Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Fully custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 09:46 AM
passanis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fully custom exhaust

Has anyone built a fully custom exhaust? My cousin is telling me that it is crazy to spend $1,000 on a system when his buddy (owns a shop) can build a better one from scratch for less. I guess he would just use tubing, glass packs, tips, etc.

Is this b.s.? It seems like everyone here has some exhaust system.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:51 AM
first350

it's been asked alot...you can search around for detailed answer...but the short answer is:

custom ehxuast - you get something custom that no one else has and it *can* cost less...but you don't know what it's going to sound like and may have to redo it a few times to get it how you'd like it...which could cost more in the end.

manufactored exhaust: you may pay more (b/c some-one took the time to desing it), but you can usualy hear sound clips before buying it, so you're more likley to like it and not need to change. Also, power gains can be found prior to buying it.

I choose AAM's 3" single b/c I like the sound, perforamce increase was great, not that many ppl have it around my area, and their stuff is top notch (welds, materials, customer service...) - but to each his own.

-Peter
Old 03-03-2007, 09:54 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Originally Posted by passanis
Has anyone built a fully custom exhaust? My cousin is telling me that it is crazy to spend $1,000 on a system when his buddy (owns a shop) can build a better one from scratch for less. I guess he would just use tubing, glass packs, tips, etc.

Is this b.s.? It seems like everyone here has some exhaust system.

Thanks.
You can build an exhaust for about $600 - but remember, mandrel bending and R&D will never be behind that system, to make it proven in performance, sound and overall quality of built and workmanship. He may mandrel bend the tubes - and if so...how many of these cars has be built systems for? How many has he dyno'd and tested to make sure the configuration he would give you would not only work well, but even sound like anything you want.

If he hasn't done many, or any, he'll be shooting in the dark, and you'll spend even more than that $1k, as you modify it and do it over several times, until your fed up and you finally buy one instead.

Do it right the first time and save money overall. Buy a Stillen, HKS or Fast Intentions...the top 3 on the market, for a reason.

Rick
Old 03-03-2007, 11:04 AM
passanis

Appreciate the quick reply, guys. Don't I basically want to get the highest flow? All he needs to do is get a certain diameter pipe (2.5 or 3", but not too big) or whatever and go back as straight as possible, right? I could be way off here, but is it that complicated? What performance does the nismo muffler add as opposed to just going straight?
Old 03-03-2007, 11:13 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Originally Posted by passanis
Appreciate the quick reply, guys. Don't I basically want to get the highest flow? All he needs to do is get a certain diameter pipe (2.5 or 3", but not too big) or whatever and go back as straight as possible, right? I could be way off here, but is it that complicated? What performance does the nismo muffler add as opposed to just going straight?
Sure - go ahead and just get large pipe and a few mufflers - and enjoy the enormous amount of drone and obnoxious rasp you'll get...if that's what you want. If so, I hope you have a munch of aspirin handy

Really though - it's not THAT simple, and if you don't know the flow characteristics and how the engine really works on these cars, you'll spend a lot of money getting exactly what you don't want. If it was that easy, you wouldn't have a dozen specialty designed systems out there that almost everybody buys.

There are a few who have done custom systems, and kept them, as far as I know, and they are really happy with them. It doesn't mean they perform well and remember that sound is completely subjective to everyone.

Also keep in mind - just because you see one of these exhausts in a picture, doesn't mean you can just take any similar muffler and design something that looks the same, and expect it to be. The top manufacturers of these systems have custom mufflers, designed for proper reflection and absorption principles, as well as performance tuned combinations, to give you the proper balance.

Rick
Old 03-03-2007, 12:24 PM
passanis

Thanks for the help guys-- I'll stick with a system.