Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Y pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 01:34 PM
illudezion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y pipes

I know I know some one is going to reply with do the search or something like that. Well I did and pages and pages come up due to the fact that I won’t limit it down the "y" so I get pages of test pipe and all sort of other things.... I just want to know if the is a big gain in getting a new y-pipe with the stock exhaust and will it make the stock exhaust sound different. I don't really have the funds to get a new cat back system so I’m just looking for ways to get a lil bit more gain and a lil bit loader but having a deep tone. I thought about test pipe but after reading all those pages it make the exhaust raspy which I don't want. Please help
Old 04-19-2005, 01:47 PM
deviant1

You should get some High Flow cats.

I've had a Gruppe-S Y-pipe since September, and just installed Helix cats this last weekend, and the cats made a huge difference in power, and made the exhaust note really nice and aggressive. The Y-pipe made no real noticeable gain in power or sound.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:57 PM
mgl

+1

get high flo cats first.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:16 PM
baron

Originally Posted by illudezion
I know I know some one is going to reply with do the search or something like that. Well I did and pages and pages come up due to the fact that I won’t limit it down the "y" so I get pages of test pipe and all sort of other things.... I just want to know if the is a big gain in getting a new y-pipe with the stock exhaust and will it make the stock exhaust sound different. I don't really have the funds to get a new cat back system so I’m just looking for ways to get a lil bit more gain and a lil bit loader but having a deep tone. I thought about test pipe but after reading all those pages it make the exhaust raspy which I don't want. Please help

I just got my y-pipe from Pro-1 and Kinetix HF cats. Total cost was like $600. I will probably install them together this week. Will let you know the results. I am also trying to spend as little as possible for my exhaust to get the most gains.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:32 PM
illudezion

Thanks for the feedback...got another question then...if i get a tru dual exhaust will that eliminate the y-pipe? Reason i ask is that Baron you spent $600 on y-pipe and hfc and i've seen the borla tru dual exhaust for around $700+shp. Wouldn't getting the Borla catback be more bang for you buck then?
Old 04-19-2005, 02:50 PM
baron

Thanks for the feedback...got another question then...if i get a tru dual exhaust will that eliminate the y-pipe? Reason i ask is that Baron you spent $600 on y-pipe and hfc and i've seen the borla tru dual exhaust for around $700+shp. Wouldn't getting the Borla catback be more bang for you buck then?
We'll I don't really know the configuration of the true dual. Anyway, the bottle neck to our exhaust should be at the y-pipe and hf cat. So I should get more gains than just changing the cat back exhaust alone.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:33 PM
TanabeUSA

One of the highest restriction areas on the 350Z's exhaust system layout lie in the front factory Y-pipe and catalytic converters.

Changing the Y-pipe can net a great increase in whp, depending on the replacement pipe's design and the y-pipe should be one of the very first parts to change if you are looking for noticeable power gains.

We carry a replacement front Y-pipe for the 350Z

You can read more about it in this thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/118484-tanabe-front-y-pipe-information-and-release.html
Old 04-19-2005, 09:10 PM
kinjal

HFC are a better mod than a TD exhaust. My first mods will be plenum, HFC, CAI, pulleys... all together. i think it will create some power
Old 04-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got 6 hp from my unlimited ypipe with stock cats and exhaust. Its a good mod, and there's a used nismo for sale on this site for like $150.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:10 AM
jim@streetimage

HFC and Y-Pipe are both a good investment you cant go wrong with either one.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:40 AM
illudezion

when you guys say HFC...is that the same as res. and non-res. test pipes?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:04 AM
dgz32

when you guys say HFC...is that the same as res. and non-res. test pipes?
No. HFC = High Flow Cat which 'cleans up' your exhaust gasses. Test pipes (both resonated and non-resonated) are a straight though design that do nothing to filter the exhaust gasses.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:11 AM
mojo powered

Originally Posted by TanabeUSA
One of the highest restriction areas on the 350Z's exhaust system layout lie in the front factory Y-pipe and catalytic converters.

Changing the Y-pipe can net a great increase in whp, depending on the replacement pipe's design and the y-pipe should be one of the very first parts to change if you are looking for noticeable power gains.

We carry a replacement front Y-pipe for the 350Z

You can read more about it in this thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118484

that's a nice looking y-pipe..

I especially like the part where it merges into 1.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:11 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The true dual starts after the cats, so you do replace the Y, but would still have the HFC cost... I changed the Y and mid pipe (kept the OEM muffler). The only thing you get of changing the muffler is different sounds/looks, no HP.

So, tru dual + HFC = $1K or so...
Y pipe + HFC = $600 or so...

I spent the other $400 on headers...

Old 04-21-2005, 04:08 PM
mgl

Originally Posted by slaponte
The true dual starts after the cats, so you do replace the Y, but would still have the HFC cost... I changed the Y and mid pipe (kept the OEM muffler). The only thing you get of changing the muffler is different sounds/looks, no HP.

i have a japtrix midpipe up for sale, if anyone is interested.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119406
Old 04-21-2005, 04:46 PM
xephiron

Originally Posted by slaponte

I think a full exhaust system still has weight loss advantages over this as well, so $400 for +2 HP and -10? lbs is worth the extra to me for the performance factor. Assuming you are staying Y-piped. TD will flow more, especially on a modded car. Still have looks and sound preferences to debate. Good point though, stock cats and Y-pipe are definitely the bottlenecks.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:10 PM
illudezion

i guess it time to order some HFC and a y-pipe
Old 04-24-2005, 04:59 PM
tekneq

i have hfc and tanabe y-pipe on way for installation on thursday..will let you know results.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:27 PM
zman23

I have a Gruppe-S Y-pipe thats going to be installed soon to my exsisting Magnaflow exhaust. I'll let u know what the difference will be once I drop the OEM y-pipe.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:56 PM
ReavTek

I have a Fujitsubo Y-pipe and Stillen Test Pipes. The TPs provided a noticable gain while the Y-pipe didn't seem to do anything, but im sure its good for 8 horses or so. I do think you should consider a good exhaust system later on as the aftermarket y-pipes have larger inlets and outlets and so when connected to an OEM unit won't perform to their full potential. Tanabe offers an affordable exhaust setup (Super Medallion Hyper - mid pipe and muffler) for around $670 shipped (Intense Motorsports). Apex'i World Sport 2 is another inexpensive option as I have seen them for $480 shipped!

Quick Reply: Y pipes