Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The Imported Performance Story so Far...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:24 PM
ImportedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Imported Performance Story so Far...

Hey guys, a few of you know me personally, and even more know me as a merchant here on my350z. We have been in business for over a year now and I just thought I would take a couple of minutes and introduce myself a bit better here and tell you where we come from and where we are going.

We started on October 13th of 2009, I, Stephen Michael Andrews am the sole owner and mechanic and I have nearly a decade of experience when it comes to working on high performance vehicles. I have had classes, worked on methanol dragster, American V8's and Imports. By far most of my experience is in the 350Z, some of you might know me under the screen name DracoLancet04Z.

So we started out in a dorm room at the University of North Texas using start up money that I saved up from donating plasma at Bio-Life which is just off of campus. We have just been working hard ever since, had a few speed bumps along the way but nothing that I haven't been able to overcome.

Most excitingly yesterday, Nov. 19th 2010, we were honored with a check for $15,000 by The Murphy Center of Entrepreneurship at UNT. This is the result of a competition that we have been competing in since this past May. This check is going to be put towrads helping us acquire or first actual shop.

We are also responsible for many large car shows in the Great State of Texas, some of which are for charity and usually attract a few thousand participants. Such as this past event at teh American AIrlines Center in Dallas, Texas benefiting the Scottish Rite for Children Hospital.

We have been working on our shop car since July and are getting very close to having it ready for Red Line Time Attack 2011. We will be competing in the Street Class and plan on being highly competitive within that class and moving on to Modified and Super Modified in 2012 once we have a stronger motor sports division. Our mod list so far includes:

Sparco TEC Seats
Takata 4 point Harnesses
Greddy Harness Bar
KW Variant 3 Coil Overs
SPC Rear Toe Arms
SPC Front Control Arms
Rota SVN 18x9/10 Wheels (Provided generously by Wheeldude.com)
Wrapped in 255/275 Bridgestone RE-11's
StopTech 6/4 BBK

Mods to be finished before the start of the 2011 season:
PowerLab Single Turbo GT35R
AEM Meth Injection
AEM Gauges
ACT 6 Puck Clutch and Flywheel
Quaife LSD

We have many mentors, idols, and friends within the industry and I can't accurately express the level of joy that I get from working on a vehicle and being in this industry. I hope that I am able to prove myself within this industry in a positive way.

-Stephen

Last edited by ImportedPerformance; 11-20-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:25 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Pics of shop car?
Old 11-20-2010, 04:18 PM
ImportedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by viva la spam
Pics of shop car?
Those will be coming after next weekend, we have a big show in Houston and are getting some stuff finished up on the car and getting it logo'd. As soon as I get those, I will have them posted up

Edit-
You can see quite a few of our under construction pictures of the Z on our facebook page though, be sure to become a fan of IP on facebook!
Picture Page

Last edited by ImportedPerformance; 11-20-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 PM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good! Would love to see your setup and what you guys offer. I'm 3 hours away.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:14 AM
ImportedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Pictures coming soon, I just also wanted to inform everyone that Imported Performance will be a Franchise team for the 2011 Redline Time Attack Season.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:18 PM
ImportedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Ok I know everyone wanted pics of the car... those are coming soon... we are waiting on some of our sponsors stickers. How about a pic of a few of the toys that are going in the car?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 AM
ImportedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hey guys, Jake and I finished the Diff reinstall last night, just have to get fluid to put in. Monday we are dropping the trans and installing the clutch and flywheel, and preparing the to pull the motor on Tuesday for the turbo install. Here is what we have so far:

Just heard from APR, the GTC-300 Carbon Wing is now en-route to us!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:20 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Very nice!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

what exhaust u go with? looks like AAM..
Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ImportedPerformance
Hey guys, Jake and I finished the Diff reinstall last night, just have to get fluid to put in. Monday we are dropping the trans and installing the clutch and flywheel, and preparing the to pull the motor on Tuesday for the turbo install. Here is what we have so far:
Looking good but.... why wouldn't you install the clutch and flywheel when the engine is out of the car? It doesn't make much sense to install it laying on your back when the engine is coming out of the car anyway? I usually reinstall mine after I take the engine off the engine stand right before I drop it back in the engine bay

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 01-20-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:35 PM
ImportedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
Very nice!
Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
what exhaust u go with? looks like AAM..
GReddy Ti-C, we will have to make a custom mid-pipe to fit a cat in due to the Class Rules.

