Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Twin Turbo Build is Under Way

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:22 PM
gorillagoggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build! I don't think you really missed anything performance wise lol.
Let me know how you the wiseco pistions work cause I'm going to be looking
at the wiseco/eagle set-up for my Z when I order in my APS TT. Keep
everything coming this entertains my boring day at school/work!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice build....I did it all at once too. Ain't it fun? lol.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:37 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Old School
Nice build....I did it all at once too. Ain't it fun? lol.
Lot's of fun. I've been struggling to hold back during break in...
Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by gorillagoggles
Awesome build! I don't think you really missed anything performance wise lol.
Let me know how you the wiseco pistions work cause I'm going to be looking
at the wiseco/eagle set-up for my Z when I order in my APS TT. Keep
everything coming this entertains my boring day at school/work!

The Wiseco pistons/Eagle rods are working great. I'm still in the break-in period, but so far, so good.

Be sure to get the ceramic/moly coating option on the Wisecos:

http://www.importpartspro.com/st1blon.html

For $250 it is well worth it if you will be running boost. It's my understanding that the ceramic coating helps distribute the heat better across of the top of the piston to minimize hot spots. This helps reduce the onset of detonation, which allows you to run more boost. The moly coating on the sides of the pistons helps reduce friction.

I also spent the extra $200 and got the ARP main studs.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:28 PM
gorillagoggles

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
The Wiseco pistons/Eagle rods are working great. I'm still in the break-in period, but so far, so good.

Be sure to get the ceramic/moly coating option on the Wisecos:

http://www.importpartspro.com/st1blon.html

For $250 it is well worth it if you will be running boost. It's my understanding that the ceramic coating helps distribute the heat better across of the top of the piston to minimize hot spots. This helps reduce the onset of detonation, which allows you to run more boost. The moly coating on the sides of the pistons helps reduce friction.

I also spent the extra $200 and got the ARP main studs.
Yeah I've looked into this slightly but sounds like a good safety MOD. Thanks
for the feedback I wish I could have as much as you, but I just want to take
the basic safety precautions with boosting for the start. Have fun with the
car, this thing is guarenteed to cause whiplash!
Old 09-24-2008, 05:12 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Right now my G35 is running very smooth with a conservative street tune for the motor break-in period. Roger at Japtrix sat next to me with his laptop and tuned it for me while I cruised under a variety of conditions. It's amazing what he can do with his laptop plugged into the HKS F-CON V Pro!!!

Again, a big thanks to both Rogers, Jack, Bala and Nate at Japtrix for the build, tune and answers to my questions, etc., Sharif, Sandy and Ryan at Forged Performance for answering all of my questions (as well as having the HKS injectors pre-machined and in stock, getting my Volks and all of the other parts I ordered), Kyle at Import Parts Pro for the short block, all of the parts I ordered from him and, again, answers to all of my questions, to Sam at GTM for re-flashing my ECU with a one day turn-around, and to Garret at HKS. The teamwork these among these people and their strive to provide outstanding customer service is nothing short of amazing. They all have been absolutely great to work with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone needs anything from any of these people/businesses, I whole-heartedly recommend all of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Japtrix/Horsepower Logic will be tuning my G on the dyno in a couple of weeks after the break-in period, and then we will see what my build really can do. I then will be trying it out at Sebring on Oct. 12. I'm excited to finally be able to get it on the track.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-24-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:29 AM
mario23

I was at Japtrix today and got to see your setup.
Everything looks great Man. You'll definitely turn some heads toolin down the street
Roger and the guys at Japtrix will take good care of you.
There's nowhere else I would take my car!!!

Have fun and see you at Sebring...
Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Fluid1

I'm shooting for over 600 hp with 93 octane (on a Mustang Dyno...), and over 650 hp with the meth injection . The limiting factor at this point looks like it will be the Greddy twins (assuming I get my hands on a Cosworth).
I think that the greddy twins can go 700 without meth, IMO.

I'm at 496whp on a conservative tune at 14psi. Stock heads, UTEC, crappy 2.35" borla TD exhaust.....
I don't see you having an issue.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:48 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by mario23
I was at Japtrix today and got to see your setup.
Everything looks great Man. You'll definitely turn some heads toolin down the street
Roger and the guys at Japtrix will take good care of you.
There's nowhere else I would take my car!!!

Have fun and see you at Sebring...
Hey Mario, it was great meeting you!! The guys at Japtrix Kick *ss. Roger jumped on my car right away!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:13 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Japtrix never fails to impress. The car is rockin also. Amazing. Read - jealous.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:56 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Just a quick update. As I noted on other threads, I fried my Clutchmasters FX600 clutch - I launched at 3k-4k rpm with 12 psi of boost. I now have a Carbonetics triple disk in there, which seems to be holding well.

