Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy + Technosquare for timing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 03:06 PM
Bini2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Greddy + Technosquare for timing

Ok, my kit was installed last Friday with the default settings from Greddy. My installer told me to take the car home, drive it easy for 500 miles, then bring it back for the final tuning. Final tuning includes making a custom map for me, oil change, and final Dyno.

I also talked to them about timing and what was their suggestion....they really didn't have a suggestion for timing on the 350 z.

So I have 500 more miles on the car and I really want a timing solution in place before I take it in for the final tune.

I talk with my installer a bit more (not the installer himself, but the front desk guy who is psuedo technical), and he says that there is not a reliable timing solution for the 350z right now. Also talked to the owner and his response was the same.

I asked about Technosquare, and he said that he knows of other Greddy TT 350 installs (done by other installers) that are having issues with the Technosquare re-flash on the Greddy kit.

I told my installer that I would drop my car off and for him to ship my ECU out to Technosquare for a re-flash. Good decision?

FYI, I plan on running 5lbs daily driving and 7.5lbs when I need a little more boost.

Thoughts?

Is there any other solution I should consider instead of Technosquare?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Bini2; 03-31-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:33 PM
jesseenglish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only other timing solution out there that I know of is the J&S safeguard. Both are good solutions, the technosquare is more for someone who is running a set amount of boost with no real changes after it's programmed. Whereas the J&S would be for people who want to do adjustments to their timing themselves.

Supposedly the Emanage can do timing, but I don't know of anyone who has got it to work.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:54 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Bini, hold off on the TS Reflash or any other timing solution for the timebeing. Really take some time to weigh the options before proceeding. My suggestion is to enjoy the car at 5-6psi for a while.....you can always have the car tuned later. It;s going to run great right out of the box. Probably about 350hp with exhuast and straight pipe/RT Cats.

Here is the way I see it

1) TS Reflash: Tadashi is still working on this...but I don't really have an ETA on when a reliable reflash will be ready. As much as I trust Tadashi, I don't wanna be the guinea pig on his Greddy TT Reflash. I think he is having trouble controlling the 440cc injectors.

2) A second option is to ask Tadashi JUST to take out some timing from the upper RPMS, and leave the rest of the base map the same. Again...just a timing retard reflash...I think this would work, but someone correct me if I am wrong. Then the eManage will run the fuel maps and controll the injectors. Timing will safely be retard via the stock ECU.

3) This is the one I am waiting for: Confirming that the 350Z eManage ignition timing harness works reliably with the car. One guy on this board is running it...but Greddy said it will fry the coils. If they perfect this solution, then the eManage can safely and effectively control fuel AND timing.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:33 AM
mjedens

Default E-Manage

The above does "work" for adjusting A/F with 440 injectors and also lets you retard timing. I have it and it does work!! Buy it from Ultimate Racing and they have a package deal including a fuel pump!
Old 04-01-2004, 04:13 AM
t32gzz

I have the Greddy TT w/ a TS reflash. TS did not flash for fuel, only for timing, rev limiter to 7100 and speed limiter removal. Well worth it for a safe car. Just my .02.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:33 AM
Yancy

I have the Greddy TT and TS did the same thing for me that they did for T32gzz. I agree with T32gzz.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:40 AM
Bini2

Default Re: E-Manage

Originally posted by mjedens
The above does "work" for adjusting A/F with 440 injectors and also lets you retard timing. I have it and it does work!! Buy it from Ultimate Racing and they have a package deal including a fuel pump!
You are talking about the Greddy Timing Harness? How difficult was it to install? Who did the installation for you?, Crawford?
Old 04-01-2004, 06:43 AM
2003z

I have the technosquare and am going to have the fuel adjusted for the stillen kit, but not the timing. I am very happy with them, but its hard to make adjustments by mail. You should also look into the J&S first and see if thats something Ed can work with.

The only downside of TS, is if the dealership ever has to work on the ecu, the consult 2 will tell them its a mismatched ecu and wont allow them to do anything. Could be a good thing, could also be a bad thing.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:14 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by t32gzz
I have the Greddy TT w/ a TS reflash. TS did not flash for fuel, only for timing, rev limiter to 7100 and speed limiter removal. Well worth it for a safe car. Just my .02.

So you still are running the eManage with 440cc injectors...right??
Old 04-01-2004, 08:10 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by t32gzz

Old 04-01-2004, 06:49 PM
Enron Exec

How does TS create a fuel map if you have an array of mods or do they just ball park it?
Old 04-01-2004, 07:16 PM
etx

Default Re: E-Manage

Originally posted by mjedens
So your using the emanage to pull timing? Are you using an adapter or some kind of modified ignition harness? I know for a fact hooking up the emanage ignition harness to the Z the same way you would with a regular car WILL fry your coil packs.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:50 PM
PhoenixINX

Default Re: Re: E-Manage

Originally posted by etx
So your using the emanage to pull timing? Are you using an adapter or some kind of modified ignition harness? I know for a fact hooking up the emanage ignition harness to the Z the same way you would with a regular car WILL fry your coil packs.
That is what Greddy told me, and what I relayed to Mike...

