Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Vortech vs Stillen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:56 PM
G2FAST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech vs Stillen?

I was thinking about buying the Greddy TT in the near furture but I have heard a lot of good stuff about Vortech vs Stillen. I wanted to know which one is better and easy to maintain? Which one gives you the most power? Do any Infiniti dealers install SC? Would I loose my warrenty?

I'm trying to learn the most about TT's and SC's, I can't afford to blow my engine!
Old 05-27-2004, 07:40 AM
THT

Then FI wouldn't be the way to go. If a dealer sees a car come in with some FI setup, kiss your powertrain warranty goodbye.

~THT
Old 05-28-2004, 07:34 AM
vegaseric

Default Re: Vortech vs Stillen?

Originally posted by X2theZ
I... Do any Infiniti dealers install SC? Would I loose my warrenty? ...
Grubbs Infiniti in the DFW area installs SC and TT kits. Although I haven't had personal experience with their FI installations, they have a good reputation. They explain how the modifications affect your warranty on their site. Check out their site here: Grubbs Performance
Old 05-31-2004, 11:17 AM
AXA_G35

Default Re: Vortech vs Stillen?

Originally posted by X2theZ
I was thinking about buying the Greddy TT in the near furture but I have heard a lot of good stuff about Vortech vs Stillen. I wanted to know which one is better and easy to maintain? Which one gives you the most power? Do any Infiniti dealers install SC? Would I loose my warrenty?

I'm trying to learn the most about TT's and SC's, I can't afford to blow my engine!

if your #1 concern is about protecting your engine while trying to have more power, then go with the Stillen's SC. Stillen offers 3 year engine warranty at extra cost.

personally, i'd go with either the GReddy TT or the Vortech SC for the following reasons.

1. You don't have to get another hood just to fit the S/C.
2. I've never been a big fan of roots-type supercharger.
3. It's alot easier to play with boosts(as in going up and down).
4. Having been a Maxima owner before, the Vortech supercharger is an awesome unit.

and yes, you will lose your factory warranty if you supercharge your car. and no, the infiniti dealers will never ever install the s/c unless you know a mechanic that works at the dealership.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:30 AM
tig488

actually, i think grubbs infiniti installs them, i know for a fact they are a dealer and installer of ATI procharger, i thought i heard them saying they were gonna do more brands, like vortech, and PE.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:33 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Go to SportZ magazine's website and check out dyno numbers on ATi, Vortech, and Stillen SC'ers. All dyno stats were done on the same day, same dyno, same procedure. At least this will give you comparison data. In addtion, you can get the Spring 2004 issue and read the article comparing the SC'ers if you like.

All FI units have pro's and con's. I suggest YOU really do your homework. Maybe you can find someone in your area that has one on their car and give you a ride. The butt dyno is a nice way to get input as well.

Good luck,

Jeff
Old 05-31-2004, 11:41 AM
AXA_G35

Originally posted by tig488
actually, i think grubbs infiniti installs them, i know for a fact they are a dealer and installer of ATI procharger, i thought i heard them saying they were gonna do more brands, like vortech, and PE.
oh yeah, but that's in TX, no?

what i should have said was that no infiniti dealers in CA will probably install the kit, probably because of much strict smog laws...it's gay...
Old 05-31-2004, 12:35 PM
lorinserbenz

Default Re: Re: Vortech vs Stillen?

Originally posted by AXA_G35
if your #1 concern is about protecting your engine while trying to have more power, then go with the Stillen's SC. Stillen offers 3 year engine warranty at extra cost.

personally, i'd go with either the GReddy TT or the Vortech SC for the following reasons.

1. You don't have to get another hood just to fit the S/C.
2. I've never been a big fan of roots-type supercharger.
3. It's alot easier to play with boosts(as in going up and down).
4. Having been a Maxima owner before, the Vortech supercharger is an awesome unit.

and yes, you will lose your factory warranty if you supercharge your car. and no, the infiniti dealers will never ever install the s/c unless you know a mechanic that works at the dealership.
Thats not true, Lokey in Tampa installed a customers and member of this boards Vortech unit. Grubbs will also install a supercharger for its customers as well. Its all in how you deal with your service writer.
The dealership CANNOT void your warranty for installing a supercharger its against the law.
I know someone that has a procharger on his G and the dealer warrantied his tranny. The dealer could have said the transmission was bad because of the SC but they didnt.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:23 PM
esemes

Lokey Infiniti of CLEARWATER just did my blower install last week. They are authorized Vortech dealers (right now, thats the only model they install)...

You need to do the homework on the pros and cons to the warranty, but, if its not blower related failure, then it IS CERTAINLY covered.....

as to WTF 'blower related ' us, well, thats very case specific (just as proving abuse on a failed part is a grey area).....

I certainly know of the new limited warranty issues, as my last blower car went thru the same circumstances, and ford never gave me any troubles..... (they actually liked having my car to gawk at, back in the early 90's...)

check around; hopwfully you'll find a dealer as willing as Lokey (clearwater for sure, not sure about their other branches) to augment in the aftermarket performance industry....

-eS
Old 06-01-2004, 12:01 AM
AXA_G35

Default Re: Re: Re: Vortech vs Stillen?

Originally posted by lorinserbenz
Thats not true, Lokey in Tampa installed a customers and member of this boards Vortech unit. Grubbs will also install a supercharger for its customers as well. Its all in how you deal with your service writer.
The dealership CANNOT void your warranty for installing a supercharger its against the law.
I know someone that has a procharger on his G and the dealer warrantied his tranny. The dealer could have said the transmission was bad because of the SC but they didnt.
i think it probably depends on the dealership, but from my past experience, they will try to void warranty on every excuse they see. i guess it's just a matter of what you know and who you know.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:42 AM
m777erlin

Vortech all the way! Safe, less maintenance, emissions legal, etc. I have one, just haven't installed it yet.

We can get you a great price on either the Vortech or Greddy TT!

Regarding the warranty, click the link below. Might help, might not.

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act - http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

-Mike
Old 06-01-2004, 08:24 AM
NoExcuses

well the only way that they can void your warranty is if they can prove that the sc or tt unit is the cause for whatever problem you have. I wouldnt expect them to warrant the clutch though since it doesnt seem to be holding up too well on lots of peoples sc's.

Taken from grubbs infiniti website:
Performance products sold by Grubbs Infiniti will not void or affect the factory warranty unless the product can be proven to be a direct cause for a failure to the vehicle. This is a very misunderstood subject in the aftermarket consumer circles. There is a law-protecting vehicle owners from just this sort of fraudulent behavior practiced by some automotive dealers and/or manufacturers. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of such aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicles warranty or that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner’s manual under, "what is not covered".

Last edited by NoExcuses; 06-01-2004 at 08:28 AM.