Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SportZ magazine will soon be testing/comparing FI and NA 350Z's

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 08:38 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default SportZ magazine will soon be testing/comparing FI and NA 350Z's

Originally posted by Chebosto
"yeah.. December is the ATI vs. Stillen vs. PE TT show off.... fun stuff... "

Since Cheston already mentioned this somewhat on a pervious post, I'll just expand on what is scheduled this December. I made sure through Dave at SportZ magazine approved me to openly discuss this future article so not to get him upset. He sales magazines and might look at releasing information early differently than I do as a car owner.

SportZ magazine will soon be testing current SC, TT and NA 350Z’s available on the market today.

I have been working on this for months. First it was just myself, a simple consumer/350Z owner wanting to compare all the current FI products. I called up some owners of 350Z’s with SC and TT kits installed. Then, I decided that it might be good to have some of them meet together so we could all compare these cars. Next, I wrote SportZ magazine expressing the desire for most 350Z owners to see these products compared and that they were the best magazine to do this kind of article. I am glad I finally got everyone on board. Thanks to SportZ for considering my request to compare these cars. Dave at SportZ is getting everything coordinated for the December testing. I started it; SportZ magazine is taking over and getting it actually done. I just wrote a lot of e-mails and a couple of phone calls to get it started. This is a work in progress. Everything is still being coordinated thus changes might occur. I want to thank all the guys that are allowing their cars to be involved in these tests. It benefits all of us.

First of all, don’t forget, we arranged to get the Mossy NA 350Z there too for the testing in addition to the SC and TT 350Z’s. Looks like 0-60 tests, track tests of some sort, and dyno tests are being done if things go as scheduled.

So at this point, we will have the Stillen SC with the 7lb boost and intercooler pushing something like 345hp (is that the correct rated hp now?), the ATI SC rated at about 368rwhp, the Mossy Z NA pushing between 280-292rwhp, and the PE TT posted to put out about 400rwhp. Hopefully, you will see all these cars being dyno'ed on the same dyno on the same day. Regardless if the dyno is the one you might think is the best, it will be one dyno machine for all cars thus we can compare "apples to apples" between the cars hp outputs. The same goes for 0-60 times etc. One driver will be driving all the cars thus "apples to apples" type comparisons again.

I hope you guys don’t start flaming me for small details on how the tests were conducted once the article is published. I am not a professional in these matters. All I have done is try to get information that all of us would love to read about. Suggestions before the testing is done are more productive than after.

I am excited to be involved in this process. Hopefully, the data will help those Z owners debating on hp mod's so they can make better choices in which route to go in selecting hp gains for their 350Z.

I am sure Dave at SportZ magazine will listen to any suggestions you might have to improve the article. There are time and budget limitations of course so everything is a compromise but at least we are getting a comparison between existing products.

One additional suggestion I would love to see occur is adding a Vortec SC 350Z to the cars being tested. I do not know if a car could be available and if so, if there is room for another car in the test line up. I am currently trying to contact Dave at SportZ and Steve Padfield to see if this addition is feasible. The Vortec official release is Monday, 11/2/03 per Steve’s post today. Check the Vortec website for release details. Because of this late release, it was impossible to preplan the scheduling of a Vortec car in the test to my knowledge.

Now it is everyone else’s turn on the forum to add positive input if you can. Remember, this is not going to be a perfect testing environment. These cars being tested are private owned cars. They have all been modded to the owners taste thus suspensions, wheels and tires etc will differ from car to car thus those variations will affect the outcomes to some degree. I notice that in the November 2003 article by Road and Track magazine that compared various 350Z’s, those cars also had those variables as well so this just adds flavor to the test and is somewhat a standard practice for better or worse.

The article will most likely appear in next spring’s issue of SportZ magazine.

Jeff - Zland

Last edited by zland; 11-01-2003 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:43 AM
StrictlyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Sounds good JEFF!

Jeff,

Sounds like your on the right track, and have already put a lot of work into getting this set up. I look forward to seeing this article. I would love to the see VORTEC bring out there car as well. If I go to SEMA I will try talking to them about it.

