Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 10:30 AM
partshipperdave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can find them here:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132932&page=2

We still beat that price after rebate! ;o)

might want to read the thread carefully. talk of fitment issues, talk of installation issues, talk of dropping the tranny in order to get them in, talk of quality issues with flanges not seating correctly, etc..

I'm not trying to trash talk another company's product as I'm not responsible for the posts in that thread, just trying to shed some light (clarify) about Strup's product that continually gets lumped into the category of all the others out there. When there are subtle but clear differences of quality, design, company backing and customer service/support, etc.. Sometimes it's easy to form an opinion of something without actually having any first hand knowledge or experience.

Of course, that's what these forums are all about - sharing knowledge and experiences, and of course people are going to have good ones and bad ones. For some reason, it's always the bad ones that seem to stick in peoples minds the most... like, when is the next time you're gonna go to Wendy's and order a bowl of chili?! ;oD
Old 08-12-2005, 11:06 AM
L337350

Originally Posted by Beeker
Where can you find Alphawerks for $440.00?

Do you need to lift the motor to install Alphawerks?

How different, perfomance wise, are the Alphawerks compared to the Strupps?

Everything I've read says that Crawford headers are the best but I'm not going to spend over a $1000.00 for a set of headers. I also read the install instructions for the Crawfords. That is a SOB of an install.
1) $450

2) I installed the alphawerks headers myself and did not have to lift the motor

3) I dont know how they are different, but I felt a noticeable gain w/ the alphawerks

4) headers are a B*tch to install... i will never, ever do it again
Old 08-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Wotnot

Default I bought my Alphawerks headers at Avalon

...they have a sale on them right now. $440 shipped. If you read the posts, some guys are getting 10-15 solid out of them.

That's a decent gain for me without the extra hassle of install and cost of crawfords, but I do agree that Crawfords are an excellent choice.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Beeker

I just ordered a set of Strup headers. I will post after I get them installed.

I am going to try to get a before and after dyno done. So far I only have a Pop Charger installed. I need to find a place in RI that does dyno's. A friend of mine at work knows of a place so I am going to check that out. Hopefully, I can get it done so we can all see how much power the Strup headers add.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:28 PM
SH1FT-Z

I just ordered a set of Strup headers. I will post after I get them installed.

I am going to try to get a before and after dyno done. So far I only have a Pop Charger installed. I need to find a place in RI that does dyno's. A friend of mine at work knows of a place so I am going to check that out. Hopefully, I can get it done so we can all see how much power the Strup headers add.
Can't wait to see the dyno graphs!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:45 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

FI setups and cammed VQ's aside -- Headers haven't shown to contribute above and beyond the power gained with increasing flow through the Y-pipe and cats.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Beeker

Well zxsaint I hope your wrong.

I've read a lot about high flow cats/test pipes and y-pipes increasing power but I've also read a lot about headers adding substantial power in the midrange. I realize I'm not going to add a lot of peak hp/tq. I will be happy if they add @10hp at peak, although I am hoping to see a higher increase in the 3500-5500 rpm range. I must say that almost all of the information on headers that I've read was from people who added them to already heavily modded cars; spacers, test pipes, high flow exhausts, etc... I haven't seen any dyno's from members who added headers before changing other items in the exhaust system. Maybe I will be the first.

Hopefully I will be able to get a before and after dyno done to see how much power the Strup headers alone, do or don't, make on a stock exhaust system.

I do plan on getting a Borla TD exhaust eventually but I wanted to start with the headers. Not only do I want to see how much power they make I also want to see how much they change the stock exhaust note.

BTW, I work at a Honda dealership so install expense isn't a real issue. I am going to have a friend of mine, who is a Honda tech, help me install them. He has all the tools I'll need and I will only have to buy him a case of beer for helping me. Having access to a lift and airtools makes installing mods much easier.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:06 AM
the7ferret

I have the strup, installed them last month had a before dyno of 237 but havent gone for the after as 1 im lazy and 2 i work too damm much.

