Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Test Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Omega Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Pipes?

Hi, I was wondering what brand of test pipes you guys recommend? Is it going to make the CEL come on? Any negative side effects?? We don't get DEQ'd here where I live, so emmisions are not an issue! Thanks guys!!!

-Mario
Old 08-04-2005, 05:07 PM
RED HOT Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally would recommend you go for high flow cats instead unless you are FI. The test pipes are to raspy unless you like that and you will have no back pressure which could hurt your HP.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Miraclekidjr
Banned

Are you saying that they hurt your HP??
Old 08-04-2005, 06:36 PM
corsair

I think the best Test Pipes out there are from Labree Motor Sports. They are top quality and the rasp is not bad. I have been waiting for 6 months but finally bought a set today. Ya Hoo!
Old 08-04-2005, 06:37 PM
corsair

Here you go...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=labree
Old 08-07-2005, 11:51 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

I have a set of Kinetixs test pipes resonated ones, and I have no rasp at all none. As far as the Cel, when I installed the pipes I did the "spark plug non fouler mod" and the Cel never came on. I have had the pipes on for about 1K miles and nothing. These pipes gave me 6 pony's and some good torque around 4K rpm, anyways if you want I can post the dyno sheet for you.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by RED HOT Z
I personally would recommend you go for high flow cats instead unless you are FI. The test pipes are to raspy unless you like that and you will have no back pressure which could hurt your HP.
This is not true whatsoever. No offense, you obviously have no clue about the topic but i'll refrain from explaining.

I just swaped mine on and i can definately feel a difference in power and response(i say the cats restrict exhaust flow considerably). Not crazy amount, but you can definately feel it. And although people mention it only makes power only up top in the RPM range, i disagree with this. The upgrade does yield a higher gain in horsepower but a small torque gain also applies. There is rasp, but i love the sound with my exhaust setup. Not for the weak as well. If you don't like your exhaust loud...Forget it unless you stay with the stock exhust setup or decide to go with another quiet aftermarket setup like the Greddy Evo.

My CEL has turned on after 2 hours of install heh, but looks like i'll have to go and look for a o2 sim. It's not a big deal anyways but i do hate seing this light on.

Last edited by Zexy; 08-07-2005 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:48 AM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by Zexy
This is not true whatsoever. No offense, you obviously have no clue about the topic but i'll refrain from explaining.

I just swaped mine on and i can definately feel a difference in power and response(i say the cats restrict exhaust flow considerably). Not crazy amount, but you can definately feel it. And although people mention it only makes power only up top in the RPM range, i disagree with this. The upgrade does yield a higher gain in horsepower but a small torque gain also applies. There is rasp, but i love the sound with my exhaust setup. Not for the weak as well. If you don't like your exhaust loud...Forget it unless you stay with the stock exhust setup or decide to go with another quiet aftermarket setup like the Greddy Evo.

My CEL has turned on after 2 hours of install heh, but looks like i'll have to go and look for a o2 sim. It's not a big deal anyways but i do hate seing this light on.
Well as for me I installed the Helix test pipes and I noticed a lag i power so I took it to GTmotorsports and he told me what I posted above. I decided to switch to crawford High flow cats and I felt a very noticeable difference. I am much happier with these. Hey maybe I'm wrong but what the hell
Old 08-08-2005, 12:07 PM
goaway

so if non foulers are installed with a test pipe 0n an 03'z,o2 sims would not be necasery to keep the cel off?
Old 08-08-2005, 12:17 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, that's correct
Old 08-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Omega Z

whats a "non fouler"????
Old 08-08-2005, 07:13 PM
ReavTek

I have Stillen TPs and had a CEL like once after the install which has never come back... I guess I'm lucky.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Zexy

I have a question about the non foulers.

I have bought long ones at auto zone and there was no chance they fit on my o2 sensors??? Do you need an extension or something?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Faikius

Originally Posted by Zexy
I have a question about the non foulers.

I have bought long ones at auto zone and there was no chance they fit on my o2 sensors??? Do you need an extension or something?
You have to drill the hole on the non-foulers out to 1/2''.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:53 AM
cyphr

given that you bought two packs of the non foulers (4 non foulers total) drill out the outermost non fouler with a 1/2" drill bit. This will give you enough clearance for the 02 sensor
Old 08-10-2005, 03:47 AM
DuPontG35

I just put the helix test pipes on my car and I hear I guess thats what rasp is but its like a vibration sound almost a hissing. Its not a leak but I'm trying to think what it sounds like...like a snake hissing from like 2000-around 4k rpm then it goes away but its a lil annoying. is that rasp? If so I dont know if I can deal with that may have to get hf cats. After 100 miles SRS light is blaring in my face. o2 sensor was too small to fit in the defouler...going to auto zone today to try and get the right one and clear the light!!
Old 08-10-2005, 07:51 AM
ReavTek

That noise is the imfamous test pipe hiss and is normal. I think the minor annoyance is canceled out by the gains you get over HF Cats. I will be removing my TPs eventually and slapping in a long tube header (cat-less) and hopefully that will smooth out the hiss.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:03 AM
chaparro78

Resonators will get rid of the rasp created by test/race pipes. The race pipes usually run 200 where as a resonated test pipe runs 400+. Resonators are 15 a pop. It's personal choice as to what you want to do. I installed race pipes on my car back in '03 so the rasp wasn't well known. I solved the issue by installin resonators. Rasp went away.
Attached Thumbnails Test Pipes?-racepipe.jpg   Test Pipes?-racepipeexhaust.jpg   Test Pipes?-resonator.jpg   Test Pipes?-dualresonators.jpg  

Last edited by chaparro78; 08-10-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:36 AM
theblackpearl

Originally Posted by DuPontG35
I just put the helix test pipes on my car and I hear I guess thats what rasp is but its like a vibration sound almost a hissing. Its not a leak but I'm trying to think what it sounds like...like a snake hissing from like 2000-around 4k rpm then it goes away but its a lil annoying. is that rasp? If so I dont know if I can deal with that may have to get hf cats. After 100 miles SRS light is blaring in my face. o2 sensor was too small to fit in the defouler...going to auto zone today to try and get the right one and clear the light!!
amen brother...THANK YOU...I always hear this rasp thing coming up and didn't know what it was until 1. I just installed my test pipes and 2. you nailed down the sound!!

I drove an STI before this car and I was thinking I had a DP leak haha...*the de-foul's work!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Zexy

Rasp wasp.

Who gives a crap Race caaaawws don't have resonatOrs.

Either way i can care less with the rasp. I have heard Porsche cars with rasp and i still love the sound with my HKS Hi power since it is exotic/higher pitched sounding to start with!

Quick Reply: Test Pipes?