Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: N/A or FI?
Go Natural Aspiration
40.00%
Go Forced Induction
60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Should I go F/I or N/A tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003 | 02:47 PM
Jergens

Default Should I go F/I or N/A tuning

Hey guys. Well in a mere year there are already so many parts out for this car, my head is spinning. I'm not used to so many choices. And with the recent posts about the sucess of N/A tuning on the 350, I am torn. My original instinct was "Japanese car, Force Induction tuning." But now I am not positive. Also I am rather low in my level of tuning knowledge. I would say I am better than most, I understand the mechanics of an engine relatively well, but a lot of the jargon used I do not fully understand.

I have two questions. First off, just based on your initial feelings are you more impartial to going the F/I or N/A route.

The second. Is it possible to blend a combination of the two? Polishing the engine, so that you can run a turbo at lower boost with the same HP gains... possible? More or less reliable? If someone is willing to impart a good deal of knowledge I am certainly open to setting up Email or IM communication. I'd like to map this whole thing out before I start doing the work, unlike my previous car which I pieced together bit by bit, which led to a much slower process.

~Josh
Old 09-25-2003 | 03:11 PM
ponykiller

Turbocharging is expensive, and time consuming to get right. READ about turboing a motor before you start. I believe the book you want is by Corky Bell. Someone else on here will know.

If these 300+ NA motors are validated, and I believe they will be, that is what I would recommend. Much less in the department of headaches.

You could run a turbo at lower boost numbers (you would probably just use smaller turbos), but if you are going to go to all the trouble of turbocharing it, I would say go with the bigger turbos and just keep the boost turned down (with the wastegates and boost controller) until you are comfortable with what you have and are confident in the tuning. Then turn up the boost a little and enjoy!