Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

explain WHY the JWT pop charger and Injen Sp1986 works so well??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 11:54 AM
tulene

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cut drilled holes out of the stock air box. much louder, tho not as loud as the popcharger. feels faster too, though. . . .
Old 07-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Blue_pen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you use to insulate that pop charger. Or does anyone else have a clue what was used to insulate the pop charger?
Old 07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
ZlleH

I'm paying $109 for the JWT popcharger for the aggresive sound, the 6 hp is an added bonus. Plus, the more airflow I get with the popcharger will go nicely with the Borla true dual exhaust I'm getting on Wednesday.

I think the popcharger ($109) is a good compromise between keeping the stock CIA ($0) to buying a aftermarket CIA ($300)

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
Intakes... The stock one is well designed on this car, it's already a CAI! Save your money for something that matters.

Last edited by ZlleH; 07-11-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:02 PM
cvt

i dunno..it just seems that many people keep saying that the intake and exhaust system on the Z are so efficient that gains from aftermarket products to replace them won't exhibit too much gains...
Old 07-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by cvt
i dunno..it just seems that many people keep saying that the intake and exhaust system on the Z are so efficient that gains from aftermarket products to replace them won't exhibit too much gains...
They are pretty efficient but there are definite gains with my popcharger and I just recently added a 3/8ths in. plenum spacer and can tell a big difference.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Fletch69z

What do you use to insulate the heat shield and aluminum parts of the pop charger? Thanks!
Fletch
Old 07-11-2005, 03:45 PM
ZlleH

Once again, the Borla true dual exhaust I bought was for the aggresive sound, the 23 HP gain is an added bonus.

If I just wanted perforamnce, I would have saved up for a turbo charger or super charger.

I will also order a motordyne 1/4 spacer, now that is definately for HP only and not for sound or look

I'm hoping to gain at least 30 HP with the popcharger, the borla true dual exhaust, and the 1/4 spacer.

popcharger claims to be 6 HP
the borla true dual exhaust claim 23
and the spacer claim 10

I'll be happy with just 25 to 30 more HP gain from the whole setup. I think that is pretty realistic... anyone think otherwise? I'd like to get a feel for what I should expect.

Originally Posted by cvt
Old 07-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Once again, the Borla true dual exhaust I bought was for the aggresive sound, the 23 HP gain is an added bonus.

If I just wanted perforamnce, I would have saved up for a turbo charger or super charger.

I will also order a motordyne 1/4 spacer, now that is definately for HP only and not for sound or look

I'm hoping to gain at least 30 HP with the popcharger, the borla true dual exhaust, and the 1/4 spacer.

popcharger claims to be 6 HP
the borla true dual exhaust claim 23
and the spacer claim 10

I'll be happy with just 25 to 30 more HP gain from the whole setup. I think that is pretty realistic... anyone think otherwise? I'd like to get a feel for what I should expect.
I would say that it is definitely possible. From my spacer and popcharger alone I got about a 15 WHP increase. Not a huge difference but defninitely noticable and good bang for the buck. Headers would really help to complete the system and probably free up the max HP.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:52 PM
DaveO
Sponsor

Great bit of info there.

What did you guys use to insulate the aluminum area of the popcharger?

Also, it looks like you also use the same material to insulate the plastic stock tubing as well. Is that correct?

And finally, did you find it necessary to insulate the heat barrier that came with the popcharger?
1) Thermo-Tec Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier - 24 in. x 12 in. Sheet. (Summit Racing #THE-13575 - $18.00)

2) Yes. And the intake tube.

3) No. It might help a little. (My gut feeling was no benefit due to the amount of hot air that was ingested at low speeds - as read from the ECM Intake Air Temperature Sensor signal)

While not as pretty as some would like, here two pictures of my G35's Short Ram Cold Air Intake. Tests prove it is a true CAI. IMO it's easier to insulate the stock or Stillen 350Z air intake systems.

Last edited by DaveO; 07-11-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:03 PM
zzzya

Some of you are smoking crack with your ricer addition!! There is no way the Borla is gaining 23hp on this car in NA form!! I think it was somewhere in the 8-9 range if I remember back that far. The plenum spacer or plenums make a big difference closest to redline but they do not add to the overall HP/TQ curve that well. The intakes are marginal on a stock car and help much more on a more modified car. A good set of headers will make a nice improvement across the HP/TQ curve that you will actually feel. This is a challenging car to mod and tell the difference in NA form. I have spent a **** load of money on my car to honestly not get where I would ever thought I would end up. If I had it all over to do again I would no choose another path, suspension, brakes, proper FI (I probably would have saved some money in the end that way and had 200 more HP and TQ!)
Old 07-11-2005, 06:42 PM
ZlleH

I appreaciate your views, but I don't like you calling putting on a CIA/spacer/exhaust a "ricer" thing to do? What is ricer about that? I jsut got the car two months ago and have enjoyed the stock part of it. Now I would like to personalize the car to my taste.

This is the first step in a loooooong step for me to get the car setup the way I would like it to be. I think this is pretty good for only Two months of owning the car.

I think people who use the word "ricer" on this forum is like those people on IRC using the word "lame". After a while, they use the word 'lame" on everything and it makes themselves look ridiculous. I believe "ricer" on this forum is a cop out.

