Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Carbonetic Triple Disc Clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:59 AM
psychoballistic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbonetic Triple Disc Clutch issue

Alrigt guys, I am ripping my hair out with this one. Put a triple in and grabbed a new throwout bearing, and the clutch does not seem as if it will engage properly.

The question I have is with using the CD0009 trans, do you guys have to get a new sleeve for the throwout bearing? I'm using the stock sleeve that you put the throwout bearing in, and it seems like the throw is far enough, but it catches at the end. Not sure if the Carbonetic triple requires a different sleeve????

Thanks guys!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 AM
RED RIDER

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WHEN YOU FIGURE THIS OUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been going through the same issue! I am going to pull my tranny again soon...mine seems as if it will not disengage 100%...like its hanging at 98% I have to granny shift it for it not to grind..pisses me the hell off because I have a NEW CD009, clutch master and slave cylinders, stainless braided line etc etc.

1. installed new carb. triple disc....stock t/o bearing..ran great..a year goes by and it starts to grind...40K on the clock has me thinking that the synchros are going out...called carbonetics and they recommend a DIFFERENT T/O bearing..he gave me the part number and I ordered it...installed it and NO CHANGE!...spend the dime and install a NEW CD009.

2. Installed new tranny, used stock Nissan recommended oil and ran great for 100 miles then begins to grind again..I'm furious and cannot and still have not been able to figure it out.

I am going to pull it out again and reinstall a new original oem t?o bearing and see what the hell happens next.

clutch at rest:Name:  IMAG0334.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  61.2 KB

clutch fully engaged:Name:  IMAG0335.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  54.0 KB

oem factory vs. T/O I was told to use by Carbonetics:Name:  IMAG0242.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  114.5 KB

Another pic for reference:Name:  1-42-b8975e70-2053-47f9-b113-c59f8731d112-P1010721.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  51.6 KB

a look at the clutch forks minor wear:Name:  IMAG0244.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  73.8 KB

Still guessing about all this..like i said i'm going to put a new factory t/o bearing in and see what the hell happens next..I hope maybe something in this helps you... BTW I MIGHT have 6000 miles on this clutch...my Z is a weekend car so very little miles on it..
Old 02-27-2011, 10:32 AM
psychoballistic

Did you use a stock CD0009 throwout bearing sleeve or did you get another bearing sleeve?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:48 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like you need to adjust your clutch pedal height.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:03 PM
sleeper8942

Is anybody using a different sleeve or an adapter for the throwout bearing for this clutch?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:53 PM
psychoballistic

That's what I'm trying to figure out Paul .... I'm using the cd0009 trans with shorter pivot and cast fork... However it seems not to have enough throw still... I have the oem bearing sleeve but am wondering if there is indeed an adapter or sleeve... Nothing is said anywhere about having a different sleeve other then one post back in the day from Sharif on Jetpilots old thread. No site that sells these for the 350z's mentions a different sleeve, only the different bearing.

Tom thanks for calling earlier and sending that stuff over... Carbonetics never mentioned anything about a sleeve and I didn't think to ask... I will call them tomorrow and let you know.

Binder, what type of adjustment are you referring to exctly and how do you do it... This clutch is meant for oem spec which is what I have.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:03 PM
RED RIDER

Philip..you're welcome..I think Binder is referring to the adjustment with the clevis pin...we already talked about that...really curious to see what the outcome is....makes me wanna rip mine apart tonight....I want to see if someway, somehow I can manually "push" a t/o bearing against the clutch forks and see if I get full disengagement....without the tranny installed...
Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 AM
psychoballistic

What I don't understand is that when you look at all these vendors on here that sell these, not one mention anything about a sleeve except Sharif... I mean transmissions are transmissions, either i'm doing something wrong or there is definitely another part required, but i've been doing this a long time and the sleeve/ t/o bearing should not be getting stuck up when being engaged... Waiting to hear back from Carbonetics... Any other Do It Yourselfers that have installed these?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 AM
psychoballistic

Ok, so the Carbonetics Triple carbon disc clutch requires a different throwout bearing sleeve. Unfortunately, unless you've dug through the web meticulously or called carbonetics, it will be hard to know that their clutch requires another throwout bearing sleeve.

