Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Need some Procharger Info for a n00b!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 12:13 PM
infidsg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Procharger Info for a n00b!!!

I will start out saying I have no major experince with major mods. Im am learning sooo much everyday by you guys. But I have a lot of questions.. I want to get supercharger/turbo but need info...

1) How much will it coast for the procharger? Including Procharger, normal install, tuning, guaging?

2) How do you select a place to get it installed? If you find a good place and they are like 3-4 hours away what happenes when your car dies? What do you look for?

Not only do I want someone to just install it but I want to know alot more then I know now about it so im not blind and taking people words for it..

1) What goes into tuning? I know you need to keep a good air/fuel ratio but how is that adjusted?

2) If a belt goes how easy is it to put a new one on? Is it a DIY?

3) Besides a boost guage what other guages do you need?

Since I have a G35 the kit comes with a 5 or 6 Lbs pully with the less boost will my car see less problems?

Besides changing oil what other maintence does it need? How often do you need to chnage the oil?

Is there any traps or extras I will need? Im saving money and getting close and need to start realy doing my homework.. I have done searchs and read all the time 3-4 times a day. But most posts are about problems or reviews..

The last thing I want is a oil volcano under my hood. So I want to be a knowledgefull as possible to prevent anything going wrong.

Thanx in advance guys!!!
Old 12-14-2003, 01:45 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

If i were you, i would buy a Vortech......my Procharger has been a lot of unneccessary headaches......poor design, poor customer service.........i'm actually wishing i would have waited for the Greddy TT
Old 12-14-2003, 02:04 PM
infidsg35

Yea im also considering it but I used the Procharger as a my choice since soo many people have them, and feel I can get a lot more info..

I consider you to be a better source on this forum can you help with the other questions?
Old 12-14-2003, 02:10 PM
12SecZ

1) How much will it coast for the procharger? Including Procharger, normal install, tuning, guaging?

5k kit, 800 install, 300 guages, 150 tuning?

2) How do you select a place to get it installed? If you find a good place and they are like 3-4 hours away what happenes when your car dies? What do you look for?

By choosing a shop that did it correctly already. An import shop that knows are engines and it's issues etc. Ask around.

Not only do I want someone to just install it but I want to know alot more then I know now about it so im not blind and taking people words for it..

By a book by Corkey Bell

1) What goes into tuning? I know you need to keep a good air/fuel ratio but how is that adjusted?

it's in the manual, read it before turning over your kit. I didn't and regret it. EGT under 800 degrees fuel under 12.5 (lower is better) they use a wideband and a dyno and hopefully an egt

Yes but the belt is 100 bucks!

EGT and A/F I like the split screed GReddy digiral, wish I had it. A wideband is optimum but man, 600+ bucks for a guage!

Since I have a G35 the kit comes with a 5 or 6 Lbs pully with the less boost will my car see less problems?

You car makes less HP than the Z in stock form so it will make less HP in bossted form. This is not a bad thing it's math.
The same cautions remain on your car as they would on the Z and the same amount of wear and tear will apply.

Besides changing oil what other maintence does it need? How often do you need to chnage the oil?

The manual says after 500 miles and then every other oil change for the blower and you get 4 bottles, you can opt for more.
As for the engine the mininum for stock or more. Treat your car like a race car after you go FI. Check your fuel lines and fittings and belts and everything under the hood daily. Don't take the power for granted, use all of the safety measures and watch your guages while driving. FI is a whole new world, it's not just jumping in and punching it like when you are N/A. It's sort of a PITA to be honest lol. But it is power and power is good.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:34 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Default Re: Need some Procharger Info for a n00b!!!

sure.....no problem

Originally posted by infidsg35
about 4900-5500 for the kit.......install and tune about 1000-1200......gauges are personal preference, but for the good ones, about $500 for a nice EGT/boost setup, or wideband O2 for $500+up

look for lots of experience with FI and imports......talk to people that have been their.......if you have a friend familiar with major mods, bring him to talk to their tuner/installer

the FMU scale is set by calibrating it to 7 pounds of boost.....from there, the sliders are moved up or down to provide the right amount of fuel for a specified range of boost

yeah....the belts aren't too big of a deal on the kit......the belt that might be a pain is the serpentine on the engine.....but it should be quite some time before one of those goes bye-bye

the manual asks for a boost and fuel pressure gauge.....most people are installing an Exhaust Gas Temp gauge, or a wideband O2 instead of those......the information they give is more about the AF

i had not heard about less boost in the G35 kit, but with less boost, there should be a lower chance of the problems that us 7lb guys have had

the oil needs changing after the first 500, and every 6000 thereafter........chnage your spark plugs every 10K, they need to be in good shape, and the coppers go bad quicker

Is there any traps or extras I will need? Im saving money and getting close and need to start realy doing my homework..
there are timing issues on the 350 kit......there may be similar issues with the G35 kit.......we're addressing these issues with either the J&S retard box, or the Technosquare ECM reflash with larger injectors.........the J & S is about 500 bucks......i think the TS+injectors is about 1300+......don't quote me on that price though.....not sure about that

Good luck with your kit.........hope this stuff helps
Old 12-14-2003, 03:42 PM
infidsg35

Thanx guys this is a real help!!! Wow I jusy read the whole Vortec post.. My head is now spinning... I might have more questions but have to eat ill be back later after i think for a lil sheeessshh that thread was long!!!