Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Proefi users... What's your experience been so far?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:10 AM
psychoballistic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure exactly but the dealer software is based on a key similar to the concept of a Fcon, but the entire interface is different too.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:39 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i should have mine wired in next week hopefully.

i didnt realize that the dealer software is different than the end user.

why is that?

The dealer software was written by Mototron and requires a dongle key for it to function. Unfortunately Mototron charges us about $3500 per key.... I doubt that most of the consumers would want to pay that!! That is why Jason wrote the consumer software which is free!!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:35 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

which version do the shops use to tune? is thesame functionality avialble between both?
Old 07-03-2011, 02:38 AM
MR RIZK

which version do the shops use to tune? is thesame functionality avialble between both?
You can see a glimpse of the dealer software in this vid which is quite different than the user provided software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kToek...eature=related
Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

damn, knowing that the knock sensor is already setup makes me want the proefi. Haltech is a bioch to setup all the thresholds and all that junk.

is that only on the 128 or does the 48 pin have this setup also?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:25 PM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by binder
damn, knowing that the knock sensor is already setup makes me want the proefi. Haltech is a bioch to setup all the thresholds and all that junk.

is that only on the 128 or does the 48 pin have this setup also?
The safety features in place with the proefi are par none for sure... Traction control is unlike anything I've experienced before in comparison as well, it's one thing to make power, it's another to get it down...

I'm sure most of my personal frustrations will be resolved by PFS, me being a DIY guy, I don't like having to use others to make everything work...

Assuming all my issues don't occur with someone else, I don't think you could find a better EMS unit on the market for the price IMO.

Last edited by psychoballistic; 07-03-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Damn pro-efi is boss. Useless post I know.
How many people switched over off of haltech? I think this is the only ecu option "better" than haltech for the vq35...
Old 07-05-2011, 01:21 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i think the major thing it gives is all the options of a motec(which i think everyone will agree is the best of the best lol) for about half the cost =/ i know thats why im going with it. haltech just dosnt offer as many options and features
Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 AM
MR RIZK

The vipec v88 is also a powerfull unit that IMHO sits above the haltech however there is not alot of support in the vq world for it like the haltech.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:07 AM
str8dum1

too bad Vipec hasnt gotten more involved with the VQ.

Last edited by str8dum1; 07-05-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:40 AM
djamps

too bad Vipec hasnt gotten more involved with the VQ.
+1 it looks very nice. But I would be too nervous working with a platform without community support. As a DIY'er my next ECU will probably be haltech as it seems to have the best UI and VQ community support. What good is an affordable EMS if you have to pay top dollar to have someone else tune it and be locked out of it (essentially the case for ProEFI) -- the exact reason I never, ever considered HKS.

Last edited by djamps; 07-05-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:57 AM
str8dum1

you are not locked out of the Proefi. you can adjust all the params with the user software. its all there, just not as cleanly laid out as the Haltech.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I've never used Haltech but I've found ProEFI's end user software was laid out quite well and the help PDF's that are in the software for every screen are very helpful and informative IMO...

The last time my car was on the dyno I think Jason was actually using the same user software you can download off the ProEFI website to tune the car.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 AM
djamps

you are not locked out of the Proefi. you can adjust all the params with the user software. its all there, just not as cleanly laid out as the Haltech.
Right, it's there... but the end user software apparently requires the equivalent of editing ROM files with text/hex editor for some params? I'm not interested in something with a pretty GUI for dealers and a hacked up solution for end users.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:51 AM
str8dum1

no the user software is all GUI as well...

you can download it from the proefi site.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 AM
djamps

no the user software is all GUI as well...

you can download it from the proefi site.
So even dealers have to deal with this type of stuff? Never heard of anything like this with other systems.

...the throttle tables that need to be changed are offline only tables. So I'd have to make a calibration file, merge it with the firmware file and create the .SRZ. But there is always erros coming up, so I don't want to reflash a file i'm creating in the EUS and have it lock everything where I can't even start my car again.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Some questions have answers in the FAQ:

http://www.proefi.com/FAQ_s.html

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ - Does the user software "Lock" me out of areas to prevent me from making changes?
ANS - No, the user software allowes the end user to make any and all changes to all of the calibratable options and tables. Some of the changes have to be made off line (engine not running), but are able to be changed by the end user.

FAQ - Do I have to run all of the sensors like Fuel Pressure, Exhaust back pressure, etc... for the system to work properly?
ANS - No! If you choose not to use the built in safety functions and feedback of the ProEFI, the system will assume base settings like other systems. We do highly recommend the use of a fuel pressure sensor because of the dramatically increased safety measures that are applied in a modern high performance application.

FAQ- Do I have to pay for Firmware/Software updates?
ANS- No, Firmware updates and software updates are free. If you choose to have your dealer perform the updates on your vehicle, there may be labor charges involved.

FAQ- Do I have to pay to turn on additional features of the ProEFI like traction control, or Antilag?
ANS- No! All features are released as a whole in all versions.