The two parts numbers from carbonetics are as follows:
Sleeve: 30501-U8584
Throwout bearing: 30502-14601

The guy at Carbonetics said they can be purchased from them or from your local Nissan since they are Nissan parts for other applications. Pivot and fork remain the same.

Hopefully this helps someone else out before they do an entire cltuch and have to take it all back apart.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 PM
binder

that sucks.

i was talking about the pedal adjustment inside the cabin. It can be adjusted if the clutch is depressed all the way and the clutch isn't disengaged fully. I had to adjust mine when i switched to my os giken.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:34 PM
RED RIDER

Originally Posted by psychoballistic
Ok, so the Carbonetics Triple carbon disc clutch requires a different throwout bearing sleeve. Unfortunately, unless you've dug through the web meticulously or called carbonetics, it will be hard to know that their clutch requires another throwout bearing sleeve.

The two parts numbers from carbonetics are as follows:
Sleeve: 30501-U8584
Throwout bearing: 30502-14601

The guy at Carbonetics said they can be purchased from them or from your local Nissan since they are Nissan parts for other applications. Pivot and fork remain the same.

Hopefully this helps someone else out before they do an entire cltuch and have to take it all back apart.
SOB SOB SOB...dammit I had 3-4 conversations with these guys at carbonetics and NOT ONCE did he EVER mention another sleeve...had my damn tranny out 3 times so far over this crap!!! GRRRRRRR
Old 02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
psychoballistic

I ordered the parts today... I will post up when they come in how it all worked out... I will try and show a comparison of the two sleeves side by side...

Hopefully it solves your problem too Tom, I was thinking it had to be either a sleeve or adapter... They didn't mention it to me the first time either when I called.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:12 PM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by binder
that sucks.

i was talking about the pedal adjustment inside the cabin. It can be adjusted if the clutch is depressed all the way and the clutch isn't disengaged fully. I had to adjust mine when i switched to my os giken.
Thanks Jeff, this may be something else to adjust... Another great thought if I still have any issues.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM
binder

wtf, why would they sell such an expensive clutch without all the proper parts? This is a huge fail for them.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

i have thier clutch and recieved all the extra parts u guys didnt....hmmmm weird...
Old 03-01-2011, 04:27 AM
psychoballistic

The guy at carbonetics, and two shops that I spoke to mentioned the throwout bearing but not the sleeve... Idk what the deal is, but fortunately talking to Carbonetics the second time, they were able to lead me in the right direction of the sleeve.

My friend just bought a carbonetics too and he didn't get a sleeve either but got the bearing. Maybe some do not have problems? I know Sharif sells the bearing and sleeve for around $100 from an earlier post so maybe they have seen this too. Beats me, i'm happy its figured out.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 AM
RED RIDER

[QUOTE=psychoballistic;8994039]The guy at carbonetics, and two shops that I spoke to mentioned the throwout bearing but not the sleeve... Idk what the deal is, but fortunately talking to Carbonetics the second time, they were able to lead me in the right direction of the sleeve.

My friend just bought a carbonetics too and he didn't get a sleeve either but got the bearing. Maybe some do not have problems? I know Sharif sells the bearing and sleeve for around $100 from an earlier post so maybe they have seen this too. Beats me, i'm happy its figured out.[/QUOTE

When you get your new parts will you please post up pics with measurements for your old and new parts? Really curious to see the differences!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:22 AM
psychoballistic

You got it Tom, I'll shoot a set over to your email as well as posting here for everyone. Fingers crossed now.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:19 AM
RED RIDER

Philip..any updates or pics?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:17 AM
psychoballistic

Funny story Tom, I'm in Texas right now on business, but when I get back I will update with photos... I shot you a text message as well but the difference is very noticable. Both sleeve and bearing are different, new sleeve is about a half inch taller... I will make sure to post up for others to see.

Quick Reply: Carbonetic Triple Disc Clutch issue