Also let me know the date of the testing, I would like to try and bring my NA SportZ Project car out there as well I would like to see that MOTOREX car on the dyno too see whats going on rather then estimation.

But once again sounds like an exciting article and can't wait to here the results!

Yuichi
Old 11-02-2003, 08:47 AM
boyze

zland, thx for initiating this. Looking forward to the results. This will be my reason for subscribing to SportZ.

boyze
Old 11-02-2003, 08:49 AM
Conceyted

I just hope we have some Nitrous 350z's in this running.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:31 AM
skk100

I just picked up my Z from Stillen after installing the intercooler and pumping the boost to 7 pounds. THey dynoed it for me as well as compared my dyno to an ATI dyno. My car is dynoing at 336 rwhp and 298 torque. The ATI they tested has 15 more rwhp (above 6000 rpm). The difference being my torque curve gives the Stillen a 60 ft Ilbs advantage from launch and the ATI doesnt catch up until above 5500 rpm. It should be an intersting test and I am sure we are all anxious to see the results.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:18 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by Conceyted

Jeff, appreciate all your hard work in getting this together. Looking forward to seeing the results
Old 11-02-2003, 10:20 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

umnnnn sure. NAWS!!!
Old 11-02-2003, 11:03 AM
Conceyted

Obviously my post was taken the wrong way. What I was meaning to say was that I hope those n/a z's will also have some n/a z's with nitrous. If you all haven't done research yet, nitrous seems to be the most cost effective mod I have come across. Some bolt ons and nitrous compete directly with a 6 grand supercharged or7 grand tt z. Sure, you take a few more risks, but you can't tell me just because people in the fast and the furious used nitrous that noone should use nitrous now
Thanks for the flame, but I don't think I deserved that
Old 11-02-2003, 01:17 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Yuichi & Chris (Conceyted):

I just got the ball rolling but now SportZ magazine has taken over. This is their article. I am not the person deciding what tests will be done, where they will be done, and with what equipment.

I made this thread so that you guys could give input prior to testing since that input might actually improve the testing/article.

The n/a Z with nitrous would certainly bring a different option for performance to the table. I know there is a limitation to how many cars they can test being they are trying to do all tests in one day. I even suggested they can use my 350Z that has a stock motor (only mods are tires, wheels, springs) as a baseline but it looks like they might not fit it in.

I hope Dave at SportZ sees this thread on Monday and addresses your suggestions. You might want to pm him with your suggestions as well since he posts on my350z.com
Old 11-02-2003, 01:28 PM
N4Spd

thanks zland!

what's the website for the magazine and can 1 issue
be purchased at stores?

rob
Old 11-02-2003, 01:42 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Go to http://www.sportzmagazine.com/

It looks like you can order just one magazine via internet. You cannot buy them in stores.

Hey Dave, one guy might be getting a SC based on the SC challenge you got going. I am promoting this article thus benefiting the magazine so what am I getting? Please dont say something like a Nismo radiator cap!

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 11-02-2003 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:16 PM
jritoli

Sam/Skk100:

I'm looking at my dyno results for the ATI install and I had 349RWHP and 289 ft lbs Torque. When you say they dyno'd an ATI were you referring to Stillen? They should look at the results Eric Valdes had during his install of the ATI on my Z. I'm looking for December to seeing you guys out there in December. This is gonna be great !!!

Jack
Old 11-02-2003, 02:21 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

The great part about this test with SportZ is that you will both be doing a dyno on the same machine on the same date thus direct and accurate comparison between the two kits.

Last edited by zland; 11-02-2003 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
umnnnn sure. NAWS!!!
Old 11-02-2003, 02:47 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: SportZ magazine will soon be testing/comparing FI and NA 350Z's

Originally posted by zland
Originally posted by Chebosto
"yeah.. December is the ATI vs. Stillen vs. PE TT show off.... fun stuff... "

I want to thank all the guys that are allowing their cars to be involved in these tests. It benefits all of us.

Robert speaking: Thanks to you all.

