Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Aesthetics Vs. Performance: Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Kam350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aesthetics Vs. Performance: Is it worth it?

I was planning on purchasing the HKS Hi-Power exhaust in two weeks. This exhaust is gorgeous, sounds amazing, and has good power gains. Only one drawback: 1500 dollars. Thing is, I only have 1650 to spend on performance right now, and I want to get the best performance increase for my money.

As far as strictly performance, I could get the Apexi WS exhaust (get a few HP), get the UR Pulley Set (a few more HP), get a new plenum, and be making better hp than just the HKS alone. Even though the setup wont look as nice as the HKS, it will have more power.

Help me out here. What are your thoughts? Should I just buy the HKS? Or should I get the above mods and get the extra hp. What do you guys think? Is the HKS worth all that damn money?

Last edited by Kam350z; 02-05-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:34 PM
onebadfyvo

Here's the thing, if you don't buy it now, will you buy it eventually? From your statement, it sounds like it's the exhaust YOU want, whatever mods you include before or after.

I'll be honest, I love mine and I have no regrets about buying it. But there is no way that the exhaust (from a mass production standpoint) is worth $1500.00. It's all about the demand, and if YOU'RE willing to pay that much money for it. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with going step by step. But I believe in quality over quantity. I rather take mini-steps with quality products that I truly want, than take giant leaps with parts that I don't wholeheartedly desire. At the end, the car will either be comprised of everything you've ever dreamed of, or just a nice car that you put together quickly.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Kam350z

I see what you're saying Nitrouz. Sometimes I ask myself "Why am I doing these upgrades? Are they really worth all the money I'm putting into it?" In all honestly, I'm not a street racer or anything like that. If a race comes up, and its worth it, then I might race, but I don't do it that often. So I'm not even sure about how much money I will spend on this car in the longrun. The reason I'm looking at the Plenum, Apexi WS, and UR pulley set is that they all comply with the Turbonetics ST (if I ever decide to get it). And I could have all three of those upgrades for now, and have decent gains in HP while I continue to save for FI. And even if I don't go for the FI, those three upgrades will give me an advantage against stock Z's.

I have two weeks to decide on what I'm going to do with my money, so I'll be doing a lot of thinking until then.

As far as comparing the Apexi WS to the HKS HiPower (I know the quality of the HKS is much higher from what you guys say), how comparable are the HP gains? I haven't seen too many people with the Apexi WS ... so I was wondering about the gains.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:01 PM
papag1

i had the Apexi WS2 on my 350. I loveddd it. good gains from what I remember and comnplimented with test pipes it was WOW. stock sounding at first WOT it rocked. It hass really good fit and finish too and Apexi has very good quality parts as well. 1500 is steep as hell tho, even though its great exhaust
Old 02-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Kam350z

Cool. So the apexi is a nice exhaust then. The idea of test pipes crosses my mind every day, but the thought of constant rasp and the interior smelling like *** all the time isn't too appealing. But the gains with TP are soo good ... Idk what to do.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kam350z
I see what you're saying Nitrouz. Sometimes I ask myself "Why am I doing these upgrades? Are they really worth all the money I'm putting into it?" In all honestly, I'm not a street racer or anything like that. If a race comes up, and its worth it, then I might race, but I don't do it that often. So I'm not even sure about how much money I will spend on this car in the longrun. The reason I'm looking at the Plenum, Apexi WS, and UR pulley set is that they all comply with the Turbonetics ST (if I ever decide to get it). And I could have all three of those upgrades for now, and have decent gains in HP while I continue to save for FI. And even if I don't go for the FI, those three upgrades will give me an advantage against stock Z's.

I have two weeks to decide on what I'm going to do with my money, so I'll be doing a lot of thinking until then.

