Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Am I missing anything?

Old 10-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Dvandevelde1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I missing anything?

hello, new to the forum. My names Devin. I purchased an 04 G35 coupe last September and have loved the car every day since. Its a 5AT but I got it for a steal. Last month, I picked up another 04 G35 but this one has the more aggressive looking aero, brembo brakes, and a manual trans. $1300 with a bad rod bearing. I think I got a decent deal. I am attempting to build a 700whp g35 without killing myself financially. Below are the components I believe I need to make this build happen. The turbo kit is not included as I am looking to purchase one used.
If you notice I missed something, please let me know. All feedback is much appreciated.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

You don't have to upgrade the stock valves, I belive the stage 3 kit already comes with with a rebuild kit (Gaskets and things), Don't have to get the metal motor mounts, the intake manifold is also very debatable but personally i love the look.

You need to upgrade your valve springs and get a Rev-up oil pump (i think this is also part of the stage 3 kit).
Old 10-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Dvandevelde1

Originally Posted by Conway_160
You don't have to upgrade the stock valves, I belive the stage 3 kit already comes with with a rebuild kit (Gaskets and things), Don't have to get the metal motor mounts, the intake manifold is also very debatable but personally i love the look.

You need to upgrade your valve springs and get a Rev-up oil pump (i think this is also part of the stage 3 kit).
The cams come with upgraded springs. I don't need new valves? The stock ones hold up to big power? Will the stock manifold flow well enough?
Old 10-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Dvandevelde1

And the kit also doesnt mention an oil pump.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:00 PM
Conway_160

Originally Posted by Dvandevelde1
The cams come with upgraded springs. I don't need new valves? The stock ones hold up to big power? Will the stock manifold flow well enough?
It's the common consensus that 100% stock heads will flow up to 600Whp. Most people only change out their valves to go bigger or to lighten them up a little bit so they can rev higher a little more safely.

There is a huge debate on what is the best manifold. Most people just run a DE lower manifold or MREV2 Lower with a plenum spacer. From what I've read on here they say the best intake manifold is the Cosworth but its stupid expensive. The Kinetix doesn't get much love, the main advantage to the Kinetix is your hp curve wont fall nearly as sharp at the top end like it does with the stock plenum setup.

And the kit also doesnt mention an oil pump.
Then you need to buy one, this will allow you to rev to ~7500 ($200), if you plan on going crazy to like 8k you need a nismo ($1300), cosworth ($600), or there is another one for sale here on the fourms that is good until 8500+ for $900.

You also need to make sure you upgrade to ARP Studs!

A billet griddle would also be wise.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:01 PM
Conway_160

http://www.suckerpunchmotorsports.co...-vq35de-03-06/

Here is the $900 and best oil pump available for our cars.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Dvandevelde1

It's the common consensus that 100% stock heads will flow up to 600Whp. Most people only change out their valves to go bigger or to lighten them up a little bit so they can rev higher a little more safely.

There is a huge debate on what is the best manifold. Most people just run a DE lower manifold or MREV2 Lower with a plenum spacer. From what I've read on here they say the best intake manifold is the Cosworth but its stupid expensive. The Kinetix doesn't get much love, the main advantage to the Kinetix is your hp curve wont fall nearly as sharp at the top end like it does with the stock plenum setup.

Then you need to buy one, this will allow you to rev to ~7500 ($200), if you plan on going crazy to like 8k you need a nismo ($1300), cosworth ($600), or there is another one for sale here on the fourms that is good until 8500+ for $900.

You also need to make sure you upgrade to ARP Studs!

A billet griddle would also be wise.
So if I'm looking for more than 600 what would I have to do to the heads? Port and polish?
Old 10-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Conway_160

So if I'm looking for more than 600 what would I have to do to the heads? Port and polish?
Bigger cams will wake it up, up top. We have very small 240exh and 238in at 9.37 lift.

There was a company that did flow checks on the DE heads Stock vs ported vs stock HR heads. The Ported heads flowed roughly 25 more CFMs up to so is that worth the money to you? The Ported heads were about on par with stock HR heads.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Dvandevelde1

Bigger cams will wake it up, up top. We have very small 240exh and 238in at 9.37 lift.

There was a company that did flow checks on the DE heads Stock vs ported vs stock HR heads. The Ported heads flowed roughly 25 more CFMs up to so is that worth the money to you? The Ported heads were about on par with stock HR heads.
What cams would you recommend for this application?
Old 10-03-2017, 06:17 PM
Conway_160

What cams would you recommend for this application?
Sorry man that's above my knowledge. Your best bet is to call JWT or someone like that and ask sorry man

https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...-manifold.html

This is my thread asking about porting and polishing. Also has article about the head comparison.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:39 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

If it was me...and not to crap all over your thread but rather give you a little bit of perspective...

Its a 5AT but I got it for a steal
Don't do this build to an AT car or a G35. I don't think the AT can handle 700whp without some addition help. And would you really want to drive a car with that much power going through an automatic transmission? Yes, you can swap the trans but its not a guarantee it'll work and its additional cost/work/hassle.

Sell/part out both cars and find a clean 350z chassis to work on. I don't know the G35 well enough but I think more people have done bigger builds on the Z chassis versus the G chassis and it's my impression that more parts are available for the Z compared to the G - but I'm not 100%.

I am attempting to build a 700whp g35 without killing myself financially
if you can lower your goal to 600 to 650whp it'll save you $25k. Hitting 700whp will require significantly more engine mods, bigger/more complete fuel system, a higher/more complicated tuning solution, among other things.

inexpensive, reliable, fast ... pick two

without killing myself financially.
350whp-500whp = $7k to $15k
500whp-650whp = $15k to $25k
650whp-900whp = $25k to $50k

The turbo kit is not included as I am looking to purchase one used.
This could be ill-fated ... buying a kit used is taking a risk. Plan on spending $1000 to $1500 getting the blowers rebuilt and replacing seals, gaskets, hoses, redo'ing/undo'ing modifications by the previous owner. It's taking a risk. I bought my greddy kit used for $1800 (included the intercooler) and I spent around $1500 refreshing the kit.

If you notice I missed something, please let me know. All feedback is much appreciated.
For simplicity, knowing it's done right, and probably less expensive long run just get a stage 3 built block from IPP or Z1 (or whomever). $12-$15k ... you don't want to risk everything on 'refreshed' block.

Plan on spending $5k to $8k on a all inclusive turbo setup.

plan on spending $500 to $1000 on cooling modifications (radiator/oil cooler) - you can make that much horsepower without generating significant amounts of additional heat.

plan on $1000 for tuning / dyno time

plan on $2000 to $3000 for a tuning platform including accessories like wideband sensors, temp/pressure sensors, addition CAN items.

plan on $500 for in-cab gauges/feedback (you know you'll want them)

plan on $1500 for a better exhaust/test pipes

look into Motordyne's intake / intake mods rather than the kinetix - the kinetix will cost you power.

Last edited by bealljk; 10-11-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Search this Thread