Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Mishimoto vs Treadstone intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:54 AM
Wet feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mishimoto vs Treadstone intercooler

I'm putting together the last pieces of my turbo kit and actually jumped the gun and bought a Mishimoto Z line before really researching it. After talking to my tuner yesterday (Area51Tuned) he mentioned that the Treadstone had come out with a bigger TR8L intercooler that was really good and cost effective, $300. He said we might get away with using the Z line since we're doing the AEM meth/water spray too, but I might just order the bigger intercooler anyway.

The TR8 is 7.8x22x3.5 core, Z is 6.25x20.5x2.5 core, obvious differences.

Any of you guys/gals ever used their intercooler? Or on the contrary, used the Z line on a low boost build and are fine?

I did see the CX Racing intercooler with included supports, but not sure about their quality at that price ($200). I'm trying to keep things as good of quality as I can afford.

I searched but couldn't find anything.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:35 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

CX Racing Intercoolers are Junk. that's what they are cheap. NO INTERAL FINS, Stay away

I use the TreadStone Tr1245, works great, only 8-10 degrees above ambient on a full WOT Run with 19PSI.

It's not all about size either. different type construction, Bar & Fin desity, ect. I not going into detail here, but ytou can learn a lot on the TreadStone Website.

A high Quality IC will free up a ton of HP. As it keeps the Intake Temp very low.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:30 AM
Wet feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree and went ahead and ordered the newer TR8L Treadstone. I'm not sure the Mishi would've been anemic per se, but I'd rather not even spend the time/labor on installing it and find out it's not enough. Plus I'll have some room to grow with the Treadstone, although I am seriously going to try to stay within my target range!
I have crappy low octane gas and high temperatures where I live, so I might instal the methanol system, but want to see where I'm at first after tuning.