As far as comparing the Apexi WS to the HKS HiPower (I know the quality of the HKS is much higher from what you guys say), how comparable are the HP gains? I haven't seen too many people with the Apexi WS ... so I was wondering about the gains.
I am the same way. People might think I'm stupid for spending so much on my car, but honestly I don't do it to show off. I've only been to 1 car show as of yet. I don't do it to speed...I always drive on or under the speed limit on the streets (unless someone REALLY pisses me off of course). I don't drive it to get girls...I'm in a commited long term relationship. The reason why I spent so much?? Cuz whenever i walk into my garage in the morning, the sight of something comprising of everything I wanted in one package just puts a grin on my face.

At one point I really wanted and needed a true dual, and wanted the HKS. It was backordered, and I even offered in the "vendor wanted" section to pay $2000 for anyone with these in stock. I know that's way over sticker, but I wasn't paying for the exhaust...I was paying for that perfect automobile utopia in my garage. To me, that's priceless.

So it's ultimately up to you. Nothing wrong with taking it slow. But imo the mistake would be to regret in the long run. If you won't regret it, then by all means, go for it. But only you can answer that.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:23 PM
papag1

actually the Test Pipe smell isnt that bad. you get used to it. Also its only present when your outside the car or when your windows are down and just chiling at a light. Rasp is really not that bad. I liked it w/ that exhaust. Also you can get resonated test pipes, ,or high flow cats.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Kam350z

I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Nitrouz, once again I can see where you're coming from. I have the track model, and all it has on it is the veilside spoiler. But, something about my car makes me feel different. I see other Z's all the time, but for some reason my car just gives me that feeling like "Wow, you're mine, and you're BEEAAUUTIFUL." You know what I'm saying? Every morning I wake up, look out my window and fall in love with the car all over again. Deciding on what to do is going to be hard, but all you're opinions help. Once again, thanks.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

get the HKS then other stuff later.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Dubai

I have heard nothing but good things about the HKS exhaust, go for it..
Old 02-06-2006, 05:45 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most of us work with a mod budget, and the spending choices are endless. The latest hot mod goes in cycles. Today it is the HKS Hi-Power exhaust. Six months from now it will be something else. I recommend that you

a. Set a budget.
b. Decide what configuration you want. Single. Dual. One or two mufflers. Y-pipe?
c. Shop for catback exhaust systems which meets your budget and selection criteria.
d. Pick your favorite.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Leo14

What about the Nismo exhaust. I got it for $600 from ebay (don't know if he is still selling them though). Sounds good and you will still have money left over. Just a thought.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Kam350z

Nismo is cool and all, but the way the HKS looks and sounds is worlds apart from other exhausts. I decided today ... HKS for sure. I'll just take it slow. I'd rather get what I really want and wait for it instead of getting something I kind of want now.

Once I get it, I'll put tons of pics of my car and video's of the exhaust in all different situations. Later.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Will Pwr

Though I might be biased....but I just installed my HKS and it made a world of a difference with the power characteristics of the car...it definately wants to rev faster, more hp and torque, and sounds very mellow at idle and then sounds deep and agressive under throttle.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:49 AM
GQ 350z

Originally Posted by nitrouz
I am the same way. People might think I'm stupid for spending so much on my car, but honestly I don't do it to show off. I've only been to 1 car show as of yet. I don't do it to speed...I always drive on or under the speed limit on the streets (unless someone REALLY pisses me off of course). I don't drive it to get girls...I'm in a commited long term relationship. The reason why I spent so much?? Cuz whenever i walk into my garage in the morning, the sight of something comprising of everything I wanted in one package just puts a grin on my face.
+ 350 That's EXACTLY ME. Besides the relationship part as of yesterday, so let the pimpin continue!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Kam350z

Went with the HKS. Ordered it today. Getting it installed next saturday. CAN'T WAIT.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:46 AM
NismoNitsuj

I have the same problem right now. I can get an inexpensive exhaust, a plenum spacer, or sway bars. I change my mind daily, but in actuality, the only thing I know for sure that I want is the spacer. This thread just cemented that.

Get what you know you want, save up for the rest.