Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS Turbo kit- part out advice/options

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Rufless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS Turbo kit- part out advice/options

A little background- a few years back I bought my '05 z equipped with an APS single turbo kit. Within the second week of owning the car, the scavenge pump failed which then lead to the turbo failing. During a drawn out rebuild and trouble shooting process, I also discovered the notorious flex pipe crack and fixed that. Discovering the exhaust leak, my excitement for the kit was reinvigorated because initially I could tell the turbo wasn't spooling in the lower rpm range as expected so I hoped fixing the leak would improve the kit performance. Needless to say, the kit is on and working but the kit still isnt spooling right and fails to build any boost until 5000ish rpms. I have inspected the wastegate, looked and listened as best as possible for exhaust leaks but can not pinpoint why the kit isnt functioning. I know a lot of people love this kit and a lot of people have also had challenges. I am to the point I just want to be able to drive the car without having to worry about the pump failing or anything else resulting in the car being put up for an extended period of time. So my question is- what is my best option for returning the car to stock without a donor car? I can try to sell it to someone locally and swap parts or I am considering parting out the kit on here. The turbo and rebuilt pump have less than 2k miles on them. If I part out the kit, can I leave the kit's fuel pump and injectors in the car and remove the Engine management plug or should I do I have to switch it all back to stock? The car has APS true dual exhaust which I really like but if I remove the turbo, I also have to figure out how to reconnect the headers kits y-pipe upstream of the turbo back into the 3.5" exhaust. Similarly, there is also the question of the intake. I am just trying to explore options at this point, I love the idea of the kit but am struggling with the reliability of FI. Open to all thoughts and suggestions. I am located in Kansas City for what its worth. Thanks.