Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Stillen Supercharger (Belt Issues)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Twistedframe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen Supercharger (Belt Issues)

I have an issue that I have been trying to chase out ever since I got the car, and now it's driving me crazy. I have a squeeky supercharger belt (or, so i think).

My question is, Do any of you have a Stillen S/C and if so, do you or have you ever had any issues with it like this..

Also, even if any of you DON'T have a S/C, do you get any squeeky belt problems?

It's hard to pinpoint the squeel, if it is in fact coming from the S/C belts or if its coming from one of the serpentine belts..

I have tightened and loosened this belt so much and so many variations in between, that I have no clue what's too tight, and what's not enough... I have even put belt dressing on it, and that does absolutely nothing. - I really don't like the idea of the belt dressing period. -As that would make the belt slip instead of stick I guess. and "slipping" on a S/C belt means bad news because it's not fully turning it anymore.

Do any of you have any ideas or whatnot about this??

I will have to check with Stillen I guess if there is nothing else that can be done.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:01 PM
2003z

I have a slight squeal at start up, and only at startup when my car has sat for a week or 2, and I think its the s/c belt, but I haven't gotten around to messing with it, because thats the only time it does it, and I have been busy. I would start with the s/c belt and then move on to the others, tightening progressively til the squeal goes away.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:30 PM
SungNamZ

I am awaiting a Vortech SC, but I think I read in a post within the last couple of days, if you can take the belt and twist it and see the bottom side, it needs tightening. Might have been in a Vortech post, but assuming the same applies.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Twistedframe

Ok well, I narrowed it down to the serpentine belt! I get a quick squeel at start up too, and then a chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp for about 10 seconds now after putting on some more belt dressing a bit ago. I put a weight on the pedal and went and listened for the point where the sound was coming from, and it sounds like its doing it on the left side where the power steering pump is at.

It also will chirp, chirp, chirp when I max out the steering wheel's turn radius.

I need to know if there is an adjustable tensioner on the engine, and if so, where it's located. I think I may have found it, but just want to confirm that.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:38 PM
2003z

there is a tensioner for each of the 2 belts. you need to loosen the belt on the center of the tensioner pulley first, then adjust the tension with the bolt you access from the bottom. after tightening, retighten the bolt in the center of the puley.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:40 PM
axxizzer

Default Re: Stillen Supercharger (Belt Issues)

Originally posted by Twistedframe
I have an issue that I have been trying to chase out ever since I got the car, and now it's driving me crazy. I have a squeeky supercharger belt (or, so i think).

My question is, Do any of you have a Stillen S/C and if so, do you or have you ever had any issues with it like this..

Also, even if any of you DON'T have a S/C, do you get any squeeky belt problems?

It's hard to pinpoint the squeel, if it is in fact coming from the S/C belts or if its coming from one of the serpentine belts..

I have tightened and loosened this belt so much and so many variations in between, that I have no clue what's too tight, and what's not enough... I have even put belt dressing on it, and that does absolutely nothing. - I really don't like the idea of the belt dressing period. -As that would make the belt slip instead of stick I guess. and "slipping" on a S/C belt means bad news because it's not fully turning it anymore.

Do any of you have any ideas or whatnot about this??

I will have to check with Stillen I guess if there is nothing else that can be done.

Stillen charger, yes
stillen charger problems, no
Old 02-15-2005, 10:34 AM
joe joe z

I'm curious: I to had belt problems with my Stillen S/C that have been fixed now for about 8K miles. Was your issue ever resolved?

Happy Happy Stillen Charger users...