Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

06 airbox pix

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,078 Likes on 970 Posts

It's up to you on what you want to do. You already have the JWT so benefits from swapping now won't have a good return on investment. You could try to sell your JWT if you found out you wanted something else.

But finding a revup airbox is sometimes a cheap way to go. If it's cheap enough, why not give it a shot? You could always sell it. Same with the stillen. find one used for cheap enough and you could try it and sell it if you don't like it.

I found someone selling a cheap Z airbox. I took the V-stack out and put into my G airbox. This was after finding a good deal on my Stillen airbox which I still have but am not currently running. At any time, I could get my money back on either and be no worse for it. The worst thing would be having to buy the stillen or revup intakes new and taking a dump on them if you sold it later.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:33 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
Ill see what i can dig up on search, perhaps some more info/numbers on the heat soak issue and see if i can find some corresponding maf/dyno numbers with various intakes.

Id also love to see some thermo readings from the bay and intake area while being dynoed, and even better while driving. But i figure thats going to be very hard to come by, if even.
There's really not a whole lot to it. The sensor itself heats up from ingesting warm/hot air. Just picture both extremes. A piece of wire with a column of air from the hottest place on earth vs a column of air from the arctic. Picture the first extreme, then lets say the car starts moving, then all of a sudden the sensor is reading the cold air. From it's initial "hotter" state, it has to cool down to the temp of the new air passing over it to give an accurate reading. (The MAF isn't exactly this simple, but it's just for illustration purposes.)

The delay is the issue. Not for me, or my type of driving, but I can see where it can cause problems.

TK
Old 08-19-2009, 05:36 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T_K
There's really not a whole lot to it. The sensor itself heats up from ingesting warm/hot air. Just picture both extremes. A piece of wire with a column of air from the hottest place on earth vs a column of air from the arctic. Picture the first extreme, then lets say the car starts moving, then all of a sudden the sensor is reading the cold air. From it's initial "hotter" state, it has to cool down to the temp of the new air passing over it to give an accurate reading. (The MAF isn't exactly this simple, but it's just for illustration purposes.)

The delay is the issue. Not for me, or my type of driving, but I can see where it can cause problems.

TK
Oh i def understand the process, by more research i meant finding the actual effects of this process in more detail and actual numbers for both intake setups. And how much this MAF delay ACTUALLY effects hp/tq, and in what part of the powerband and for how long and what speeds and etc, etc.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:01 AM
nismou20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 intake on 03 350z

While the debating continues I thought I'd offer my thoughts on this mod borrowing a friends 06 airbox. I was dissapointed. It's loud (throatier) but takes away from low end power. Once you get past 4k it's nice. I'm not the type to run it up into the stratosphere of RPM's and enjoy low/mid torque. I swapped it right back to stock. Once again I'm happy! and HR-Y pipe really helps the low end even more!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Jeff92se

Odd, the taller v-stack is a low end improver type mod.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:28 AM
garu

I just removed 06 intake box and install the pop charger.
I don't notice any sound difference, is that normal? Or did I do something wrong?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:34 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by garu
I just removed 06 intake box and install the pop charger.
I don't notice any sound difference, is that normal? Or did I do something wrong?
Wow, i dont have any experience with the 06 airbox but i know the PC is loud as hell. I cant even hear my Injen SES at WOT because the PC drowns it out...and for those of you who know, the Injen SES is loud!

Both setups utilize venturi stack which is what creates that noise you hear. I would assume the box is quieter, though, due to the fact that filter is enclosed.

I dont think you did anything wrong, JWT intake is a basic install.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:16 PM
garu

Yea.. I thought there would be big sound difference like everybody else claimed here.
But I don't hear anything.. Weird..
Old 08-31-2009, 05:30 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Well you shouldnt really hear anything unless at WOT.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Mr. Nibiru

Originally Posted by bballgms
i think this is the rule of thumb 06>pop>DE stock intake
Yes. Show me dynos if you disagree.

OEM engineers spend countless hours developing these intakes. If it's good enough for the GTR at $90,000, it's good enough for my $30,000 car.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
ndelgro

Originally Posted by bballgms
i think this is the rule of thumb 06>pop>DE stock intake
So is the intake on the 05 35th Anniversary Edition the same as the 06?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Mr. Nibiru

Another thing to point out is the refinement the 350z went through until reaching the HR motor. They swapped to the 06+ designed airbox for a reason. If it didn't have any benefit they wouldn't have swapped to it.

I also believe that the president of motordyne (a rocket scientist literally) Tony said that some aftermarket intakes throw off the air/fuel so when they swapped to the stock airbox they actually got better gains. Here is the dyno with Tony present and you can read what he says. So I think I'll go with the engineers with maste degrees who designed the airbox and a rocket scientist who has developed some of the best bang for the buck. I'll choose them over a bunch of guys who are biased because they bought a product and it's on their cars.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...n/viewall.html
Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 PM
mgrotel

i have an 06 g35 coupe. except i have an auto and the non-rev up motor. which airbox do i have?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Jeff92se

Open the hood and find out.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

G35's are easy to check as the airbox comes apart. However, based on some of the reports, it would seem you probably have the non velocity stack version.

The pic i posted is a kit made in England that first perfectly into the 350 airbox and does the same thing. It's identical to the Nissan version.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:20 PM
mgrotel

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Open the hood and find out.
i wont be around my car for a couple weeks, bad things have happened
Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 PM
mgrotel

now that i think about it, there is no velocity stack if i remember correctly.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:15 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm I was under the impression that all revups had that airbox. Any '05 G35 6-speed or '05 Anny/GT 350z owners able to confirm?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

I think they worked out that the auto's didn't get it in those years, but this is G35 talking.

Quick Reply: 06 airbox pix