I don't judge people who put huge amounts of money in their stero system or people who go all out on whole body kits to make their car totally look different. That is not me, but I don't call them "ricers". I use this forum to gather ideas and information on what to do to my car to suit MY idividual need.

btw:
Next year will be dropping the car/ replacing bumper with one with lip and cold air intake hole through the bumper.
2nd year: new rims
3rd year: headers
4th year: tranny cooler
5th year: nismo side skirt and back bumper lips
6th year: loan will be paid off so a super charger and get the ECU flash

Good 6 year plan? any suggestions on the order or things to do? I'm a half bred I'm into performance as well as looks.

Originally Posted by zzzya
Some of you are smoking crack with your ricer addition!! There is no way the Borla is gaining 23hp on this car in NA form!! I think it was somewhere in the 8-9 range if I remember back that far. The plenum spacer or plenums make a big difference closest to redline but they do not add to the overall HP/TQ curve that well. The intakes are marginal on a stock car and help much more on a more modified car. A good set of headers will make a nice improvement across the HP/TQ curve that you will actually feel. This is a challenging car to mod and tell the difference in NA form. I have spent a **** load of money on my car to honestly not get where I would ever thought I would end up. If I had it all over to do again I would no choose another path, suspension, brakes, proper FI (I probably would have saved some money in the end that way and had 200 more HP and TQ!)

Last edited by ZlleH; 07-11-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:44 PM
ZlleH

Thanks a lot! once again, great information provided! And pictures to boot! Nice

Originally Posted by DaveO
1) Thermo-Tec Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier - 24 in. x 12 in. Sheet. (Summit Racing #THE-13575 - $18.00)

2) Yes. And the intake tube.

3) No. It might help a little. (My gut feeling was no benefit due to the amount of hot air that was ingested at low speeds - as read from the ECM Intake Air Temperature Sensor signal)

While not as pretty as some would like, here two pictures of my G35's Short Ram Cold Air Intake. Tests prove it is a true CAI. IMO it's easier to insulate the stock or Stillen 350Z air intake systems.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:50 PM
1nate7

Zzzya did not say they are ricer mods. He was commenting on a common practice called "ricer math", where you add up all the manufacturers claimed horsepower increases. After attending 2 dyno days, I would make an educated guess you will get 10-15 WHP on the top end. I also don't feel these mods are worthless and its nice to build the car to suit your taste, so go for it. Just don't expect big gains from NA mods or believe all the manufacturer's hype.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:19 PM
xxlbeerZ

I'm paying $109 for the JWT popcharger for the aggresive sound, the 6 hp is an added bonus. Plus, the more airflow I get with the popcharger will go nicely with the Borla true dual exhaust I'm getting on Wednesday.

I think the popcharger ($109) is a good compromise between keeping the stock CIA ($0) to buying a aftermarket CIA ($300)

Having the car die at high speeds is so worth $109.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:26 PM
ZlleH

Can you go into more detail then that? This is the first time I have heard anyone mention this about the popcharger.

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
Having the car die at high speeds is so worth $109.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:07 PM
cvt

i think what we need are more independent dynos...most people are going off of manufacturer's dynos that can easily be manipulated. we need dynos taken on the same day and are SAE corrected.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:15 PM
gatti-man

If anyone wants to lend me their dyno near austin tx id be happy to take my stock Z in then come back like 4 hours later with a crawford plenum and Borla true dual on and see some gains!
Old 07-12-2005, 02:28 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap man!!!

I could never wait 6 years to finish moding up any car. The same day I buy the car, I'm dusting off my credit card and racking up $5,000 in mods. Neat thing is I'm selling my truck which will pay for most of that :-D

Old 07-12-2005, 03:13 AM
zzzya

I appreaciate your views, but I don't like you calling putting on a CIA/spacer/exhaust a "ricer" thing to do? What is ricer about that? I jsut got the car two months ago and have enjoyed the stock part of it. Now I would like to personalize the car to my taste.

This is the first step in a loooooong step for me to get the car setup the way I would like it to be. I think this is pretty good for only Two months of owning the car.

I think people who use the word "ricer" on this forum is like those people on IRC using the word "lame". After a while, they use the word 'lame" on everything and it makes themselves look ridiculous. I believe "ricer" on this forum is a cop out.

I don't judge people who put huge amounts of money in their stero system or people who go all out on whole body kits to make their car totally look different. That is not me, but I don't call them "ricers". I use this forum to gather ideas and information on what to do to my car to suit MY idividual need.

btw:
Next year will be dropping the car/ replacing bumper with one with lip and cold air intake hole through the bumper.

Good 6 year plan? any suggestions on the order or things to do? I'm a half bred I'm into performance as well as looks.
I was talking about the "math" being used to add up the gains. All of the gains from these mods have been posted many times over the years. I am not completely disappointed with the gains I have, but for the money I wish I could have yielded a lot more. Plus, at this time I continue to have tuning issues, yes even NA, with the mods that I have. Hopefully a reasonable standalone or piggyback unit will be available that can do everything needed to tune an NA engine. I wish there was someone in the midwest that could reflash our ECUs.