Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

VQ35 Forced Induction Longevity?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 10:39 AM
kakiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ35 Forced Induction Longevity?

Hey Guys,

I've had my 350z for a little over a year now, and I'm looking into going forced induction. I miss the feel of my old SR20DET. I know there is the procharger supercharger, Greddy Turbo kit and HKS and Vortech have superchargers in development, but my question is about the VQ engine itself. Has anyone blown one up? does anyone know of any weakspots like the rods, or rod bolts? Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Old 02-02-2004, 10:59 AM
kakiller

I did a search, sorry I should have done that first. I've read quite a few of the post about the engines blowing up. I guess I'm looking for what seems to be going out on these motors - is engine tuning going lean, or timing going advance and detonation. OR is it the stock motor can't handle boost - like the rods or pistons are weak.

I'm very set on going forced induction, I just want to figure out the weakspots - is it the engine mangement that comes with these kits that is faulty? or is it the motor that needs to be beef up first.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:11 AM
etx

If your loaded wait for the Skyline. My buddy who works for NNA said it's coming out at the end of 2005. It will have the 3.5L twin turbo built on the same frame as the G35/350z. It's basically a twin turbo Z with a different body. The project was taken over by Nissan of japan so expect some pleasant surprises. This is all word from my buddy, who has come through in the past.

To answer your question about the Z. FI on this motor is going to stress the motor and wear it quicker and in a stock form. But I am willing to bet a properly tuned greddy kit running ~6psi will last for a long time. If the motor goes out just build it up and run 15 psi. That will put a smile on your face real quick.

Last edited by etx; 02-02-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:58 AM
Sean00500

Very True ETX, very Tru indeed, Yea kakiller, im savin my pennies to get the greddy kit, but honestly, if i boost it more than 6 PSI, im replacing the pistons, rods, and cams, before i try to grow a bigger pair.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:18 AM
infidsg35

The GT-R wont be out till sometime around 2007-2008 so dont hold your breath.. I dont blame them as if they did put one out they would only be hurting there own sales on the 350z/g35 and it is way to soon to do that..
Old 02-03-2004, 09:16 AM
zimbo

Originally posted by infidsg35
The GT-R wont be out till sometime around 2007-2008 so dont hold your breath.. I dont blame them as if they did put one out they would only be hurting there own sales on the 350z/g35 and it is way to soon to do that..
Hurting their own sales? I doubt it. The sticker on the so-called Infiniti GTR is going to be somewhere on the order of $60K, I'd bet.

--Steve
Old 02-03-2004, 09:20 AM
FLY BY Z

You can't hurt your own sales by offering more than one product! There is something called self-cannibalization which means that it is better to release something that infringes, at least partially, on another one of your products than to let a competitor do it. Don't you think it is better to be your own competition than someone elses? I do. You still make the profit off either car. Who cares which one they buy, as long as it's Nissan, right?
Old 02-03-2004, 09:40 AM
azrael

they're not competing with one another at all.

350Z - $30k, 287 HP, RWD, entry level sports car.

GT-R (it won't be called a Skyline in the US, folks) - $60k (or more), ~400+ HP, VQ32DETT, ATTESSA AWD, halo car. Not affordable for 90% of us. Think of it like the NSX.

I don't see how those two compete. That would be like saying the NSX and S2000 compete with each other for Honda. I don't think so.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Sean00500

I somewhat agree with u azrael, but the thing is One, i do not believe the GTR is coming out 2005, because ive seen the concept drawings of it, and it looks hot as hel if thas the way they are going to stick with it, but, either way it will be a hot ride, and i dont think that nissan is gonna hold back when it is ready to send out the GTR, but i also dont think they are going to realease it untill they have it exactly the way the want it.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:50 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by kakiller
I did a search, sorry I should have done that first. I've read quite a few of the post about the engines blowing up. I guess I'm looking for what seems to be going out on these motors - is engine tuning going lean, or timing going advance and detonation. OR is it the stock motor can't handle boost - like the rods or pistons are weak.

I'm very set on going forced induction, I just want to figure out the weakspots - is it the engine mangement that comes with these kits that is faulty? or is it the motor that needs to be beef up first.
fix the stock advanced timing, and boosting is fine.........weak points depend on how far you want to go........the higher the boost, the more mods are needed.......7 psi needs timing retarded on the top, and possibly injectors.......8-9psi timing and definitely injectors.......10-11psi timing, injectors, and fuel pump......12+psi who knows?.......as far as i know, none of us non-corporates have done it yet.......i would think main bearing and rods would be the next to go, from what i've heard about the race cars and their problems
Old 02-03-2004, 07:51 PM
zimbo

With the many GT-R rumors that have been circulating (it's a TT, no wait, it's an 8-cylinder NA; it's a Nissan, no wait it's an Infiniti) I don't know what is fact and what is fiction. One thing I do know is that I WILL OWN ONE.

--Steve
Old 02-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Drag Limited

Originally posted by infidsg35
this is like saying the SRT-4 hurt sales of base model neons.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:07 AM
etx

People are making 500 whp on those Srt-4's with stock longblocks! :O

Sorry I did not mean to turn this into a Skyline discussion. But pushing the Z hard (lotsa boost) is going to take it's toll on the motor. Remember, nissan worked very hard to make this car 'affordable' to most people. This most likely resulted in making the Z powerful, yet keeping parts just on par with the stock output. I am afraid the days of the overbuilt nissan motors are gone.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Enron Exec

Has piston rings been a problem with FI in Nissan engines?
Old 02-06-2004, 11:33 AM
jplvr

I doubt they hold back on the release for the reasons that others have said.

On a different note: Has anyone called Toyota recently to ask about the possible "next" Supra? I remember at on time their standard line was "The Spider is our sports car" or something like that.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:12 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by etx

Sorry I did not mean to turn this into a Skyline discussion. But pushing the Z hard (lotsa boost) is going to take it's toll on the motor. Remember, nissan worked very hard to make this car 'affordable' to most people. This most likely resulted in making the Z powerful, yet keeping parts just on par with the stock output. I am afraid the days of the overbuilt nissan motors are gone.
The motors are one area where nissan has never and will never "skim off the top" on. The VQ30DE was a very strong motor and I have no reason to think that the VQ35DE with better parts will be any worse. There are plenty of BONE STOCK VQ30DE motors in Maximas putting out over 400whp in a daily driven car. The fact that nissan put 3 layer metal head gaskets in the Z's iteration of the VQ35 and only 2 layers in the Maximas and Altimas version should tell you something about what kind of strength they want the Z's motor to have.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:24 PM
etx

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
The fact that nissan put 3 layer metal head gaskets in the Z's iteration of the VQ35 and only 2 layers in the Maximas and Altimas version should tell you something about what kind of strength they want the Z's motor to have.
Yeah, and Chrysler puts 3 layer MLS headgaskets on all Neons. What's your point?
Old 02-06-2004, 10:26 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by etx
Yeah, and Chrysler puts 3 layer MLS headgaskets on all Neons. What's your point?

My point wasn't just about the headgasket...but that the strength carries over to other parts of the motor. These things will take 500whp on a daily driven car without a hiccup assuming the PROPER tuning......mark my word.

I'm just sick of all the people asking if they should "build" their motors when NOBODY in the US short of Vendors has blown up a VQ35 due to excessive power that we've heard of.