Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Need Help. Building 350z first timer.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Dloyd350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help. Building 350z first timer.

Hey people. I'm new to the 350z life. Always have loved them and finally got one. My luck I got a bad one so not starting off on the right foot with paying 7000 for one and after purchase starts blowing blue smoke. Checked PCV it was bad. Replaced and cleaned plenum but it is still blowing blue smoke. So I know it's either valve stem seals or rings. Either way I'm just going to build the motor. I said build not rebuild because I'm doing research on finding correct parts to completely forge the bottom end. Such as metal types not names. I'm also going to throw boost at it later and I need to build it for that but I'm wanting to keep it at the high 10.3 to 1 I believe it is C/R. I'm trying to find out if anyone else has done a High compression single turbo low boost of 12psi build that is also reliable. I know I'll have to mess with timing, fuel management system, possibly meth injection to keep temperatures lower so it don't detonate. Just trying to find out what worked for others.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dloyd350
Hey people. I'm new to the 350z life. Always have loved them and finally got one. My luck I got a bad one so not starting off on the right foot with paying 7000 for one and after purchase starts blowing blue smoke. Checked PCV it was bad. Replaced and cleaned plenum but it is still blowing blue smoke. So I know it's either valve stem seals or rings. Either way I'm just going to build the motor. I said build not rebuild because I'm doing research on finding correct parts to completely forge the bottom end. Such as metal types not names. I'm also going to throw boost at it later and I need to build it for that but I'm wanting to keep it at the high 10.3 to 1 I believe it is C/R. I'm trying to find out if anyone else has done a High compression single turbo low boost of 12psi build that is also reliable. I know I'll have to mess with timing, fuel management system, possibly meth injection to keep temperatures lower so it don't detonate. Just trying to find out what worked for others.
It's becoming more popular but I don't know if it's necessarily worth it. Depending on your fuel options it could pay off, but imho its better to just leave the comp ratio somewhat conservative and then just up the boost a bit more.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:29 AM
MartinZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The single turbo configuration is a bit of a mongrel, never the less, numerous people have done it and got it to work - often using VQ25DET or VQ30DET or HKS hardware - 8 PSI is common (meth injection not needed) - it only gives ~240kw at the wheels - definitely don't need forged internals for that level of power

The VQ35 crank is already strong - when people build a strong block it's just forged rods & pistons plus a crank bearing girdle (ARP fasteners as desired) - also upgrade the oil pump

Last edited by MartinZ; 09-11-2016 at 01:43 AM.