FAQ- I installed a previous version of the user software, and want to update to a newer version. What do I need to do?
ANS- If you ran the auto install and did not manually move files, just use the Windows Uninstall feature, then install the new software. If you manually had to move files for 64 bit OS (prior to 64 bit support), you will need to delete those files manually before proceeding.

FAQ - Where do I find the updated license for Control Core Server?
ANS - The new licenses are put on the NEWS Page of the website.

FAQ - I can't connect to the ECU with the user software, what could be wrong?
ANS - There are a couple of things that can cause this, first you need to verify with your ProEFI dealer what baud rate your version of firmware communicates at. To change this, you simply run the user software and attempt to connect. Once the software is attempting connection, press the windows key on your keyboard. On the lower right side of the task bar you will see a round blue and red icon for Control Core server, right click on this and select 'show signal explorer'. Then select the 'Server Setup' tab on the top of the window that opens. In this box you will see several possible CAN connections. The first one on the top is the current connection. Set this to the appropriate Baud rate (the default is 250k, so typically this would change to 1meg, the highest speed available.)
The other thing that can cause this is not having the appropriate .dll file for your firmware. Consult your ProEFI dealer to obtain the .dll file for your upgrade.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:44 AM
psychoballistic

When I called Pro-efi the first time to inquire about why I could not connect to my laptop, I was told to go to the website to download the necessary file by Adam. When I told him that I downloaded everything from the website, and then told him my error message as well, he said he didn't have the file. Only Jason had it at that time. What frustrated me more is that he said I should be in contact with the dealer who sold me my system (Intense power). Pete and JJ don't do the tuning, and would not know these answers, let alone if Adam @ proefi didnt have the file I needed, what made him think Intense would. I just want to be able to get into my system to make changes. Jason was very quick to get me the file I needed a few hours later.

After everything, incl. which file was missing, I was still having issues, and Jason said it is a resistance issue with the CAN Cable and Can Display. At this point, I will let Ray fix the system as to the way it should have all worked when I purchased it, and then go from there. **** happens, and I understand this, thankfully there are a few reputable shops on here that endorse the Pro-efi and are working to make it great for the community.

Reasons like this are why I feel this is not yet a system ready for end users. If I didn't have Ray @ PFS and the guys from Sound Performance who helped me when I've been in a bind, I would have ditched this already. The system and it's features do work, and they work well, but having to rely on a tuner IMO is not right if you want to do it yourself. I personally am a hands on guy, not a drop at shop and wait for a finished product. There is no argument that the entire package is not as refined as Haltec yet, but as mentioned before, if you want alot of the features similar to that of a Motec, this is the best route. With time, like anything else, I am sure it will get perfected...
Old 07-05-2011, 11:55 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoballistic
When I called Pro-efi the first time to inquire about why I could not connect to my laptop, I was told to go to the website to download the necessary file by Adam. When I told him that I downloaded everything from the website, and then told him my error message as well, he said he didn't have the file. Only Jason had it at that time. What frustrated me more is that he said I should be in contact with the dealer who sold me my system (Intense power). Pete and JJ don't do the tuning, and would not know these answers, let alone if Adam @ proefi didnt have the file I needed, what made him think Intense would. I just want to be able to get into my system to make changes. Jason was very quick to get me the file I needed a few hours later.
yeah, i think that was def an issue which if even adam didnt have the file..well, as you said he got the you file rather quickly shortly after anyways.

Originally Posted by psychoballistic
After everything, incl. which file was missing, I was still having issues, and Jason said it is a resistance issue with the CAN Cable and Can Display. At this point, I will let Ray fix the system as to the way it should have all worked when I purchased it, and then go from there. **** happens, and I understand this, thankfully there are a few reputable shops on here that endorse the Pro-efi and are working to make it great for the community.

Reasons like this are why I feel this is not yet a system ready for end users. If I didn't have Ray @ PFS and the guys from Sound Performance who helped me when I've been in a bind, I would have ditched this already. The system and it's features do work, and they work well, but having to rely on a tuner IMO is not right if you want to do it yourself. I personally am a hands on guy, not a drop at shop and wait for a finished product. There is no argument that the entire package is not as refined as Haltec yet, but as mentioned before, if you want alot of the features similar to that of a Motec, this is the best route. With time, like anything else, I am sure it will get perfected...
i think you deserve a lot of praise from tackling a lot of it yourself...I, like many of those with "stock like proefi tunes", were all tuned at a pro dealer and dont mess much with the tune...Props to SP for helping you out too.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 PM
psychoballistic

It's all a work in progress... I'm very thankful for the help from some of the big shops.

Ray has spent countless hours working through things with me, even checking in at 10-11pm on my way to zdayz.

I know it will all get resolved. For now it is just not yet there for DIY/ end users, but in time I am sure it will be.

Quick Reply: Proefi users... What's your experience been so far?