Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Problem with RAIN! LEAKING?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 10:55 PM
imalazeeass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with RAIN! LEAKING?

I just noticed that rain is somehow getting into my car?! I didnt notice it at first but once I sat inside, it smelled REALLY BAD.. like the smell of rain water thats been sitting in the car for some time. I touched the floor mats and they are soaked. Theres no puddle or anything but they are really wet. I also checked the back mats and they're wet as well. I had a box of tissue on the floor in the back, and the entire box was basically soaked and soggy from the rain. Anyone else have this problem? This car is pretty damn expensive for having rain seeping through. And no, it is not from flooding or anything, it has not been raining that hard at all. Plus my car is parked in my driveway which is slopped downwards. Any help would be appreciated, I cant stand the friggin smell. And knowing that it's going to be raining some more these next few days makes it all even worse.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:42 PM
Sam56n

close your windows
Old 12-31-2004, 12:27 AM
imalazeeass

Thank you for your intelligence.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:44 AM
NismoGCoupe

I have a problem with water leaking in, my problem is that water is leaking in through the firewall. If you ran any wires from the engine compartment coming in through the firewall thats where the problem is coming from
Old 12-31-2004, 07:02 AM
imalazeeass

i see.. that seems to make sense since. What did you do to fix it?
Old 12-31-2004, 03:20 PM
NismoGCoupe

I havent fixed it yet but im gonna seal it with silicone it should solve the problem
Old 01-03-2005, 10:09 PM
imalazeeass

well i put a sh*tload of silicone sealant, made it look like a big pile of snot because i wanted to be sure. It seemed to have done the trick alright, but it still leaks a little bit. At least my floor mats aren't soaked up like before. This worries me (and should worry you too) because the last time this happened, it leaked all the way to the bcm unit and shorted it out, causing my windshield wipers to go krazy and not be able to adjust or turn off. So i suggest you do it quick! I took it to the dealer and they immediately wanted to charge me $400 for a new bcm unit, but after a day of leavig my car the dealer i went back to check, and guess what? everything is working fine again..

just a warning

I guess it depends on where your hole is but mine is on the driver side..
Old 01-05-2005, 08:33 AM
RANDY350Z

Did you ask the dealer to look into it? And if the place where you installed it installed it wrong, I would make them responsible for fixing it. Basically all they had to do is run the power wires thru an already opening of wires made at the factory. This sounds like they drilled into the firewall which is not a good thing. and easier fix would be to place a rubber grommet in the hole. and then slighlty seal it with silicone. But this is not normal. You may have aleak in your windsheild or sunroof. Have you had your windsheild replaced?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:11 AM
imalazeeass

No I haven't. And yes, I did ask the dealer to look into it which is how I found out about the hole in the first place. As expected, the dealer told me the sound place was responsible for it. So I went there and told them to seal it for me and they just added some type of heavy duty tape. It was quite ghetto so to speak. I will obviously never go back there again. A gromet sounds like a good idea, I will look into that when i'm not so lazeee
Old 01-05-2005, 11:06 AM
NismoGCoupe

with my problem the cables are going through the factory rubber grommet on the driver side and since it not complete sealed where the wires are entering thats where the leak is coming from.
imalazeeass is that where they ran the wires through or did they drill a new hole?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:59 AM
imalazeeass

those b*stards drilled a new hole and they made the hole almost twice as big as the size of my wire....
Old 01-11-2005, 08:57 AM
RANDY350Z

If you can't rectify this, I would take more photos and take them to small claims court. Or trade your G in for another and tell the Audio place they either come up with the negative equity or you will sue them. Basically you should sue them anyway because you have a car that leaks. This is unexceptable and the thing is you paid for them to do a good job and they ****ED it UP! They are supposedly professional installers, they should no better. Most installers know to at least find a wire or series of wires to go into the firewall. Drilling should only be done as a last resort.

Queston though, is the water comming from the hood area--meaning when it rains, is the water that is channeled finding its way to the hole, or is it being splashed up from underneath?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:19 AM
SEzzz

i had the same problem with a leak after my compustar was installed. they didn't use any sealant for the hole. I had the dealer seal it. they charged me $20 to do it.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:09 AM
imalazeeass

i really dont know how water is getting in there.. i think its just getting splashed.. it had to be raining very hard for it to have leaked that much. After i sealed it myself with the ghetto way, it seemed to have done the trick but it still feels a little wet.. maybe i should take it to the dealer and have them seal it for $20 too..
Old 01-11-2005, 01:46 PM
SEzzz

or find out where else it's coming from. you don't want a swamp in there, it's gonna start to smell