Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Powerlab Install Complete

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:49 PM
gotagetmyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
why do you want a retune with meth? Can't you hit 400 HP without it? Anything more than that, your rods are on borrowed time. Meth doesnt change the strength of the rods.
Two reasons really, I like to buy things I want ahead of time for when it comes time to build my block and just want to boost safer for the mean time. There are a lot of things that can go wrong but this is just added security. If I have this all wrong, please advice.

DRock
Old 08-06-2009, 07:51 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gotagetmyZ
Two reasons really, I like to buy things I want ahead of time for when it comes time to build my block and just want to boost safer for the mean time. There are a lot of things that can go wrong but this is just added security. If I have this all wrong, please advice.

DRock
Furthermore, why would you not go meth? Anything to reduce heat levels sounds like a good idea to me...
Old 08-07-2009, 03:14 AM
ax6_g35

Originally Posted by gotagetmyZ

DRock
Do you already have a bigger radiator or Oil Cooler? str8dum1 is probably warning you before hand. Your saying you want to hit 400whp, but what about the your wheel torque? Thats whats really going to hurt your rods the most, but also depends on the tune and driver. (daily driver and weekend)

Last edited by ax6_g35; 08-07-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

at only 400 hp, your AITs should not even be effecting tuning on that huge IC. On a built motor, the turbo will be limiting factor there and you'll need race gas to string it out at 20+psi anyhow.

Its your money, not saying its a waste as I run a meth kit as well, just know why you are buying it and what other limiting factors are involved. Theres just no reason to buy it to run more HP (which how your initial post read).
Old 08-07-2009, 06:03 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

^^^ +1...id save the money on retuning for meth and add more other extras for when he builds his block, its security, then just keep the pump fuel tune and run the meth as added security..but you dont have to tune it with it.....i guess you can always have a second map that goes1 psi more and runs a bit more lean with meth, but its stock block... id get some other stuff with it at this point

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 08-07-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:05 PM
gotagetmyZ

Originally Posted by ATX350
Furthermore, why would you not go meth? Anything to reduce heat levels sounds like a good idea to me...
Thats the main concern for me. Its too damn hot and humid down here (lowest part of Texas).

Originally Posted by ax6_g35
Do you already have a bigger radiator or Oil Cooler? str8dum1 is probably warning you before hand. Your saying you want to hit 400whp, but what about the your wheel torque? Thats whats really going to hurt your rods the most, but also depends on the tune and driver. (daily driver and weekend)
I do have a bigger radiator but on stock oil cooler. Actually I'm already a bit above 400 whp. Torque... your right.... that breaks things. This is just a one two day a week car to get my adrenaline fix

Originally Posted by str8dum1
at only 400 hp, your AITs should not even be effecting tuning on that huge IC. On a built motor, the turbo will be limiting factor there and you'll need race gas to string it out at 20+psi anyhow.

Its your money, not saying its a waste as I run a meth kit as well, just know why you are buying it and what other limiting factors are involved. Theres just no reason to buy it to run more HP (which how your initial post read).
Not 100% sure but I don't think I mentioned that I wanted more hp but just a re-tune. (Theres a long story behind this) I've been concerned with my tune to begin with and want to re-tune anyways so why not with a new mod to make it worth my while.

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
^^^ +1...id save the money on retuning for meth and add more other extras for when he builds his block, its security, then just keep the pump fuel tune and run the meth as added security..but you dont have to tune it with it.....i guess you can always have a second map that goes1 psi more and runs a bit more lean with meth, but its stock block... id get some other stuff with it at this point
Thanks, I will reconsider as to where to direct my money a bit more. I still need to re-tune I think. I'll find out soon once JT analyzes my tune. If he truly believes I need a retune, then, I will. I'll decide then whether to do it on meth or not.
Thruthfully, I was thinking of having a 8 & 9lb map on meth on top of my 8-9 lb map without meth(maps I'm concerned about). Hate for the engine to go but am aware of the consequences.

Thanks to everyone for their input. It is greatly appreciated. Now its time to do some searching on builds. What direction to take?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:18 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, installed yourself!!
I wish I trusted myself enough to do that!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:49 PM
ATX350

Way to thread jack Dave!!! haha, j/k learning a lot so far.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:44 AM
gotagetmyZ

Originally Posted by ATX350
Way to thread jack Dave!!! haha, j/k learning a lot so far.
I was waiting for you to say that!!!! hahaahah Probably be heading out to Austin for Alex's build tuning sometime in Sept. I'll hit you up when passing by SA. Maybe we can meet up somewhere for lunch or dinner or the night scene...... To Meth or Not To Meth?????
Old 08-09-2009, 03:06 AM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DAYUM doing it big, I miss my turbo Congrats Eric
Old 08-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Blackheart

damn. I want to check out your ride eric. Maybe next time your in houston
Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 PM
ATX350

Originally Posted by Blackheart
damn. I want to check out your ride eric. Maybe next time your in houston
Who is this? lol
Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Blackheart

its albert. lol I figured you wouldnt remember me. I sent you a pm like a days before you took your ride to jtran. I was gonna be there at jtran studios to get some work on my car and see your ride get done but things came up.
congrats on getting this powerlab turbo kit!

Last edited by Blackheart; 08-17-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 PM
ATX350

Originally Posted by Blackheart
its albert. lol I figured you wouldnt remember me. I sent you a pm like a days before you took your ride to jtran. I was gonna be there at jtran studios to get some work on my car and see your ride get done but things came up.
congrats on getting this powerlab turbo kit!
Ahh gotcha, I knew the username looked familiar. Give me a holler anytime you're in San Antonio and I'd be happy to give you a looksy.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:52 PM
UMW350Z

stock oil cooler? WHERE?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:42 PM
txshldm
B8BB8B88

looks and sounds good man!!
Old 08-20-2009, 02:52 AM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Updates?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

post up the dyno sheet eric!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang!!! I've been waiting for the end of the build!!
Sounds great, and those are some awesome numbers!
I want the same exact set up but with around 400whp.
If you don't mind, could you PM me the price you paid for the kit (including all parts)?
I'd appreciate it, Thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 10:38 PM
ATX350

Been lazy and haven't posted up the dyno sheet but I'll get on that tomorrow. The car is running strong so far but reliability is always on my mind. Gotta get rid of this annoying UTEC soon however. Its so embarrassing to spend so much money on a car to only sit there and crank the engine over for 5 minutes on a warm motor. Note to others, if you want an exhuast that makes a statement then go with the Altered Atmosphere single 3" O M G does this thing ROAR!!

Updates to come...

Quick Reply: Powerlab Install Complete