Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix plenum shoot out / Stock car / plus more

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I have told ALL of my customers from day one..there is a reason we do not sell or install ANYTHING made by Kinetix..Customers have brought us in Kinetix crap and paid us to install it, with me upfront telling them it was junk..Its amazing the crap people will buy, and the mods that actually make HP dont sell for s h i t .
IMO that Kinetix crap is designed with being a paper weight in mind, caus thats all its good for..Chrome plated goodness..Blig bling muthfaka!!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Nissan spent a lot of precious development time and $$$ refining the lengths and diameters of their intake runners to get every drop of performance out of it.

Other than a few minor flow restrictions leading into the mouth of the runners, (easily fixed by the usual plenum mods) they did an excellent job on the runner internal geometry.

As you can see from the results plotted above, taking an "off the shelf tube diameter" and optimizing to its best length won't necessarily provide the best results.

There will also be an optimum diameter associated with an optimum length... and Nissan nailed it.

Props to Nissan for taking the time to refine our stock runner geometry.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:15 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Like I have told ALL of my customers from day one..there is a reason we do not sell or install ANYTHING made by Kinetix..Customers have brought us in Kinetix crap and paid us to install it, with me upfront telling them it was junk..Its amazing the crap people will buy, and the mods that actually make HP dont sell for s h i t .
IMO that Kinetix crap is designed with being a paper weight in mind, caus thats all its good for..Chrome plated goodness..Blig bling muthfaka!!

Your best post to date...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:30 PM
taurran

I've seen two cars in the past month with FI kits installed on out of the box tunes that have gone into 9:1 AFR's with the SSV installed. It simply flows like ***.

When you're making power with the SSV and tune, you're not actually making power from the SSV, it's all from the tune. You can take bad components and installs and tune around them but in the end you're just polishing a turd.

Nice comparison Aceman. I'd still like to see someone do a comparison with some of the other upper plenum mods and spacers. Hopefully that will come in time.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:51 PM
cvt

Originally Posted by aceman
The V5 did really well over stock with a nice gain through out the power band.

The SSV actually did worse than stock. If you look at the end of the dyno there is a blip which makes the SSV have higher HP. Which it did not, it was a error on the dyno.

STOCK = Blue
Kinetix V5 = RED
SSV = Green

Later
Aceman
it looks like the plastic plenum didn't do too bad...at least it gained throughout a wide band...but yeah $300 for 5whp ...then again people have paid almost 2K for 15whp for cams..so....
Old 08-10-2006, 01:44 PM
dougrace zs

Originally Posted by aceman
Hey there Vandyz

What is the size of the opening on your plenum?

The Ported Throttle body i am using now is 2mm oversize at 72mm, with the inlet enlarged to 78mm.

And i would also like to get a larger MAF housing to see what kind of gains i could get out of using that. I do have the UTEC, so i believe i could get everything to work with time on the dyno

Thanks
Aceman
The stock plenum opening is 70 mm the cast plenum opening is 74 mm, the tube in the pic provided is appox 75 mm. The larger tube will definitely mess with the AFM but provide alot more air.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:48 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do i get one of those tubes

Thanks for the numbers Doug

Later
Aceman

Originally Posted by dougrace zs
The stock plenum opening is 70 mm the cast plenum opening is 74 mm, the tube in the pic provided is appox 75 mm. The larger tube will definitely mess with the AFM but provide alot more air.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:24 PM
dougrace zs

I have only made one at the moment hence the expermental sticker we are tring a much larger tube for a larger throttle body so this one might eventually come off.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:06 PM
tywinter

bump
Old 08-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dougrace zs
I have only made one at the moment hence the expermental sticker we are tring a much larger tube for a larger throttle body so this one might eventually come off.
Doug
Have you tried the Q45 80+mm non DBW throttle body?
Autech the quasi factory Nissan tuner (they do a lot of factory work) are using one on there modded 350.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:00 PM
punish_her

The SSV would actualy be the best for those wanting a quasi- direct port nitrous. You have each of the individual runners and they are long enough to let it atomize and mix with the air fine.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:20 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Much respect to this post. The SSV hasnt shown any numbers turboed or supercharged to back the $900 price tag. If someone has proof of booted numbers that the SSV gave them post, but until Mr. Grand-tourismo gets proof, this posting is the best I have ever seen, non-bias and economical.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:18 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT
Much respect to this post. The SSV hasnt shown any numbers turboed or supercharged to back the $900 price tag. If someone has proof of booted numbers that the SSV gave them post, but until Mr. Grand-tourismo gets proof, this posting is the best I have ever seen, non-bias and economical.

Thanks

It was a fun test, i enjoyed spending time on the dyno and seeing what each mod did to a stock car. I have a few other things working. I will post it up once i get everything dynoed.

Later
Aceman
Old 09-02-2006, 08:39 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT
Well , I can show you a car in which the SSV plenum has leaked and will not ley make proper boost levels... St mating surfaces on the SSV are no where near machined right, and mounting it without vacume or boost leaks is nearly impossible. We had a customer call Kinetix in regards to it not sealing properly and they told him to utilize silicone to seal it..
I once again go on record as saying kinetix=Crapnetix..
Old 09-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by punish_her
The SSV would actualy be the best for those wanting a quasi- direct port nitrous. You have each of the individual runners and they are long enough to let it atomize and mix with the air fine.
but the problem is the penum does not flow more air than stock and does not seal properly on most cars..Why bother??
Old 10-11-2006, 06:29 PM
wren57
Banned

Great tests, gotta bump this thread for others!

Just curious, did you test with constant coolant temps and did you use a fan or anything like that to simulate speed? Seems like the SSV was still making power at redline while the other setups seemed to dropoff. I think a higher redline would benefit the SSV, as well as a tune. I'll have to wait on my UTEC tune numbers with my setup, whenever I get around to that trip to GA.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:39 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by wren57
Great tests, gotta bump this thread for others!

Just curious, did you test with constant coolant temps and did you use a fan or anything like that to simulate speed? Seems like the SSV was still making power at redline while the other setups seemed to dropoff. I think a higher redline would benefit the SSV, as well as a tune. I'll have to wait on my UTEC tune numbers with my setup, whenever I get around to that trip to GA.

Hey Wren,

Nope, did not check Coolent temps. But there was a fan in front.

The SSV lost power, if you look at the dyno closely it shows a blip at the end. That was a error on the dyno. I have since call the shop back and was able to figure out the real numbers for that pull. Posted on the first page.

I have bought the crawford plenum and did do a dyno with all my mods and the SSV. So i will do a comparison between the two. Just wont have a same day dyno between them, but everything else is the same.

Later
Aceman
Old 10-11-2006, 08:56 PM
mchapman

Good work.

Did you have any issues with the ported throttle body and idleing or the stock computer?

Last edited by mchapman; 10-11-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:09 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Originally Posted by mchapman
Good work.

Did you have any issues with the ported throttle body and idleing or the stock computer?

Nope, no issues at all while idleing.

I had it ported by ProFlow.

Later
Aceman
Old 10-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Great comparison man, love to see independent people test items for the betterment of the 350Z community..Its nice to see an independent DYNO test unlike the one that was in "impot Tuner" a while ago, the same magazine that adds a $450 JDM "YO!" Grounding kit to every single build up and claims it makes 5 whp to justfy a box of 10 guage wires for $450..
On a side note, whenever you see a magazine do a dyno test of a product with amazing gains, go directly to the back of the magazine where it list the advertiser index and see who is a paying advertiser

Quick Reply: Kinetix plenum shoot out / Stock car / plus more