netics kit relies on a re-flashed ECU for tuning. You therefore can't use a non-Rev-Up kit on a Rev-up car. You could get a tuner kit without the tuning and tune it yourself with either a UTEC of Hal-Tech. With this route, you'd still have to deal with making a new downpipe to go around the steering rack, if your car is an '06. The '06 rack is different than the earlier rack.

Attn asshats... this is the proper way to respond to a technical question. If you need any further tutoring on forum etiquette, PM me.

You're wrong on the header issue.

The turbonetics kit should not be run with aftermarket manifolds. Trying to install it with them will require putting a dent in the downpipe, reducing its efficiency, and will make both the headers and the manifolds contact the frame and/or each other. This will give you rough operation and most likely cause failure of the v-band clamps due to misalignment and evenutally exhaust leaks.

How do I know this? Because I was the first person to install this kit with headers, and eventually went back to stock manifolds after increased lag, rattles, and exhaust leaks. The factory manifolds have already proven to flow well enough for about 700whp. There is no upside to it.

As far as the 06 downpipe, yes, the difference is in how its routed around the steering rack. I wouldn't suggest buying a non-revup kit for a revup car because of this. The reason he was asking this question is obviously because he's wanting a used kit. The reflash is not included when someone buys a used kit so this doesn't matter anyway. He'll have to buy a tunable EMS.

And, as far as people being asshats, I'm sure most of them are sick of answering the same questions time and time again. People never seem to get it that headers don't work, and they will even go so far as to argue that they do just becuase they don't want to remove an old mod they wasted money on. It's not worth the time to argue, really. I'm personally getting a bit tired of trying to persuade people to install their stock manifolds. I'd almost rather them just try the aftermarket manifolds and live to regret it as I had.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:34 AM
smxtmpr34

Thank you, I try to make it as plain and simple as I can without looking like a dip**** so I don't get the dumb responses, but people always feel the need to bash on other people b/c they think they know more.

Other than that the headers have been through a few track days where I had other exhaut parts fail, but the headers held up. As for the tune I knew I was going to have to get some sort of ems.

Also does tnetics actually make the adjustments nessary for an 06? Because on the site it has a separate packge for 05and06 but I talked to a kid who spoke to them and they just told him that the shop he was going to would MAKE it fit....
Old 03-18-2008, 11:48 AM
smxtmpr34

as for the headers taurran I'll swap them back, I didn't like the quality of them from the start, I have a friend anyway looking for a pair.

Sorry if I post threads that have already been answered, I'm just looking for the best and most accurate info, plus I'm brand new to tv turbo and car scene and don't wanna **** money away or live with headaches,
Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

yeah the power stearing rack is a bit different.... you just need to do some modifications on the DP to get it to fit
Old 03-18-2008, 12:02 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

megan
yea that wasn't the brightest idea, you wasted your money on those headers. put the stock manifolds back on.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:06 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** on a girl... No way
Old 03-18-2008, 12:12 PM
saberphx

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
yeah the power stearing rack is a bit different.... you just need to do some modifications on the DP to get it to fit
Correct me if im wrong, but I believe the charge pipe has to be modified, not the downpipe?
I bought a used TN kid off a guy who had it on an 06'
the only thing he did was cut up the charge pipe to get it to fit.
(Thats the only modding done to any of the hot or cold piping.)
Old 03-18-2008, 01:36 PM
KAZ350Z

Originally Posted by i8acobra
normally I'd suggest wrapping them in fiberglass header wrap to retain heat (heat spools the turbo, not exhaust velocity.
HEAT SPOOLS THE TURBO!?! Please explain
Old 03-18-2008, 04:17 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by KAZ350Z
HEAT SPOOLS THE TURBO!?! Please explain
To put it simply, he is correct.

Quick Reply: Headers on turbonetics?