Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Road and Track Article...Stillen Supercharged 350Z vs Motorex All Motor 350Z.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 01:00 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's their business model. They're quick to release a product without working out the bugs... then they use the consumers as their R&D animals. I believe thats the sole reason that their name has been so tarnished lately.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:16 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I have heard the same about other manufactures of after market products, some, direct competitors of Stillen. This is why I am stressing so much the issues of them backing what they sell. When a SC or TT fails in some way, the cheapest part of the fix may be that component. The expensive part is the internals and labor.

All of us as consumers must keep sharing information relative to the performance, durability of these products as well as service by manufacture and installers.

Our motors are not cheap. It is better to know ahead of time that a product has problems rather than trying to get compensated after engine failure on our cars.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:19 PM
aki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i read that article and was intrigued with the motorex's tire size/choice. i spend more time/effort trying to corner/brake at the limit and i think the z is limited by tire size, esp in front. i want 18" wheels since there are bumps big enough to imprint my tire sidewall on the rim - heck, my wipers turned on when i hit it i figure the extra sidewall height will do me well.

the motorex sizing is off from the stock 18" wheels for rolling diameter. then i realized that they're spot on (rear anyway) for the stock 17" tires.

so, my questions:
1 - is there any speedo adjustment between 17" and 18" wheels? speedo drive gear, etc. i'd like to have accurate speedo readings.
2 - what size wheels (width, offset) does the motorex use?
3 - any need for rolling fenders etc. with a 275 front tire.

can't find this stuff online and i've been looking for a while.

any help appreciated
aki

re: on jwt motorex i think the light flywheel and smaller wheels (18" vs 19") make a difference in acceleration (lower moment of inertia - jason/nissan has a lot of stuff on the tilton flywheel, similar theory). both the brembo and stillen use 19" wheels which should slow them down during acceleration (relatively speaking). this is esp true with a car that has limited traction off the line. in an AWD car, you could use a heavier flywheel, redline it, and dump the clutch.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:41 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The motorx results confirm my tire size choice. PM me Aki if you want a bunch of details.