BIG difference in the mid range... Pulled a lot harder, sounds meaner, but not overly agressive. Overall im satified with the purchase, but pay someone to install them.. The DIY install was a PAIN in the *** and I was at my g/f fathers hot rod shop with the help of his mechanics.

The mechanics there were impressed with the build on the Strup and thier made in Pomona, CA, as I have talked with C. Westrup the Owner about the product.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zxsaint
FI setups and cammed VQ's aside -- Headers haven't shown to contribute above and beyond the power gained with increasing flow through the Y-pipe and cats.
+1-find any other NA Z with mods similar to mine + headers and I guarantee you it wont have higher numbers, I know of a few with less whp.....I know it doesnt sound right but like ZX said and I agree, no cams no real gains. Any dyno can be altered to "prove" gains guys. But hey buy them if they make you sleep better at night. With a 107mph trap on stock headers Id say they flow great-show me one NA Z short of cams with even a 106 trap I bet you cant Again guys just my opinion, anybody want to try to prove me wrong with either dyno numbers or trap speeds please do so.....
Old 08-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Beeker

Well I'm not trying to sell anything. I am just a ZR owner who is looking for a bit more power.
I am going to try to get it dynoed before and after. Nothing is going to change except the headers. I am going to go to the same place to have it dynoed. I won't be able to control the ambient temperature but I will record what it is both times I go. If everything goes the way I plan we will have a legitimate, no BS, before and after, header only difference, dyno chart.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:06 AM
thawk408

Originally Posted by Alberto
+1-find any other NA Z with mods similar to mine + headers and I guarantee you it wont have higher numbers, I know of a few with less whp.....I know it doesnt sound right but like ZX said and I agree, no cams no real gains. Any dyno can be altered to "prove" gains guys. But hey buy them if they make you sleep better at night. With a 107mph trap on stock headers Id say they flow great-show me one NA Z short of cams with even a 106 trap I bet you cant Again guys just my opinion, anybody want to try to prove me wrong with either dyno numbers or trap speeds please do so.....
Damn, you trap pretty high for an NA Z. I want you to drive my car at the dragstip.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:28 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Well I'm not trying to sell anything. I am just a ZR owner who is looking for a bit more power.
I am going to try to get it dynoed before and after. Nothing is going to change except the headers. I am going to go to the same place to have it dynoed. I won't be able to control the ambient temperature but I will record what it is both times I go. If everything goes the way I plan we will have a legitimate, no BS, before and after, header only difference, dyno chart.
You'll see gains, around 12-16rwhp. It's just that once those gains are realized, you won't see much more (if any) from the cats and exhaust later.

Considering the NA VQ35 exhaust requirements, the oem exhaust system doesn't really have a serious bottleneck in regards to flow. There's room for improvement in tuning it that usually results in gains of about 15rwhp, but not much past that. My point (and albertos) is that it's much cheaper and easier to get that 15rwhp through modifying the cats and y-pipe.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by thawk408
Damn, you trap pretty high for an NA Z. I want you to drive my car at the dragstip.
Hehe, Id love to drive your 05' track with all those mods but your way out in BFE...btw only took me 262 whp to trap 107 down the 1/4.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:53 AM
thawk408

Originally Posted by Alberto
Hehe, Id love to drive your 05' track with all those mods but your way out in BFE...btw only took me 262 whp to trap 107 down the 1/4.
Well, if you are ever my way give me a shout. I have not gone to the dragstrip yet. I doubt I will get a very good time, as I am not the best person at launching... I would hope to atleast hit mid 13s and if I got real good 12s are always welcomed.

Last edited by thawk408; 08-17-2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:26 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Beeker, I was kind of in your boat last year...wanted to see if just headers and cats alone would make a difference. I had them installed at the same time with no other mods and did notice a slight seat-of-the-pants difference in mostly throttle response and a slight bump in power at high rpm...didn't roll off like stock, but could no way justify the expense even at the group buy prices I paid. I imagine you would feel even less keeping the cats stock.