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Looking good but.... why wouldn't you install the clutch and flywheel when the engine is out of the car? It doesn't make much sense to install it laying on your back when the engine is coming out of the car anyway? I usually reinstall mine after I take the engine off the engine stand right before I drop it back in the engine bay

I see your confusion. The plan was to pull the motor, but unfortunately we did not receive the kit on time, so we just went ahead and stuck with the plan of installing the clutch while while we were on our backs. Sucks yes, but it is how we decided to handle the situation. Speaking of that, here are some pictures!

Plus APR came through with a wing for us that we should be installing tomorrow!

Jake holding the wing over his couch...

Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 PM
ImportedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

We didn't disappear. I apologize for the delay updates, we had some issues getting our turbo kit situation sorted out. Luckily I got a hold of Bryan over at Momentum Performance. Since then we have received our kit and we have gotten to work.

Before I post the teasers, I would like to say that this kit's quality is AMAZING. Everything is packed individually, nuts and bolts are separated by where you use them during the install, the installation guide is in full color and is step by step. Truly an amazing level of quality that we here at Imported Performance strive to match with our own work.

2nd off, this car, which is destined for Redline Time Attack THIS year, unfortunately to our situation with the previous supplier we missed the first race, is being built in a home garage by 2 *cough* outstanding *cough* mechanics. On a good note though we will be moving into a 3000 square foot facility at the end of March here in Dallas, Texas.

If you have read the start of this story, it is truly a dream come true for me and I would like to extend my heart filled Thank You to all of our customers that have brought Imported Performance to this point in the short span of a year and a half.

More pictures to follow VERY soon.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

I have huge respect for you guys as young entrepreneurs. Very commendable that you're following your passion and doing it on your own. Keep up the good work and don't quit!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:07 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

More info to the new facility in dallas?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 AM
ImportedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

The Dallas location is going to be in Flower Mound, right next to AWD Tuning. Our 3000 sq foot facility will include 1 lift for now, we have an air system for the shop, as well as office space. Due to our relationship with AWD Tuning we will have access to their Mustang dyno anytime needed. It is a partnership of sorts and will allow for us to comfortably grow and work if individuals who have been in this game for many more years that I have.

-Stephen
Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Shertown Turbo

Great news about another performance shop opening up in Dallas. Good luck with everything
Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 PM
race4it

Guys, I just read the post above about you receiving the $15K award from the Entrepreneurship Center, and I think that's incredible. I have huge respect for you for making all this happen, as well as respect for UNT/Murphy for having the vision to understand your potential in this marketplace.

To me, there's nothing more positive or exciting than a startup/entrepreneur. I have been fortunate to have been part of 8 over the years, and I know firsthand just how difficult and rewarding it is to start and build a lasting business.

I wish you the best of success, and look forward to seeing your growth.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:38 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Everything coming together nicely!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:56 PM
ImportedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Car Progress:
APR Wing Installed, Interior Stripped, Harness Bar, Seats, Harness Installed.
Stop Tech 6/4 BBK, SPC Front Control Arms, Rear Toe Arms, Sway Bars, Quaife LSD, ACT 6Puck Clutch and HD Pressure Plate Installed.

Turbo Kit Progress:
Injectors Replaced, Spark Plugs Replaced, Fuel Pump Assembly Modified, AC Lines Replaced/Moved, New Coolant Lines Ran, Inter-Cooler Mounted, Power Steering Cooler Relocated.

Preparing for:
Gauges, Exhaust Piping, Taping the Block... Well I can sum this up. Preparing to finish the car and get it on the ground again!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:47 PM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Nice progress, Stephen!

Quick Reply: The Imported Performance Story so Far...