Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Newly released Skunk2 plenum

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 02:26 PM
KTaylor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So would this fit under an aftermarket strut tower or not? if not could you put spacers under the strut tower to make it fit and still have everything fit under the stock hood?
Old 09-15-2005, 05:03 AM
DomZ

I really feel that a spacer should be made with fins or even make it wider than it should be....hell we could even run coolant thru it....lol
Old 09-15-2005, 12:58 PM
sisco534

I think it wont work without no strut bar or you cant close your hood. And I will not do without stut bar, maybe they can come up with somthing , I kinda like AAM ANGLED SPACER.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:02 PM
nosser

i almost ordered this plenum too, but I would like to have one that would clear the stock strut bar or as least a real cheap effective strut bar.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KTaylor
So would this fit under an aftermarket strut tower or not? if not could you put spacers under the strut tower to make it fit and still have everything fit under the stock hood?
well, if the md 1/2" requires stock sb removal...
Old 09-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down

Skunk2 at its finest!

http://infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtop...r=asc&start=25
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Just want to make it clear that the Skunk2 spacer didn't melt and this guy used silcon on it.

Also, this idea has been proven to work in Honda, Mitsu, and Subaru. We have used many intake manifold gasket when building engines but we never had any melted.

Tom
Old 09-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
Just want to make it clear that the Skunk2 spacer didn't melt and this guy used silcon on it.

Also, this idea has been proven to work in Honda, Mitsu, and Subaru. We have used many intake manifold gasket when building engines but we never had any melted.

Tom
Hey Tom,

Can you send us a link or something of the like to Skunk2's installation instructions?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Here is a quote posted from the other forum:

ok, I got mine today. I don't really like the way you have to apply silicone all over the place. What kind of silicone did you use? Was it meant for hot temperatures or engines? and did you let it dry fully before starting it? I should be installing mine in a week or so. Update us..Thanks
Does skunk2 instruct to put on silicone and also to drain coolant?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:27 PM
jedi-z

Yea it does Rickdogg..I just received mine 2day...Another friend of mine here in town got one also , were installing it 2morrow night..If every thing goes smooth and there is a decent gain achived I'll put mine on...4some reason I have douts...
Old 09-29-2005, 06:41 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DomZ
I really feel that a spacer should be made with fins or even make it wider than it should be....hell we could even run coolant thru it....lol

running coolant thru it will heat up the spacer - not what you want

besides, the OEM lower plenum has coolant that runs thru it near the throttlebody to warm up the throttle plate to make sure it doesn't stick

Otherwise running coolant thru the plenum will make the plenum hot because the coolant is hotter than the plenum. Coolant is good at cooling the piston chambers and heads because (duh) they're hot as hell

the SSV removes the coolant hose from going thru the plenum. So for warm climates that's a good thing. For colder or freezing climates that's bad
Old 09-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by jedi-z
Yea it does Rickdogg..I just received mine 2day...Another friend of mine here in town got one also , were installing it 2morrow night..If every thing goes smooth and there is a decent gain achived I'll put mine on...4some reason I have douts...
Hey Jedi,

Yeah as in both the coolant drainage and silicone suggestion or one of the two? Also, there should be some gains theoretically, but I would be concerned with the longevity at this point since it seems as though they are just jumping on the Z & G wagon to capitalize monetarily with a crappy product. Thanks once again for sharing the knowledge you have in bettering this forum
Old 09-30-2005, 06:55 AM
King Tut

Haha its just like every other spacer. You should be using 2 OEM gaskets to get good seal and no sealant of any kind. If they don't provide a second gasket I would get my own or at least use a proper sealant like Nissan's or the grey RTV sealant. There is nothing special here and any product can suffer from user and installer error. Coolant should not even be involved in the install. I'm thinking maybe FX owners should not be modifying their SUVs if they can't handle a simple plenum spacer install without screwing it up.

Last edited by King Tut; 09-30-2005 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:02 AM
jedi-z

Rick dogg...Yea it's both the silicone and the coolant..the silicone is only recomended but probably not a bad idea.. 2 nights the install on my friends car so I'll be posting later on to share how it went...thanks
Old 09-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jedi-z
Rick dogg...Yea it's both the silicone and the coolant..the silicone is only recomended but probably not a bad idea.. 2 nights the install on my friends car so I'll be posting later on to share how it went...thanks
Thanks for the info. I wonder why Skunk2 would recommend draining the coolant? More money for the installers to make?
Old 10-01-2005, 12:05 AM
95civicgsr

we just did an install on an 05 350z. we did use silicon but didnt drain the coolant and the owner wasnt really worried about replacing the strut tower tonight but clearances is an issue with it. another issue we ran into was hood clearance with the injen c/a intake,the hood was hitting the intake pipe at the elbow off of the t/b. we worked it out but i wish there would have been a better way than what we did to make it work. i drive a couple of hondas with several skunk2 products and i always recommend them to friends,the install was fairly easy and the directions were easy to follow as well but better quality pics would be helpful. jedi z lmk when you will be ready to put yours on.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:05 AM
jedi-z

We just installed my friends skunk2 spacer...install took about an hour long...Its not to bad of a mod the only thing I did'nt like about it was the sealant, but it was not that bad..We didnt drain the coolant and it worked out just fine...He's runing a injen cai and there was trouble closing the hood there's a metal piece on the hood right where the hood meets the throttle body that needs to be cut to make the hood close right...Not 2 many impressions yet , he's waiting till 2morrow to get on it , he did say on the way home there was a pretty nice gain going half throttle..btw he did throw a cel...not sure why....would you choose a crawford plenum or spacer? my friend still has his 4 sale I'm tempted to return the spacer pay the extra 100bucks and put the plenum on...I think the full plenum will work better with my pop charger/
Old 10-01-2005, 03:11 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

A few people are jumping ship after ordering on other forums. I guess skunk2 made a mistake in trying to release a crappy product for our VQ's. Good riddance
Old 10-01-2005, 08:08 PM
King Tut

Yeah we have some Z specialty shops making quality spacers so I don't see why Skunk2 would make this its entry into the 350Z money pit. I would stick with the AAM angled spacer and use the OEM strut bar, but thats just cause thats what I did.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:11 PM
jedi-z

Yea im taking mine back ..And buying my friends crawford plenum...I think it's a good choice.

Quick Reply: Newly released Skunk2 plenum