Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Water Injection

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 06:20 AM
Gary Evans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Injection

I've closely followed this board with interest since picking up a G35 earlier this year and toying with the idea of FI. My last car was a 300ZX TT with the boost turned up so the advantages are clear to me.
The numerous engine failures (piston & rods) that I’ve read about to date are, as far as I can tell, most all detonation related. Some may very well have been triggered by overly lean conditions or boost controls run amuck but detonation is likely what caused most if not all of the actual damage. It's pretty well understood by now that the stock pistons and rods are the first limiting factor in boost level and this is true in most all modern engines. Better internals are always a good step but even forged piston and rods are no match for the hammering that detonation can create. Cooling the combustion process and/or high octane race gas are the only real solutions but everyone already uses intercoolers and the cost/availability of race gas makes it impractical for many. I have used water or water/alcohol injection for over 10 years on two turbocharged motorcycles and am sold on the concept for use as a safety device. The water (steam in the chamber) significantly cools the combustion process and thereby allows much higher cylinder pressure for any given octane of fuel. It adds no measurable power since the water vapor will displace some of the fuel that could have been ingested but it doesn't lose any either and provides a large safety margin. With the use of water injection it is possible to gain power by raising the boost level but I don't recommend it since the water is then the only thing between you and detonation.
I'm fueling the current bike at close to the same level some are using on the G35/Z350 with 380cc injectors and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. It's currently generating 350 RWHP which is also close to your base levels but then it's only got 1300cc. I'm using an AquaMist system that is capable of delivering about 20% water at peak RPM into the pressurized side on air intake. You need a high pressure pump to provide good atomization.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

The turbo Buick crowd is also big users of water/alcohol although they use larger FloMaster pumps since they have greater delivery volume requirements.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/for...?s=&forumid=14

Some pics of the AquaMist system components on my bike are shown at my message board.

http://p090.ezboard.com/fazbiketechf...opicID=1.topic

Think about it. It could save you some expensive parts.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:17 AM
G3po

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WI as a safety measure

I consider WI as the means to increase boost and a system such as J&S safeguard as the means to provide a "safety net".
I consider this an effective check and balance method. I've used WI on two blown V8s and found that I could add between 2 to 3 psi of boost on 91 pump and "water alone". I used an MSD knock alert as the safeguard then.