Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Reduce Heat soak with Sikky Thermanator gasket and ISO Thermo from MD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:08 PM
phurt74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduce Heat soak with Sikky Thermanator gasket and ISO Thermo from MD?

Need feed back thoughts on this intake gasket or combo. Has anyone installed the Sikky gasket and would you recommend?

http://www.sikky.com/view_item.php?id=56&catid=17

Here's what they claim. I'm thinking this with a ISO thermal gasket from MD should reduce heat soak quite a bit.

Thermalnator is a unique high temperature shielding gasket which replaces the stock intake manifold gasket. Thermalnator's cooling properties reduce heat by stopping metal to metal contact between the intake manifold and the engine block. By using a Thermalnator gasket, you will reduce the heat of the air entering your engine, making up to 5% more power. Thermalnator gaskets allow the intake manifold to perform like an intercooler. Because the manifold is no longer heated by the cylinder head, the heat from incoming air can dissipate through the aluminum very rapidly. The basic formula for this is for every 5 degrees F increase in intake air temp, air density is reduced by 1%. The denser the air is, the better the gain in horsepower.

Average testing has shown an 25 degrees F drop and up to 35 degrees in some applications. This is why a Thermalnator gasket is an excellent upgrade for your vehicle if it's stock or modified.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:26 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

How long is the air in the intake on the way to the engine? What is the temp increase?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:25 PM
phurt74

I dont know the answer to these questions, I can assume not long at all depending on your speed. I think this would help you more in areas that are very warm in the summer. I figure if you can keep the air as cool and dense as possible until it hits the heads the better. That's why your car runs great in the morning.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 PM
ph240

I have my doubts. What is stopping the mounting bolts from transferring heat from the heads to the intake? They are metal to metal in full contact.
"Because the manifold is no longer heated by the cylinder head, the heat from incoming air can dissipate through the aluminum very rapidly"

What about the radiant heat being absorbed by everything under the hood? including the Z's big intake. It may slow it down but it wont stop it from heating up.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ph240
I have my doubts. What is stopping the mounting bolts from transferring heat from the heads to the intake? They are metal to metal in full contact.
"Because the manifold is no longer heated by the cylinder head, the heat from incoming air can dissipate through the aluminum very rapidly"

What about the radiant heat being absorbed by everything under the hood? including the Z's big intake. It may slow it down but it wont stop it from heating up.
Steel bolts have a much slower rate of heat transfer than the alumnium manifold and a much smaller contact area, so you won't get much at all from the bolts.

Radiant heat is a huge issue, these cars have very high under-hood temps, especially when sitting.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I will mention that whatever you do, you will see less than a couple degree difference in air temp from the filter to the valves. The biggest concern is getting cool air to the filter.