When we got my car on the Mustang dyno, it was running somewhere in the low to mid 400 hp range with the conservative street tune and ?? lbs of boost. Then Roger and Jack went to work inside the F-CON.

I told them I wanted 600 hp on 93 octane (no meth yet). On the last run, they got to 584 RWHP (adjusted for temp and humidity) at around 6700 rpm and 13.5 psi of boost, but had to back off because my rear tires were spinning on the dyno (6700 rpm in the car vs 6200 rpm on the dyno). We looked at the tires and the spinning was starting to chew them up a bit, so we had to stop.

Since my redline is 7500 rpm, it looks like we should clear 600 hp once I get some rear tires on that are more suitable for the dyno. The Toyo R888s grip dry pavement great, but do not do well in the rain (as I found out at Sebring a day later), nor on the dyno. Also, since we were only at 13.5 psi, we should have room to add more boost. If and when the Cosworth intake plenum comes in, that should also help.

Hey Jack, if you get a chance please post my dyno results in this thread.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 10-25-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Just a quick update. As I noted on other threads, I fried my Clutchmasters FX600 clutch - I launched at 3k-4k rpm with 12 psi of boost. I now have a Carbonetics triple disk in there, which seems to be holding well.

When we got my car on the Mustang dyno, it was running somewhere in the low to mid 400 hp range with the conservative street tune and 10 lbs of boost. Then Roger and Jack went to work inside the F-CON.

I told them I wanted 600 hp on 93 octane (no meth yet). On the last run, they got to 584 RWHP (adjusted for temp and humidity) at around 6700 rpm and 13.5 psi of boost, but had to back off because my rear tires were spinning on the dyno (6700 rpm in the car vs 6200 rpm on the dyno). We looked at the tires and the spinning was starting to chew them up a bit, so we had to stop.

Since my redline is 7500 rpm, it looks like we should clear 600 hp once I get some rear tires on that are more suitable for the dyno. The Toyo R888s grip dry pavement great, but do not do well in the rain (as I found out at Sebring a day later), nor on the dyno. Also, since we were only at 13.5 psi, we should have room to add more boost. If and when the Cosworth intake plenum comes in, that should also help.

Hey Jack, if you get a chance please post my dyno results in this thread.

how did it go from low to mid 400s to 584 on just 3.5 psi more? Do you happen to have just the non corrected numbers
Old 10-25-2008, 06:47 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by Blackbird CPV35
how did it go from low to mid 400s to 584 on just 3.5 psi more? Do you happen to have just the non corrected numbers
We had a very conservative tune during the breakin period. It was running a little on the rich side, and the timing was conservative. Also, Jack may have done the first run with the boost set even lower than 10. I'll have to ask him. Maybe he had it set to 8??? When I get the specifics I'll update the thread.

edit: Now that I think about it, I'll bet the first set of numbers were uncorrected, and the second set of numbers are corrected. Again, I'll check with Jack.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 10-25-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:58 PM
BoostCrzy

This was Terry's car with some decent timing....initially the timing was VERY conservative....gains were huge as the curve got more aggressive....this car is living it up...LOL...should see some really good numbers with some more boost!

-Jack
Old 10-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice. I'm in for Dynojet numbers. I'll even offer a couple free pulls on 14 psi if you would like
Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 PM
wannabuy350z

Originally Posted by BoostCrzy

This was Terry's car with some decent timing....initially the timing was VERY conservative....gains were huge as the curve got more aggressive....this car is living it up...LOL...should see some really good numbers with some more boost!

-Jack
that is a very nice power band,
Old 10-31-2008, 04:31 AM
captj3

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
nice. I'm in for Dynojet numbers. I'll even offer a couple free pulls on 14 psi if you would like
You've got to be kidding.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:39 AM
captj3

ttg35fort congrats on your new numbers the power band looks great. Maybe we will run into each other up at the shop. When do you go back to finish?
Old 11-02-2008, 10:59 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by captj3
ttg35fort congrats on your new numbers the power band looks great. Maybe we will run into each other up at the shop. When do you go back to finish?
It's there now. Roger put in the SPR triple pump hangar and a JWT oil pan spacer.

On Tuesday I am going down there to do some wiring with Roger. We are going to wire the Coolingmist Smart Injection unit to the F-CON to trigger the F-CON to automatically switch fuel/ignition maps when the Meth system is turned on. It will also automatically revert back to the original map and shut off the boost controller if something goes wrong with the meth system (e.g. tank runs dry or the meth flow falls below a pre-determined flow rate).

I'll have back in there again in December, assuming my Cosworth intake plenum shows up then.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:04 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
Gladly, so long as you suitably compensate me for my time at my standard billing rate.

Quick Reply: My Twin Turbo Build is Under Way