Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Fuel return

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 05:46 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel return

I decided to build my own fuel return system and have a few questions. Through searching I found this page: http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/fuel_pump_install/

It is informative and it is what I had in mind.

Now to the qestion. I found this picture:

http://zchickz.com/fuel16.jpg

Where does the line go to from the bulk head? Back to the fuel pump? This is the only thing that I can't figure out, everything else is very simple. I will have a full DIY thread on a fuel return, so look for it in the future.

Also, what is the best place to get the fuel rail adapters?

EDIT: After looking at some FRS pics in the AAM manual, it looks like the return line goes straight back to the fuel pump. Is this correct?

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 03-13-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup it does
Old 03-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Blck350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

next to mounting the turbo's on the manifolds while still in the engine bay, running the return line from under the car to the top of the fuel tank was the most FUN!!!!!
Old 03-14-2009, 04:33 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eltness350
yup it does
don't be mean!
Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the return line should most likely be used to operate your siphon jet when the fuel returns to the tank.
this is where you are going to run into problems on a DIY setup. most of the companies who make these fuel return kits include a machined adapter to connect the fuel return line to the siphon jet so that you can still pull fuel from the driver side saddle
Old 03-14-2009, 06:25 AM
BoostedProbe

QuadCam:

Thank you for the constructive input. I have a lathe at work (and love to play with it) so I can machine my own part. Looks like I have to do some more research on how everything on the fuel pump basket operates.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:30 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting. that how-to link you posted has the fuel returning to the non-fuel pump side. completely different than that 2nd pic you posted where the fuel is returning to the fuel pump side.

2 different setups, thats why they pics dont match up.

ya running the fuel line from the tank to under the car is a HUGE hassle.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:49 AM
BoostedProbe

Yes this: http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/fuel_pump_install/ link doesn make much sense. The stck FPR is taken out and replaced with a plug?

I am going to the garage to take the pump basket out, and hopefully things make more sense.

As far as installing goes, I am not worried about it. If I can build a complete turbo kit, a FRS should not give me much trouble.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:07 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that link makes sense. its returning fuel to the other side of the tank. prolly doesnt matter which side it returns to. You would use that solid regulator/ or the holllowed out one included in like the CJ kit, since fuel pressure is controlled by the aeromotive FPR in the engine bay.

fabbing a RFS is simple, running a 1" diameter braided line thru a 3/4" wide slot is the fun part.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:16 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your fuel rail adapters: http://www.cj-motorsports.com/catflaf.htm

that will bolt to the back of each rail.

the long how to you posted is super old school and out dated, that is before there were fully functional return systems available.

reference this for all the modification you make to the fuel pump housing:
http://www.cj-motorsports.com/342install.htm

and also reference this: http://www.cj-motorsports.com/s1install.htm
part 2: fuel pump modification and installation - this will show you how to properly convert the assembly for return fuel. now its based on using the CJM return fuel correction kit, which is included in all the fuel systems... but if you have the ability to lathe your own part, then from looking at this you should be able to tell what is going on and contruct it yourself.

http://www.cj-motorsports.com/catrck.htm

between all those links, all the info you need should be there!

good luck.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:23 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

to simply convert to a RFS with stock rails, there is really nothing to it. You can just use the adapter i linked on the back of the driver side rail, run a small -6 line to a regulator, run a -6 line to the fuel pump assembly, and then into the return correction kit that you can either purchase or make. very simple!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:42 AM
BoostedProbe

phunk: Thank you very much, you have saved my day. The link I posted is indeed old, I think it dates to early 2004.

Rally apreciate the links to cj.motorsports, I was acutally looking to buy that part/hose/adapter that goes in the tank, but thought if need be I can make it. For $75 I won't bother making it, I just hope you ship to Canada.

PM me with a price for 2 shipped.

Thanks again.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 03-14-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:59 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

we are actually machining the regulator replacement plugs as i type this! we had ran out of them this week. they will be at the anodizer on monday and ready to go a couple days after that. unanodized could ship immediately if you were in a rush.

canada is no problem, i would probably use USPS for that, or whatever it is you requested/works best should you decide to purchase something.

feel free to contact me any time for parts or DIY assistence.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:43 AM
BoostedProbe

You have a PM
Old 03-14-2009, 11:01 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Charles sent several things to South Korea to save my @$$, so Canada shouldn't be a problem!

Why bother hassling with fuel return system when there are several very good products on the market for a great price?? Just order everything from CJM. Less headache...
Old 03-14-2009, 11:05 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by leeboyNY

Why bother hassling with fuel return system when there are several very good products on the market for a great price?? Just

Why not? People said the same thing when I set out to build my own turbo kit. On the turbo kit I saved about $3000, maybe that money could be put towards a short block..same thing with the fuel return. If I can build it myself for about $250, I save $250.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:37 PM
accordfreak

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
Why not? People said the same thing when I set out to build my own turbo kit. On the turbo kit I saved about $3000, maybe that money could be put towards a short block..same thing with the fuel return. If I can build it myself for about $250, I save $250.
if only more people thought like you, there would be more good diy info in this forum. keep up the good work! let us know how the DIY RFS works
Old 03-15-2009, 03:17 PM
BoostedProbe

Something else that has been bugging me with regards to the stock fuel dampers. After some research I now know what they are and what the purpose is.

When they (fuel dampers) are removed while installing a FRS, I am assuming that the FPR takes care of the the "shock absobing" in the fuel system, retaining smooth flow.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:06 PM
JonnyC

Great, now I'm considering going with CJM's Stage 0 for some added safety. Thanks a lot Boosted
Old 03-15-2009, 07:14 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

dampers are typically prevalent in returnless cars... i have seen some dampers in oem return systems... but in years and years of application after application running without dampers, it doesnt seem to cause any noticable disadvantage.

if you for some reason encounter pressure chatter, you can easily add some aftermarket dampers that are available with AN style fittings on it... but you would be in a very small club, and probably the founder around these parts.

i am not sure if the regulators we use are considered to to be a damper also.. but i do have several hundred customers and no one has reported issues with chattering pressure, so perhaps they do!

Quick Reply: Fuel return