MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   WTF is going on with my car? (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/433195-wtf-is-going-on-with-my-car.html)

GreenGoblin 05-11-2009 12:45 PM

bring the fury.

JZurita 05-11-2009 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Glex25 (Post 7314169)
This is why I do most of my own mechanical work.

I try to avoid specialty shops like a plague if I can
because of situations like this.

Car not starting is pretty basic mechanics.
Now if it had something to do with the EMS tuning that's something different
but even turbo's are fairly basic that a competent mechanic should be able to handle.

Sorry to hear that they trying to pull the wool over your eyes:icon22:.

My experience has been that specialty shops are generally cheaper/more helpful than your local mechanic's garage, which will give you the run-around a lot worse than a shop that's dedicated to performance.

Glex25 05-11-2009 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by JZurita (Post 7314287)
My experience has been that specialty shops are generally cheaper/more helpful than your local mechanic's garage, which will give you the run-around a lot worse than a shop that's dedicated to performance.

Weird my experience has been completely the opposite.

I guess it's cause I have had the same mechanic for the last 12yrs
for when I need power tools/lift or a hand with something I can't handle.

I have tried giving local specialty shops a chance to earn my business and the more I do that
the more my belief is reinforced.

JZurita 05-11-2009 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Glex25 (Post 7314356)
Weird my experience has been completely the opposite.

I guess it's cause I have had the same mechanic for the last 12yrs
for when I need power tools/lift or a hand with something I can't handle.

I have tried giving local specialty shops a chance to earn my business and the more I do that
the more my belief is reinforced.

I shipped my car to Jeremy back when he was in Florida to get my build done. This should tell you what my feelings are about local shops. To date, no one has impressed me enough to keep me as a customer around here. I brought it to ICS as a last resort and because I didn't have to drive a long distance with the chance I'd end up stranded.

The issue I have with pretty much every mechanic garage is that they are afraid to touch my car, even for the most generic thing; I.E. alignments, oil changes, etc. It's not worth the my time or effort to deal with that.

JZurita 05-11-2009 02:34 PM

Got to the shop and they said they ordered the "wrong starter". The correct one should be here tomorrow.

The original is sitting in my truck. Care to test it out for me, Doug? :)

doug 05-11-2009 02:56 PM

wouldn't have the time... have ed test it.. he has loads of free time :D

superchargedg 05-11-2009 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by JZurita (Post 7314722)
Got to the shop and they said they ordered the "wrong starter". The correct one should be here tomorrow.

The original is sitting in my truck. Care to test it out for me, Doug? :)

Take it to any pepboys or autozone and they will check it for free.

JZurita 05-11-2009 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by doug (Post 7314792)
wouldn't have the time... have ed test it.. he has loads of free time :D

:icon17: I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in since the first page.

JZurita 05-11-2009 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by superchargedg (Post 7314879)
Take it to any pepboys or autozone and they will check it for free.

I've already gone to Autozone and the starter works. However, what ICS is saying is that for some reason it's not operating strong enough to turn the flywheel. They think it has something to do with the turbo overheating it. :dunno:

In other news, I took the opportunity to order a new starter from Autozone - $140 after they credit me the core charge. Should be here tomorrow. If in fact the starter isn't the issue, the manager is going to take back the one I purchased.

FTMFGDW :cool:

GreenGoblin 05-11-2009 05:07 PM

That is good to hear that if it is not the starter that you will be able to get you money back.

JZurita 05-11-2009 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin (Post 7315305)
That is good to hear that if it is not the starter that you will be able to get you money back.

What's also good is that I'm avoiding being ripped off by ICS.

I tell the Autozone manager about the ridiculous price ICS was going to charge me for the starter ($400) and how I'm glad I stopped by. He looks down, laughs to himself, and proceeds to tell me that ICS has an account with them, and that they probably ordered the part directly from Autozone.

:icon22:

03Tour6Spd 05-11-2009 05:46 PM

I have no business in F/I lol but I was just browsing and came across this thread.

A few questions J. You said it made a buzzing noise? I am guessing it sounded a really fast ticking noise which is your starter solenoid engaging but starter not turning over which means it does not have enough power going to it Or as they say high temps by the exhaust could also cause a starter to act funky.

But looking at symptoms leading up to this it sounds like your alternator could have slowly been kicking the bucket. Low voltage can cause strange things to happen.

Just ranting with nothing to do tonight :icon17:. Good Luck.

JZurita 05-11-2009 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by 03Tour6Spd (Post 7315440)
I have no business in F/I lol but I was just browsing and came across this thread.

A few questions J. You said it made a buzzing noise? I am guessing it sounded a really fast ticking noise which is your starter solenoid engaging but starter not turning over which means it does not have enough power going to it Or as they say high temps by the exhaust could also cause a starter to act funky.

But looking at symptoms leading up to this it sounds like your alternator could have slowly been kicking the bucket. Low voltage can cause strange things to happen.

Just ranting with nothing to do tonight :icon17:. Good Luck.

Thanks man. The buzzing was the starter spinning and not catching the flywheel. What I'm thinking is maybe it wasn't coming out far enough to reach the flywheel.

03Tour6Spd 05-11-2009 06:39 PM

Well the starter has 2 steps. The solenoid pushing out and lining up with the ring, and the starter itself spinning. Without enough power to the starter you get a very loud clicking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIAk2rHOtbw . If it were spinning you would get a different noise.

JZurita 05-12-2009 05:55 AM

Spoke to the mechanic today and he talked me into going with the OEM starter.

It's more expensive, but whatever. A little peace of mind wouldn't hurt right about now, especially with HIN right around the corner.

No way I'm paying $400 though.

doug 05-12-2009 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by JZurita (Post 7317172)
Spoke to the mechanic today and he talked me into going with the OEM starter.

It's more expensive, but whatever. A little peace of mind wouldn't hurt right about now, especially with HIN right around the corner.

No way I'm paying $400 though.

I might be able to get it cheaper, but time is against me right now.. i wouldn't be able to get it to you till sat

JZurita 05-12-2009 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by doug (Post 7317215)
I might be able to get it cheaper, but time is against me right now.. i wouldn't be able to get it to you till sat

That's okay man, thanks. I'm not paying a dime over $330 considering that's what the dealer quoted me yesterday.

Glex25 05-12-2009 06:41 AM

http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/inde...layCatalogid=0

Starter = $228

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_sear...utton=Go&cat=1

Starter= $271

JZurita 05-12-2009 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by 03Tour6Spd (Post 7315659)
Well the starter has 2 steps. The solenoid pushing out and lining up with the ring, and the starter itself spinning. Without enough power to the starter you get a very loud clicking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIAk2rHOtbw . If it were spinning you would get a different noise.

Yeah, it definitely didn't sound like that. It was more of a buzzing, kind of like a small motor running, i.e. the starter spinning.

Again, I had it tested at Autozone and it worked. I'm guessing the problem is the solenoid not coming out far enough to reach the flywheel.

JZurita 05-12-2009 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Glex25 (Post 7317295)

The problem is that HIN is on Saturday, my car is already sitting at ICS, and we need to get the car running before we can even take a look at the boosting issue. I'd love to save the most money i can, but time is against me.