I hope you guys don’t start flaming me for small details on how the tests were conducted once the article is published. I am not a professional in these matters. All I have done is try to get information that all of us would love to read about. Suggestions before the testing is done are more productive than after.

Robert speaking: This is a project in process and I second Zland's concern regarding advance details. Our subscribers should enjoy the article and the results before they are discussed on the 350Z forums. As you may recall, the exhaust shootout created some ill-will; hope we can avoid that in the future.

I am sure Dave at SportZ magazine will listen to any suggestions you might have to improve the article. There are time and budget limitations of course so everything is a compromise but at least we are getting a comparison between existing products.

Robert speaking: Yes suggestions will be welcomed. Please send them directly to Dave Bexfield at editor@sportzmagazine.com.

One additional suggestion I would love to see occur is adding a Vortec SC 350Z to the cars being tested.

Robert speaking: We will look at that.

Now it is everyone else’s turn on the forum to add positive input if you can. Remember, this is not going to be a perfect testing environment. These cars being tested are private owned cars.

Robert speaking: Roger that!

The article will most likely appear in next spring’s issue of SportZ magazine.

Robert speaking: The Spring 2004 issue will be in the mail around March 1, 2004.

Bob

Jeff - Zland [/B]
Old 11-03-2003, 09:16 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

FYI, Dave has already begun working on getting Vortec involved in the test. Both Dave and I will try to get ahold of Steve P. at Vortec to see if he can get us a car for the test.

The problem is, Steve and Vortec are focused on the SEMA show since they are releasing that SC kit there this week. Hopefully we will get ahold of him this week at some point. At this point, I have left messages for Steve but I think he is too busy to even check messages.....

Last edited by zland; 11-03-2003 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:25 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Dave and I have been exchanging e-mails this morning trying to work out details of the testing and discussing input from my350z.com posts.

One of the topics is considering a Nitrous 350z for the test. An issue Dave brought up to me is one of the test is going to be AutoX and he tells me they will not allow a car with Nitrous on that course. This might be the deciding factor if it can be included in the test or not.

Just a reminder, I am not an employee for SportZ thus I do not make the final decisions on what will be tested or published. Just as with anyone on my350z.com, I am giving suggestions to them at SportZ magazine and I appreciate they are interested in our imput. I doubt Motor trend will be asking me for input at the level they are.

SportZ magazine is a magazine for specifically Z owners. Because it is a smaller publication for a target population, they can specialize their articles and consider our needs better. I strongly suggest you give them input. The magazine and the data you get from it will be more useful if you do. Now is the time to make suggestions for this test.

Last edited by zland; 11-03-2003 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Conceyted

Dave and I have been exchanging e-mails this morning trying to work out details of the testing and discussing input from my350z.com posts.

One of the topics is considering a Nitrous 350z for the test. An issue Dave brought up to me is one of the test is going to be AutoX and he tells me they will not allow a car with Nitrous on that course. This might be the deciding factor if it can be included in the test or not.

Just a reminder, I am not an employee for SportZ thus I do not make the final decisions on what will be tested or published. Just as with anyone on my350z.com, I am giving suggestions to them at SportZ magazine and I appreciate they are interested in our imput. I doubt Motor trend will be asking me for input at the level they are.

SportZ magazine is a magazine for specifically Z owners. Because it is a smaller publication for a target population, they can specialize their articles and consider our needs better. I strongly suggest you give them input. The magazine and the data you get from it will be more useful if you do. Now is the time to make suggestions for this test.
I truly appreciate your consideration of my feedback! It makes me feel important and very pleased with sportzmagazine.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:40 AM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Without reader feedback there would be no Sport Z Magazine. My350Z and the other 350Z forums have been very good to us and we really appreciate it.

The classic Z forums were and still are with us all the way and we couldn't be more pleased.

Stand by for an important message from Sport Z this week; I think you'll like what you see.

For all of our subscribers, thank you. For those who have not subcribed yet, we look forward to welcoming you to our family someday down the road.

Bob
Old 11-03-2003, 11:55 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

can i bring my car? if so please PM me!

Quick Reply: SportZ magazine will soon be testing/comparing FI and NA 350Z's