Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Custom turbo back exhaust. Experienced opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:38 PM
diwun67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
I guess one of my main questions is how the difference between these two styles of mufflers would effect sound levels:

I assume the smaller canister would generally be louder, and the larger would tend to muffle the exhaust tone more. They're both a straight-through design, the only real difference is in the amount of sound deadening packing inside the canister.

I like the TI tips. Unfortunately the only rolled tip muffler like that with Ti tips that I've seen is on the greddy evo tt.

Anyone agree with these thoughts?
I think the oval one would muffle the exhaust a bit more, but i like the look of round canister better.

FWIW, I had RZ motoring install a 3" to two 2.5" out Magnaflow splitter that bolted up to the final 3" TN downpipe and split off to the rest of my EVO2, which are 2.4" i.d. pipes to the mufflers. The first common resonator had to be scrapped but luckily I was able to retain the 2 oval resonators of the EVO2 , and I absolutely LOVE the way it sounds. No drone at all while cruising, almost stock. Very throaty on part throttle, and of course the open dump drowns all that out once the happy gauge goes past ~5psi If you could get the EVO TT mufflers separately that would be awesome, but I'm almost positive you can't.

I'd say go with the two round canisters and try to find the biggest resonator you can fit under the car.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Zridder19

I kno the round canisters are glass packs, therefore louder, not sure of the oval shapped one tho
Old 10-23-2007, 03:44 PM
diwun67

On 2nd thought, go with the oval ones, that INGS bumper of yours will hide them well, and the tips aren't bad looking at all. I think they'll give you a more subdued sound that you're looking for. Of course this is just my opinion, and there is, unfortunately, only one way to find out...
Old 10-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you get the exhuast made with a slipfit for the muffler, you can swap them out if you do not like them.

the mufflers are under 200 a piece, so it's not that bad to have to try and sell them if you don' like it.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 PM
diwun67

Here's a pic of what I was talking about

Old 10-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Zilvia

best part about having the ability to swap mufflers....if u dont like em u can sell em to the honda ricers. lol
Old 10-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

who cares what it sounds like when you have a T72 to hear spool up!!!

hehe, i think you are on the right track. the car isnt even that loud with an open downpipe so it wont be hard to quiet it up to your likings.

MAYBE, i will have it on the dyno tomorrow, if not then the next day for sure.

sshhhh... dont tell anyone though
Old 10-23-2007, 06:13 PM
rocks

I have a 2.5" vibrant resonater, and 2.5" bottle style resonators with resonated test pipes and it wakes the dead. It sounded like a crotch rocket with just the 2.5" ultra quite.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:21 PM
taurran

I like the Ti tips on the first one, but I really dislike the round shape of it. Every time I see one it makes me think of all those crappy civics driving around with those fart cannons hanging off. As stated above, the rear apron I have will conceal the canister mostly either way I go.

I like the rolled tips on the oval one too, but they aren't quite as pimp as titanium...

Right now it's a tough call between the nice Ti tips and something quiet. I'll have to decide before tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:23 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by rocks
I have a 2.5" vibrant resonater, and 2.5" bottle style resonators with resonated test pipes and it wakes the dead. It sounded like a crotch rocket with just the 2.5" ultra quite.
Damn. looks like maybe I should go with the dual resonators and the oval mufflers then... hmm...
Old 10-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Motormouth
Banned

just paint the tips with some blue anodizes paint and 90% of the people wouldn't be able to tell anyway
Old 10-24-2007, 04:29 AM
TENGAI

JIC Magic Spartan... Can be had with resonators and if you wanted to put another one in line, it wouldn't be that difficult. The full Ti series is available in 80mm IIRC. Just my

I went with the 3" (76.3mm) JIC for my G35 (resonated) and I LOVE the exhaust note.... Should actually get a bit quieter once the turbo's in
Old 10-24-2007, 06:33 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by TENGAI
JIC Magic Spartan... Can be had with resonators and if you wanted to put another one in line, it wouldn't be that difficult. The full Ti series is available in 80mm IIRC. Just my

I went with the 3" (76.3mm) JIC for my G35 (resonated) and I LOVE the exhaust note.... Should actually get a bit quieter once the turbo's in
I'm not a big fan of the JIC offerings. I don't really like single tips, and the dual exit exhaust doesn't look like it would be for me. We were considering the AAM exhaust, but it's an absolute ripoff for the single turbo version. (they charge the same for it as the true dual system costs)

So, custom it is...
Old 10-24-2007, 06:43 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

dunno if its been suggested... but how about a greddy 3" true dual exhaust and modify it to have a 3.5 inch at the collector "reverse Y" point...adn the end of the "y" goes to the DP it can size down to what ever size the Dp is

the greddy isnt ridiculous expensive... and custom work isnt that cheap either
Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
dunno if its been suggested... but how about a greddy 3" true dual exhaust and modify it to have a 3.5 inch at the collector "reverse Y" point...adn the end of the "y" goes to the DP it can size down to what ever size the Dp is

the greddy isnt ridiculous expensive... and custom work isnt that cheap either
Already thought of that. Trust me, we can do it better and cheaper than the greddy exhaust! (minus Ti tips)

There's just something really cool about saying you designed all your stuff custom too. The more I think about it, the more I just WANT a custom exhaust setup.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:53 AM
Motormouth
Banned

and honestly, beyond the fact that it will be slightly to a lot cheaper, depending on the exhaust you would buy instead (Amuse!!!) you can ensure you are getting exactly what you want, how you want. I have seen people cut open popular exhausts to find out that the piping isn't all the same size and some uses smaller piping than what they claim...

the other thing you guys should remember is not many (if any) companies make exhausts specifically for Single turbo applications on the Z. and any exhaust that would come in to be the same price that a custom exhaust would have to had cut corners. they have a lot more overhead than you or I do

Taurran, another way to save money would be to use Aluminized steel... it's slightly heavier (what OEM is made out of) but it's significantly cheaper, but if you don't know if you are going to like it, you will be out a lot less money if you have to rework it (and expect to make revisions!) and you can mitigate the rusting by spraying it with black (or silver) anti rust, high temp paint. untreated it lasts at least 5 years in good condition.

and you made fun of me for getting my mirrors custom done, now you understand, lol

Last edited by Motormouth; 10-26-2007 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:55 AM
Motormouth
Banned

also: update?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you tried contacting Greddy of being able to purchase the mufflers or just the tips?
Old 10-28-2007, 03:45 PM
taurran

I decided to go with two Vibrant ultra quiet resonators and the Vibrant mufflers with the oval shaped canisters I linked above. I decided I'd rather have a quieter exhaust while sacrificing the Ti tips. The Ti tips will only be "cool" for so long, I'll have to live with the sound of the thing constantly.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:24 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

[QUOTE=Motormouth]and honestly, beyond the fact that it will be slightly to a lot cheaper, depending on the exhaust you would buy instead (Amuse!!!) you can ensure you are getting exactly what you want, how you want. I have seen people cut open popular exhausts to find out that the piping isn't all the same size and some uses smaller piping than what they claim...
QUOTE]

That's scary...PM me what popular exhausts

Quick Reply: Custom turbo back exhaust. Experienced opinions?