Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Is the G35 the car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:05 AM
Sp00led Ya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the G35 the car for me?

Alright well I posted a 350z thread on this and found out it really was not for me. I would like to consider a G35 as an option. SO, I am 20 years old and I plan on going to school again next year, I am enlisting in the Air National Guard and I will be recieving half of my $15,000 signing bonus after tech school around winter time. After taxes and including some of the money I earned over training I plan to put $8-10,000 dollars down on a car and I want to carry no more than under a $300 car payment while in school, the GI bill is providing me with $297 per month and drill pay is about $200 so that in itself will cover the car payment and insurance... yes being 20 I have checked on Gwhip insurance and it was suprisingly low at under $260 per month, I am telling you all these things because I am sure they would have come up "check insurance man I think you should buy a civic" or something like that. I have done the homework on everything but the car it self.

I must say I swore to myself that if I ever got the means to buy a nice car I wanted it would be a used EVO or STi, I loved both to death and the uber power and handling is awsome but call me crazy it got kind of boring after a while, maybe after realisation that modding gets expensive, addictive and tricky, on top of the random costs if you ended up getting a bad egg used EVO, the STi is a better choice as far as build quality and fun and more reliable than the STi. I have driven 7 STi's over time, two 2004s,three 2005's and two 2006's. I have driven 3 EVOs including a 2003, 2005 and a 2005 MR. I love the cars and how versitile they are, I do live in Maine however after having a couple for the entire day and playing around with them the power crazyness I love kindof got old. I could just see myself going home late at night being tired and hating every bump. I think I have become more fond of nice interiors, a sexy look but in the same sense I do need power.

I test drove a TSX last night hoping to make myself fall in love with it but it was too slow, even though I loved the interior and the clean look of it... oh yeah I LOVE HIDs. I don't consider myself a luxury guy, I am performance but in the same sense I cannot do the two seater thing. I can't be with friends and then not be able to pick up a couple girls, or even not be able to throw stuff in the back, it'd drive me crazy. I don't want a car that handles like mush, and I don't want a car that is overly heavy and slow, I want something that I can mod if I choose and have fun with, but still not something that will get raked up all day long by chicks in new eclipse GT's. I want practicality mixed with performance, a car that I could have fun with. I remember driving a G35 Coupe 6Spd and I really liked it however the transmission and shifter felt cheap, like it wanted to break if the car was driven hard and I didn't like that... I refuse to get an automatic though. My mod path with a G35 would be over time, some nice wheels (volks, bbs or something of the sort) some go fast stuff, would it be hard to get this car to run with Mustang GT's? and probobly some coilovers (would this improve the handling much?) I just want a well rounded nice car, I think I am over the boy racer style however I still don't want to be the moron that uses "it's a luxury car with lots of features" as my excuse because I got whaled on by some high school kids in there fast cheap cars. I'd be looking to buy used, with lower miles, also does the G35 have any problems in earlier years? I'd be looking to spend say, $23k? with under 50,000 miles? This is after the fall

Last edited by Sp00led Ya; 04-05-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:33 PM
jasonlee4180

Say, haven't I seen you over on the EvoM forums asking a similar question about getting an evo?

Anway, if you can afford it, I would say the G35 would be one of your best candidates for all of your requisites. I'm not so sure if you can pick up even an '03 G35 6MT for $23k at this time. Then again, I guess all it takes a little looking. The G35 gives you some performance to work with and is plenty fast enough to beat over 90% of the cars on your daily drive. The G35 looks really great, it looks like a much more expensive car than what it really is. I can't say that for an Evo or STi.

You could mod this car with boltons to run with some newer stock mustang GT's, yes. Handling, just like all cars, can always be improved. But the G35 handling is not so bad at all, stock. The back seat is quite useable actually, so you could definitely fit 4 people if needed. The shifter can be improved by replacing it with a heavier weight shift **** and maybe a short shifter.

About getting outrun by high schoolers in their cheap fast cars...what can I say. Even Goliath cars like Ferrari's and Corvettes get taken down by cheap fast cars.

The G35 is definitely one of the more rounded cars. Like someone else has said before, "It's a jack of all trades and master on none".
Old 04-10-2006, 03:12 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging by your post I would think that you would get bored by any car in your price range. The G35 is leaps and bounds sexier than the EVO and STI, but both of those cars outperform the G in every aspect. The G35 is very comfortable and has some performance to back it up, but if you wanted to get any real gains, you have to go FI. Not to mention, it will be VERY hard for you to find one for 23k with low miles. The Infinity, IMO is built better than the EVO and STI as well. Basically what I am saying is, you are going to have to sacrafice a little of what you want for any of those cars. Good luck on your search!
Old 04-10-2006, 06:11 PM
cessna

Sounds like the G35 fits the bill.
I personally like having a nice interiour, and some comfort, as well as having the performance aspect to it at the same time. Beats the equivalent BMW in price and resale value btw