Wasn't too thrilled until I later installed the plenum spacer and K&N drop-in...then the whole package seemed to pull much harder throughout the entire rpm range with even quicker throttle response, which logically makes sense, since it was previously a lopsided system. So you might notice more than I did initially since you have the Popcharger.

I'm having the Borla TD installed today and unlike most, actually had a baseline dyno pull performed before doing any mods. I will be sure to post before and after dynos since this will likely be the end of my breathing mods.

My point being, to realize more potential power from your investment, you need to change other elements of the engine: be they intake(in my case), exhaust(to prevent a bottleneck), cams(timing) or ecu(AFR). Headers or anything else alone will not be a worthwhile investment in power.

Edit: I found that DC Sports header article that used to float around a lot: "On SP Engineering's Dynojet chassis dyno, the Nissan registered 247.7 hp and 233.3 lb-ft of torque as delivered. With the DC Sports headers in place, the 350Z generated 248.8 hp and 239.2 lb-ft of torque. The real gains were generated in the mid-range where the VQ35DE needs it most, with a gain of 9.1 hp and 12.5 lb-ft of torque." >LINK

Last edited by 350Zenophile; 08-17-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:11 AM
trescincuenta

I recently installed Helix test pipes and a Japtrix Y pipe. I had dyno'd the car before with just the K&N Typhoon intake, and now after. The test pipes and y pipe netted me 10 more whp and 15 more wtq. I am now at 256.6 HP and 245.68 TQ witht he combination of intake, test pipes, and Y pipe. Hopefully Ill be able to break into the mid 260's with the AAM angled plenum spacer and the RS-R ExMagII exhaust which will be my next mods. Im also contemplating the strup headers.....
Old 08-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Beeker

350Zenophile, thanks for the info. I am looking for an increase in the mid range. Everything I've read seems to show that headers do add substantially in the mid range. The only dyno of the strups I've seen shows a huge *edit* TOURQUE gain in the mid range. http://www.partshippers.com/images/DYNO_350Z_Header.gif

My headers where shipped today so I guess I'll see soon enough

Last edited by Beeker; 08-17-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Beeker

I just found a place in Worcester, MA that has a dynojet dyno. They're called New England Dyno and Tuning.

I am going to try to get there on Friday morning to run a few baselines.

I've never dyno'd a car before. Any recommendations are appreciated. I want to make sure I do it correctly so I can get correct, before and after header install, dyno charts.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I just found a place in Worcester, MA that has a dynojet dyno. They're called New England Dyno and Tuning.

I am going to try to get there on Friday morning to run a few baselines.

I've never dyno'd a car before. Any recommendations are appreciated. I want to make sure I do it correctly so I can get correct, before and after header install, dyno charts.
First off if they have a wideband A/F guages pay extra and get some readings. If your car is a 6-speed dyno in 5th, if its an auto dyno in 4th. I have found, and Ive read others have as well, that when i dyno, my last pull is usually the best. I always dyno 3 times, with about 2 minutes in between runs. Besides that have them take it to redline or limiter if you want, and post some numbers when you get it. Good luck. Oh BTW if yuo have TCS or VDC turn it off before you start the dyno. After your VDC/ABS/BRAKE light may be stuck on in the dash. Dont worry just drive around in tight circles a few times both directions and your car will be fine, and you'll be able to switch VDC on/off again.....
Old 08-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Beeker

Thanks Alberto. I have a Grand Touring Roadster. Which is a 6-speed with VDC. I am going Friday morning at 9:30am. They said they will do 3-4 runs and it will include A/F readings for $75.00.
If everything goes as planned I will have before and after header install dyno and A/F charts. That should give us all a good idea of what Strup headers can do and how much they affect the A/F.

Is there anything else I should know? I hate being a noob and I don't want to ask or do something stupid.
I remember before I bought my 18' fishing boat, I asked a salesman at a boat show how you get gas. I thought you had to carry 5 gallon containers down to the docks to fill it up. I didn't know there was such a thing as a gas dock. My friends still laugh at me to this day for that dumb question!

Quick Reply: Will a set of headers actually make a noticeable difference?