Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Located strange rattle, is it a piece of my cat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:55 AM
geddy lee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Located strange rattle, is it a piece of my cat?

Noticed an exhaust rattle recently. I have pin pointed the location. There is a small piece of something that sounds metallic inside the exhaust on the driver side right before the joint to the muffler. With the car off, if I bump the pipe from underneath I can definately hear a piece of something inside.
Questions- Is it a piece of my cat broke off?
- Is the joint easy to separate or will I probably break off the studs?

If I can get that joint apart, I think I can remove whatever it is. Should I just take it to a muffler shop?
Its a base model 2003 completely stock Thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 09:00 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its possible yes. There is stuff inside the catalytic converter which may make strange noises. No you cannot take the catalytic converter apart.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:31 AM
geddy lee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, the peice is not in the catalytic converter, its in a section of the exhaust piping right before the joint between the piping and the muffler. I just have to separate the joint but eveyone tells me if I try to take it apart, I will snap off the studs.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:52 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont listen to them. If you need to check out the connection in between the mid pipe and the muffler then go ahead and remove the bolts and take a look. When you put it back on there make sure that your gasket is lined up perfect before you start cranking on the bolts. Then little by little tighten them down slowly to ensure a solid connection. (kinda like putting on a rim) If you snap the bolts which i doubt will happen then just go get some more at an autoparts store. They are probably 10cents each.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by a "stud" but if you mean the hangers that come off the exhaust then just loosen the bolts up enough to wiggle the pipes and pull the hangers out of the rubber mounts. You will need to do this to remove the mid pipe. (its not hard) From experience though, i would leave your muffler mounted because it is a ***** to mount back up. (heavy)

Last edited by HondaKiller; 03-26-2007 at 11:57 AM.