Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Resonated TP passing "visual" inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 02:55 AM
atadlo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonated TP passing "visual" inspection

just wondering if anyone had slipped resonated test pipes past an inspection (no emissions testing). i know the whole argument about them most likely not passing the sniffer but i dont have to worry about that (at least for now in VA). im talking about a visual test. my reason is this- to the "untrained" eye, it seems that a lot of the resonated test pipes look similar to some of the high flow cats (i.e. helix i believe). from the outside there is no way to tell, that i know of- they both have a larger chamber welded into the pipe. so...could you just pass them off as being a "high flow catalytic converter" if i am questioned and still get your sticker? not that it's too big of a deal to take them off and go get it inspected, i was just wondering...finally got mine delivered yesterday and didnt plan on putting them in until i got another inspection. thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:04 AM
350zdanny

I believe that it's not emissions legal to tamper with the stock catylytic converter in any way. So if you get someone with any knowledge whatsoever, they'll know when they don't see any heat shields, or see a stainless steel tube.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:01 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my car inspected at a local gas station and they passed.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:44 AM
DrVolkl

The resonated test pipes look very similar to high flow cats. If someone asks, just say they're high flow cats and hope for the best.

Test pipes without the resonated section are just a piece of pipe...and that would be hard to talk your way out of.

You may want to arm yourself with some literature about the "high flow cats" so you can show someone how they're "50 state legal".
Old 02-23-2005, 11:15 AM
atadlo

that's what i'm thinking. after a few hundred miles and some good heat, i imagine the stainless steel won't be as shiney or "hey look at me i'm not a stock piece of steel!" looking. i guess it depends on who/where you go.

teh215:

did they actually put your car up on the lift or was it one of the "honk, blink your lights, signals, ok you're good" kind of jobs?