He (Mike) said ultimate racing did a harness for this, and BAM it works... Maybe they (Ultimate Racing) wants to chime in here????
Old 04-02-2004, 05:32 AM
t32gzz

Originally posted by gq_model_626
No e-manage. DFMU and SAFC II for fuel. Still running the 440cc injectors though.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:45 AM
etx

Well I am working on a fix for the emanage timing control as well. As soon as I figure it out and test it I will post a complete writeup with detailed instructions on how to do it yourself. So far I have two meathods to try out, I am just waiting on some components from Digikey.

I hear that greddy did not find out their emanage will fry the coils on the Z until 4 months after installing it. I'm not 100% sure on this because I just heard it from someone. The problem is the emanage does not totally drop the signal on the line for each coil. This results in a weaker spark and overheating of the coil packs. I'll post some info after I work on it this weekend. The track opens tomarrow so I don't think I will be getting a whole lot of work done.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:05 PM
swinke

Originally posted by etx
Well I am working on a fix for the emanage timing control as well. As soon as I figure it out and test it I will post a complete writeup with detailed instructions on how to do it yourself. So far I have two meathods to try out, I am just waiting on some components from Digikey.

I hear that greddy did not find out their emanage will fry the coils on the Z until 4 months after installing it. I'm not 100% sure on this because I just heard it from someone. The problem is the emanage does not totally drop the signal on the line for each coil. This results in a weaker spark and overheating of the coil packs. I'll post some info after I work on it this weekend. The track opens tomarrow so I don't think I will be getting a whole lot of work done.
I have been running the E-Manage on my Procharged Z for 4 months now and I have had no trouble with the coils. I think this could be a case of "hearsay-itis". I have yet to comunicate with anyone first hand that has lost a coil using the E-Manage with the ignition harness. This is an URBAN MYTH! The guys from Ultimate Racing have been running the E-Manage with the stock coils for longer than I have. If they burned a coil they would have told me by now so they could sell me some new stuff I'm sure. Who lost a coil? Somebody who knows somebody who knows a camel who is related to Don King? What a load! Please list the forum tag of the person so I can find out what else they may have done to burn up the coils or if this is even true. Coil upgrades would be pretty simple and inexpensive anyway, who cares! Having accurate user tunable control over the timing is something I have seen very little of so far for my Z. Is there another way? TS flash = Do not touch as does the HKS standalone system. TS flash is great for someone not planning on doing much of there own work. Thats just not me.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:22 PM
etx

I totally agree. I did my research on it, and came up with 2 possible ways to avoid the problem. I literally JUST finished installing the harness with fix #1, I am still waiting on parts for the other idea but now I don't think I am going to need them! The car is running great! I have not had any time to test it, actually I have not even taken it out yet. But it's running like stock and so far no signs of the coil packs overheating. I let the emanage sit on with the motor off for about 30 minutes, the coils were not even warm to the touch. If this really works out that's great news for everyone with a greddy kit because all you need is the ignition harness and $6 worth of stuff. I want to be sure that this is going to work before I post a howto on it. I will taking the car to the track tomarrow for a couple runs, but it's still running the fuel map from greddy. I have already programmed it with a simple base map to work on, so ill be tweaking that tomarrow.

Originally posted by swinke
I have been running the E-Manage on my Procharged Z for 4 months now and I have had no trouble with the coils. I think this could be a case of "hearsay-itis". I have yet to comunicate with anyone first hand that has lost a coil using the E-Manage with the ignition harness. This is an URBAN MYTH! The guys from Ultimate Racing have been running the E-Manage with the stock coils for longer than I have. If they burned a coil they would have told me by now so they could sell me some new stuff I'm sure. Who lost a coil? Somebody who knows somebody who knows a camel who is related to Don King? What a load! Please list the forum tag of the person so I can find out what else they may have done to burn up the coils or if this is even true. Coil upgrades would be pretty simple and inexpensive anyway, who cares! Having accurate user tunable control over the timing is something I have seen very little of so far for my Z. Is there another way? TS flash = Do not touch as does the HKS standalone system. TS flash is great for someone not planning on doing much of there own work. Thats just not me.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Kenji who is the lead technician at Greddy (owner/driver of the Greddy 350Z) is the one who fried the coils. They were testing the kit on their company. I am going to try to call Kenji on Monday at Greddy and get some more detail on this. eManage would be a terrific solution if we can safely and reliably get the timing piece working.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:19 AM
03_ppw350z

i have talk to kenji about the coil frying also. e burned the coil but he also said it could have jus been a bad coil. they were not sure if the harness was the actual cuase. also i heard if you dont leave the ignition on the on position with the car off you shouldnt have problems. etx i cant wait to you post a how to on this. would you include color codes on were to wire what wires?
Old 04-03-2004, 02:43 AM
slay2k

Uhm, this is a bit of a retarded question.. but what exactly does "timing" represent and why does it need to be modified on the Greddy kit ? I thought fuel management of some sort was enough :\

Quick Reply: Greddy + Technosquare for timing