Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

F/I kits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004 | 09:55 AM
tacomaboy

Default F/I kits?

Out of curiousity (since it would be over a year before I could even contemplate actually doing it), what would people recommend as the most economical F/I kit (Turbo, TT, or SC) for the 350Z?

By this I do not mean the cheapest! I mean the best bang for the buck, with reliability being VERY important!

And also I mean the ENTIRE kit, i.e. for the Stillen SC you need a hood, so add the cost there.

How hard is the installation? What would the price be for the ENTIRE setup (BOV, gauges, etc).

It is my contention that spending money on any engine mods is a waste of time unless it is F/I, since you really dont gain any real power. For example, adding headers for 700+ dollars really only gets you 10HP at best. While F/I can get you 80+HP easily, correct? It seems to me rather than adding exhaust, intake, ECU, etc etc etc, that F/I is much more effective at producing real power to the engine.

Any one agree with this? If not, why?
Old 09-07-2004 | 06:58 PM
350G

Bang for the buck:

Supercharge it--less components & an easier install (half the labor hours). You won't have the tunability of a TT, but if you aren't building a 500HP beast and don't want to worry about forged internals, then, this is your best bet.

I went the TT route and here's what you can expect to shell out:

1) Greddy TT kit w/Intercooler $5600
2) Profec e01 $500
3) Greddy BOV $100
4) Gauges $500
5) Install $2000 up to $2500 (varies)

So approximately $9K . . . just to be at the HP that you could make with a SC costing thousands less.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-08-2004 | 04:06 AM
tacomaboy

It does... plus dont SCs have the advantage of quicker power (no spooling?).

I am not looking for a 500 HP beast.

Do all SC kits require a new hood?
Old 09-08-2004 | 04:29 AM
teh215

Stillen is the only one that requires a new hood. ATI, HKS and Vortech all fit under the factory hood.
Old 09-08-2004 | 05:54 AM
tacomaboy

I love that avatar lol.

So the Stillen is ruled out for me because of the hood (and from what I have heard abour Stillen quality.

I will do some research on ATI HKS and Vortech (Vortech seems to be the most popular one here). Sorry for being so lazy but I appreciate the help!